“DISGUSTING”

Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband traveled with me for a one-night's stay on business to the Best Western, formally known as Robert Treat Hotel. I chose it for its proximity to my business meeting. We experienced several issues during our short stay. Although we received a AAA discount, as well as a $19 credit after complaining; however, we still overpaid ($117)- regardless of its location. We did not check in until 2 a.m., and after traveling hours, had to wait for someone to come to the desk from upstairs. It took almost an hour to park in the narrow lane called a parking lot, in which cars were illegally parked in Fire Zones- which made parking additionally difficult. We were then disgusted by the accommodations, as the room was in dire need of updating and extensive cleaning. I found Skittles in various areas of the room, showing debris was pushed under the couch and bed. When I attempted to shower, the pressure was extremely low which was exacerbated by the calcium crusted shower head which only permitted a painful stream of water to shoot out. The heat did not work. The toilet clogged. DISGUSTING! I wish I knew there was a hotel down the street, or had chosen to drive from EWR. We received indifference and excuses in response to our complaints.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank V W

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Hotel TV lineup does not include FNC (Fox News Channel). Restaurants in area not memorable. Staff is not super friendly. Parking is too crowded. Saw lots of vehicles with scrapes and bumps due to inability to drive out between cars.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed 29 May 2014

As other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are small. It's hilarious really. They are super duper small. Tiny, tiny rooms. I am smiling as I write this, because I know what you are thinking (Or at least I think I do). You are wondering if small equals bad. Nope. I loved it. Let me tell you why. The flat-screen TV was anchored to the wall. The remote was one of those that you can wipe off (yea! for me the OCD Queen). The bed was soft and huge (so, yes, it took up 3/4 of the room). There was actually a tiny little seating area in the room. I should have taken a picture. It was unbelievable. The bathroom was also tiny. But it was completely white, so I was happy. The sink was functional (read: little). There was a desk. Robert Treat Hotel is perfect if you are looking for a way to be a tourist in New York and not have to pay New York hotel prices. The cost was about $110 a night when I stayed there in March of 2014. Pretty cheap. Convenient as well: The hotel will take you to Penn Station as well as pick you up. Free shuttle, anyone? Breakfast is included. Now, you can pack a couple of bagels in your day bag, wait downstairs for the shuttle, get a free ride to Penn Station and spend the couple dollars it costs to ride the PATH train, get off anywhere in NYC and HAVE.A.BALL. All on a budget. Look, Im not gonna lie. It's NOT the Ritz. But who cares? It's got all the bang you need for your tourist buck. Oh, and it's clean.
On the down side, the walls are crazy thin. But, hopefully, you'll be so tired from walking around NYC all day, you truly will not care. I think. One more thing. Like most hotels, they also have a free shuttle from the Newark Airport. Cool, right?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank ZJnsn
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights which allowed us ample time to explore New York, situated within a 5 minute walk of Penn Station (Newark) or you could use the free hotel shuttle to station.

Breakfast is included which is good value and gets you off to a good start. Had a little trouble with the in room safe and A.C., safe fixed but A.C. never cooled room down so had to sleep with window open, not too much of a problem if you don’t mind the noise.

The food at the hotel restaurant was good but overpriced as you could get the same at the bar for a lot less, also the atmosphere in the restaurant was non existent and the background music was better suited to an elevator, sit at the bar and you can at least watch the sports on TV and chat to the staff.

On site parking was free which was great as we just parked up for 5 days and used the PATH Rail System from Penn Station, well worth it.

Not too many places to eat nearby so I suggest you eat before returning to hotel but bar ok for evening drink as staff are friendly.

Free Wi-Fi, free parking, free shuttle, good value, nice rooms and friendly staff, would stay again, check it out

Room Tip: We stayed on 10 th floor which was quiet until we opened window, but room was good
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CCDH
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights for our trip to New York City. We used the Newark Penn Station each day and the hotel was only a 10-15 minute walk from the station along an acceptable route. The parking was small and could use improvement but it was acceptable. The room had a minor carpet cleaner smell but after the first night we got used to it. The bed and bathroom were comfortable and we enjoyed the coffee in our room. The walls are a bit thin, so be sure to know other guests wake up bright and early, so sleeping in can be hard. Regardless, the value for the price was great while being so close to NYC.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher C
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

First off the rooms are very small. Barely bigger than the bed. This fine since it is only one night layover. The worst problem is the incredibly loud noise coming from the elevator right next to the room. Who is the moron that designs a hotel and puts rooms directly next to the elevator!!! All the people that work at the front desk and the managers of this hotel should stay in this room. If they did, they would not assign these rooms to people. Thank god it is only one night. I guess I will sleep on the plane home.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Edward R
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Very good hotel. Good service. Good rooms. Good prices. The hotel is located within walking distance of the Pru Center and NJPAC. Plenty of free parking. Complimentary free breakfast is more than you would expect.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family