“Worst Hotel Stay Ever”

Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Do NOT stay at this hotel. While the location to Penn Station--Newark and Rutgers University is good, the walls are thin and it's incredibly noisy, the service is poor, the wakeup calls are nonexistent, staff seem like they hate their jobs, the rooms seem unclean, and all in all it was a horrible experience and by far the most subpar place I've ever stayed at (and that includes not only other national travel but even international hostels).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I travel frequently to the Newark area on our way to the Dominican Republic.....at least twice a year. We have stayed in a number of other hotels in the area and this was our first visit to the Best Western Plus - Robert Treat Hotel.

The name alone sort of caught our attention. At first it was difficult to remember...however, after a brief introduction by our shuttle bus driver the name and the historical significance will remain forever in our memories. Built in 1916 the Robert Treat Hotel is still an important landmark. In the very beginning it provided accommodations for President Woodrow Wilson and Mrs Wilson. I learned that they too also stayed on the fifth floor...however they stayed in the presidential suites. So that bit of information caught my attention. Then not long after in 1933...Albert Einstein had been welcomed and honoured at this very hotel by some very distinguished individuals. Yes..... the Robert Treat was and is a very special place in the heart of the city of Newark.

We were overnight guests of the Robert Treat Hotel on the 13th and the 29th of April 2014. We were informally briefed, about the hotel, by the shuttle bus driver and welcomed at the hotel by the Assistant Front Desk Manager Blesson Samuel. Once we were settled into our room we made our way to the Maize Restaurant and we enjoyed a wonderful meal.....Luis recommended the Chicken Garlic dinner and we appreciated his suggestion. A nice restaurant, friendly waiter staff, fine food and a reasonably priced menu. In addition to a fine restaurant the Hotel also provides a complimentary breakfast which is served in the lower lobby room. You will be surprised at the quality and quantity of breakfast food items that are provided as a complimentary breakfast. The staff consisting of two very friendly ladies will assist you in any way they can to ensure that you will totally enjoy this breakfast experience.

We were very pleased with the room in general...clean and comfortable.....all items in the room have been updated, flat screen TV, comfortable furniture and every effort made to make your visit a pleasant experience. The hotel is located in a quiet area and far enough away from the international airport so that you will get a good nights sleep.

All in all we enjoyed our visit and would be pleased to recommend it to others. We will be on our way to the Dominican Republic again in Fall and have full intentions of visiting the Robert Treat Hotel again. After all..... if the President of the United States and his wife stayed there.....and we can't forget Albert Einstein. I must take a deep breath, close my eyes and say "Yes! I stayed there as well". Thank you so much Best Western Plus for a super experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Wally389
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Upon arrival on site, friendly, cooperative and helpful staff at front desk. The hotel was clean and the rooms also. Food at the restaurant was outstanding, very tasteful. I traveled with 48 travelers and they were very pleased. The manager/owner, Mr. Winston Reyes was very nice, friendly, accommodating, making every effort to enhance our stay. This was my first time staying here and I will return in the future. Thank you Mr. Reyes!

Room Tip: I cannot say any room was better than the other because we had no complaints.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel is great!! The food in the restaurant and drinks was spot on, we arrived early so had lunch in the restaurant, the special that day was Lobster Ravioli w/ a shrimp cream sauce...UM can you say DELIGHTFUL!!! My friend had the chicken and avocado sandwich and said it was good too. We had a slight snag when our room was ready as clerk stated had us in a smoking room which I had reserved a non-smoking room, but it was soon rectified and all was good. The shuttle was very reliable except for one evening but seriously I think it was the front desks mix up NOT anything to do with the shuttle drivers. I figure using the shuttle a total of 7 times and only one slight wait past what it should've been was Pretty Dang AWESOME!!! The breakfast area and "spread" were GREAT!!! Room was clean and well "stocked" the little bottles of water each day were an added PLUS...Will I stay at this hotel again YOU BET!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My iPad was stolen in my room. The security chief told me that I could either file a police report or he could waive my two-night room bills. He refused to talk about the compensation for the value of a new iPad. It took me 2 hours for his nonsense. Eventually, I was compensated $399 for the value of a new iPad, but I still had to pay for my stay. This property has some party issues because during my 2-night stays, I saw at least 3~4 groups of people got kicked out of the hotel. Definitely wouldn't stay there ever.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tianyu W
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I travel quite a bit from hotel to hotel, and in the area have been to quite a few hotels. I must say this is the first time I have had trouble sleeping in a hotel. For starters, my room was given right next to the elevators. Every time the elevator would go up or down I would hear it, and I heard it all night long. Secondly I'm pretty sure their thermostat's are fake because no matter how much I attempted to change the temperature it would remain constantly at this unbearable high temperature. Even when I turned off the thermostat, it was still going strong. The walls seem like they were made of cardboard because I swear every time a neighbour opened a door it seemed like mine was being opened. I strongly urge anyone looking into getting a hotel for a night look somewhere else, I have been to many other hotels in the area and all of them are strides ahead of this one.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Grisham R
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I live in NYC, but unfortunately there is no viable way to get to Newark for a 6.45am flight on a Sunday morning, so faced with the choice of a $100 cab fare (from Queens) to the airport, or an $80 hotel (through Hotwire), we chose the latter, and we weren't disappointed. Newark has a reputation for being "edgy", but the Robert Treat is in one of the safer neighborhoods and is a 10 minute walk from Newark (Penn) station/PATH station; the walk is through a commercial district and we didn't feel unsafe at all at 11pm on a Saturday night.

The hotel is nicely appointed; big, spacious lobby and efficient check-in (as in it took around 90 seconds). The room was recently renovated, clean, spacious and with a decent view over the East River. The shuttle bus the next morning left on time (they go every half hour) and took less than 10 minutes to get us to the terminal. Overall a much more pleasant experience than waking up at 3.30am and getting a cab from Queens, through Manhattan, to Jersey.

The only disappointment was that breakfast didn't start til 6.30am; considering it markets itself as an airport hotel it should start early enough to cater for the inevitable guests who use the airport as a staging point for an early flight.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the east river
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple