“It'll do if you're stranded at the airport, keep your expectations low”

Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I had to stay in this hotel a couple weeks ago because I missed a connecting flight due to a really bad thunder storm. By the time I got to Newark this was the cheapest hotel I could find and they didn't have many rooms left so I booked one right away. I wish I had paid a few extra dollars for the Hilton because we had to wait a long time for the Wyndham shuttle to show up at the airport. I saw the Hilton and Holiday Inn shuttles show up a few times during the long wait, I would pick them over staying at the Wyndham again for that reason.
Once we finally got to the hotel we had to wait in a very long line to check in, before we finally got to a disheveled looking room. I don't think the A/C worked in my room, but at 2am after a rough day of traveling, I didn't care.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
gardenhotelnewark, Webmaster at Wyndham Garden Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback. I’m sorry that the weather conditions created a bit of slow down for our shuttle and a backup at the check-in desk. Fortunately, these kinds of problems are rare. I’m sincerely sorry about this situation and that you did not find the room completely to your likely. Hundreds are satisfied each month, and I apologize that we did not satisfy you.

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Garden Newark Airport

Reviewed 2 June 2014

An overbooked flight home led me to unexpectedly stay overnight in Newark. With my airline vouchers in hand I boarded the shuttle and made my way to the Wyndham Garden Hotel. Based on outward appearances I could tell this was an older property but I was going to stay positive; hey it's a free night. For being nearly 10:30pm the lobby and check-in was busy and bustling with people but the front desk staff moved the line quickly and I had my room key in hand sooner than I expected.

The room itself was pretty standard but was recently modernized with updated curtains and furniture. The king sized bed was stiff but it would do for the night. Again, there were spots showcasing the age of the property but at least the owners made an effort to revitalize the hotel. The bathroom was decent enough but I was taken aback when I lowered the toilet seat cover and saw the elementary school-grade pull handle plumbing. As mentioned in other posts flushing the toilet created a lot of splashback but that unit could probably suck a turkey down with no problems.

I would like to especially recognize this hotel for not only providing free WiFi but providing QUALITY service with an especially strong signal. So often we hear of hotels either charging for WiFi or the signal is so weak it's not even worth checking your email on but not the case here. I videochatted and streamed music with not a moment of lag or outages all for free. Many kudos Wyndham!

The airline hooked my up with $21 in meal vouchers for myself as well. Being totally unfamiliar with the area I decided to stay local and eat in the onsite restaurant. The restaurant didn't close until midnight but I was the only person dining at this hour so I wondered how good the food would be at this point in the evening. I ordered the lemon-garlic salmon filet and OMG I was shocked when it arrived. I was given a huge piece of fish perfectly cooked and with an abundance of sides to accompany it. Again, exterior looks are deceiving as I was definitely not expecting to enjoy my meal as much as I did.

In sum, while this is not the newest property around (by a long shot) this hotel excels because they get the basics consistently right. If you are looking for luxury I suggest you look elsewhere but for a no-nonsense stay close to EWR I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. While you are correct that this is not a new property, we believe we’ve done a great job in keeping up with maintenance and with trends and changes in the industry. I’m so glad that you were pleased with the wifi signal, the restaurant and most other services and amenities we provide. We look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Room was comfortable and clean

Had a problem checking in at the reservations desk. Although my company paid for my 3 night stay the person working at the counter asked me to pay again. I paid to quicken the check in and now I have to get my money back from my company.. The sad part is the person checking me in wasn't new..

Poor reservations desk..

Hotel shuttle only takes you to the train stop which you then have to take a bus to take you to the individual terminals..

Food at the lounge was cheap and good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I’m glad we were able to provide a clean, comfortable room and some amenities that satisfied you. I’m sorry, however, that there was a mix up regarding the payment for your room. I’m glad this didn’t detract too much from your stay, and I look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Good hotel for the price - The staff was easy to communicate with and the room was decent. Food is ok!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I’m so pleased that we were able to satisfy you. Our goal is to provide clean, comfortable rooms that satisfy all guests, and it’s great to know that we’re doing our job. We focus on meeting all customer needs, and we look forward to having you back with us so we can serve you again. We hope we further exceed your expectations next time.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We booked the hotel for an overnight visit before starting te road trip. There was a free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel. The employee at the reception was very helpful when we asked what we could do with the spare time we had.
There wasn't a complimentary breakfast, but in the restaurant we could order breakfast. It was basic, but tastefull, and the employee was very friendly.
Overall a very good hotel to spend a night with friendly employees.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I’m so pleased that you had a good experience with us. We strive to provide the amenities you need for a comfortable stay. I’m especially pleased that our staff was so helpful to you. We appreciate positive comments like these and look forward to having you with us again whenever you need to stop in the area.

A Wyndham traveler