“Great access to New York City”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Rio Vista, CA
“Great access to New York City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hotels in NYC were so expensive and I was staying with my daughter and granddaughter. We booked the Best Western Robert Treat for its price and location. It was blocks away from Penn Station and the shuttle was a nice treat. We did have to wait quite awhile late at night and they met us at a side of the station that was closed at night so we had to walk around the station in a not-too-safe area. It would have been better if they would have met us at the side that was open as there were taxis, police cars and people on that side. The shuttle to the airport was great as was the free parking. Riding the train to NYC Penn station was easy and then we connected with the subway. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was fine and it was good to have good coffee and a bagel before starting the day. Jamilla, in the breakfast room was such a bright and friendly face! Everyone there treated us well.

1 Thank Corvettesue322

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chambersburg, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Spent a weekend touring NYC but didn't want to pay NY hotel rates. We stayed at the Best Western Robert Treat Hotel in Newark and Took the train in and out of the city. The shuttle from the hotel to Penn Station runs every 1/2 hour 24/7. No driving, no parking fees and the train is $2.50. A great way to see the sights. The folks at the front desk were helpful with NY city maps and tours. We started our days off with breakfast at the hotel with cereal, coffee, egg sandwiches, juice and pastries. Plenty of fuel for our adventures. We're planning our next NYC trip and it will start at the Best Western Robert Treat Hotel in Newark NJ.

1 Thank Byron S
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

The only good thing I can say is that the hotel was clean and it is in a good location. Other than that I was not satisfied and here's why..........
The wait for the shuttle from Penn Station was over 30 minutes when I was told it would be 10 minutes. When the shuttle came the driver did not assist us with your bags, did not open the door, and barely spoke (no tip for him). Got to the hotel and the staff was not friendly ( no smiles) or helpful. The lady that helped me did not give me any information regarding the complimentary breakfast, how the shuttle ran, or anything else that I might of needed to know about my stay at the hotel. It seemed that I was more of a bother than a guest. In the room there was only 2 wash clothes but three of us. I had to ask 3 different people and times in order to get a washcloth to take a shower. The next day on on our way back from NYC we had to wait over 45 minutes for the shuttle. I had to call 3 times. It was only suppose to be a 10 minute wait. Once again the driver (a different one) did not speak or open the door for us ( no tip for him either). Maybe I am wrong but I like to be treated like I am an important person when I stay at a hotel because I pay my money like everyone else and I want to feel that the hotel staff appreciate my business.
Tried the food at the Maize restaurant had order pizza for the kids and shrimp with lemon sauce for me. We did not enjoy it at all. My boys said it was like eating pizza from a school lunch lol
I personally would not go back or recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MsWalker703
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We needed a place to stay for a night as my son was arriving @ JFK 6:30pm and flying out of Newark Liberty 6:30 the next morning and it didn't make sense to drive back and forth from the jersey shore. After reading countless reviews I settled on the Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel. I could not have been happier, the staff were a pleasure and always smiling, helpful,and informative. The parking is free (not easily found in the area) and the attendants of the lot were so hard working to keep on top of everyone coming and going. The desk staff , usually sets the tone for my experience, were awesome: smiling, helpful and informative; greeted every guest upon arrival, even if it was eye contact and a smile while assisting another guest. The hotel was very clean and free from odors. There is a free shuttle to Newark Penn Station as well as Newark Liberty airport, the very clean van leaves promptly from in front of the hotel every half hour 24 hours a day. For return trip they give you a card with a phone number and precise instructions of how and where to meet the van to return. We were very fortunate in that as we arrived to the meeting area a van was pulling up to Penn station and we had no wait at all. Terrence, the shuttle driver was a hoot......providing us stories explaining the history of the city, the hotel and Robert Treat himself, entertaining stories prompting interaction, not a dull lecture. He also gave us the run down of exactly where to go to catch the train we wanted, exactly where to buy our tickets, how much it would cost and directions to the track we needed. Easy and convenient to NYC, hotel to Penn station NY at a leisurely pace took about 45 minutes. There is a restaurant and I think breakfast but we didn't take advantage of either. The only con would be when we got back to our room, around 11pm, the free wifi (also a rare find in the area) was overloaded and we couldn't access it, as it was for leisure not business that really was just a minor annoyance not a problem. A little more than I would you pay however, given the area, the comparison to local properties and the amenities it was well worth it. I would definitely stay again.

1 Thank LAC721
Gunnison
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

On a business trip where I needed to be picked up at airport and shuttled to train station, this hotel has an ideal location in the heart of Newark. The breakfast lounge area was very nice and the breakfast items were great. You could walk to Penn station from the hotel, but I chose not to because I had small luggage. Would stay here if I ever plan a social trip to the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Cotton H
San Jose, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I attended a conference at this hotel. Staff went above and beyond to give us everything we wanted. Very convenient to Newark Penn Station and Newark Airport. You don't need a car, but if you do - they have parking too. Very quiet and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Good hotel at very good price. Full value for money. Easy to commute to Manhattan. I will stay there again for sure. Breakfast was average. They have shuttle service 24 hrs to the newark penn station and newark airport

• Stayed May 2014