“Bad Service”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Calgary, Canada
“Bad Service”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights. First night not bad.. Second night waited for 1 hour and 20 minutes in the restaurant for 3 small pizzas. They were very busy but people who came in after us were getting their meals, eating and leaving, while we waited. The waiter never came over to explain anything or offer water, appies while we waited, nothing. We complained to the manager who gave us excuses but not reasons. He said he would adjust our bill. Never happened.
The next night I stepped on a piece of glass between the beds. We had broken nothing during out stay, so must have been from a previous guest and not picked up by the vaccuum.
The worst was the last day when we left for the airport. Again very busy and we nearly didn't get on the shuttle as everyone was taking it to the aiport to go to Jersey Gardens Mall. Perhaps priority to the guests who had to catch flights might have been nice. My husband got on the bus to save us seats. The driver was putting the luggage in the back and told us to get on board. I showed him the 3 bags that were ours. We get to the airport and one of my husbands is missing. He left it behind. No apologies just said there were a lot of bags., So they had to go back to the hotel to get it, Luckily it was still there. Will not stay here again, and could not recommend it to anyone. An apology from the restaurant and the driver would have gone a long way.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
gardenhotelnewark, Webmaster at Wyndham Garden Newark Airport, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I’m terribly sorry that a few incidents detracted so much from you stay, but I sincerely thank you for your multiple-night stay. I apologize that there were problems with the amenities we provided and with the housekeeping and the restaurant. These are not an indication of how we normally do business, and I hope you will try us again to see how we usually operate.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our GPS took us to the Holiday Inn Express with the 550 US Hwy 9 address. The HI Express staff said that always happens & told us what address to enter to actually get to the Wyndham Garden Inn. Unfortunately, I can't find it now.
The hotel does not have a hot tub, the staff said it never had one. I showed them where it was listed as an amenity on their website & a week later their website is still showing a hot tub.
We got a room with 2 double beds. It was small, dark, and there was minimal space between the furniture. Everything appeared clean and functional.
The hall carpeting ended before our room and went to bare concrete.
The potholes in the parking lot are treacherous. Be aware of your footing when walking.
In summary, I did not feel comfortable at the Wyndham Garden Inn, but the room was okay.

Room Tip: I think I overheard that the rooms with king-size beds do not face the airport.
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry that a GPS error beyond our control and other issues detracted so much from your stay with us. We strive to provide the best experience in town at a reasonable price, and we obviously failed you in this case. I hope you will accept my apology and try us again in the future.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel was very accommodating for a park, fly, stay out of Newark Airport. The shuttle to and from the airport was one of the best we have ever experienced. The staff was very courteous to us. Getting out of the hotel was a bit confusing ... but, hey, that's the price you pay for being less than a mile from the airport!

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your very kind comments. We’re located here specifically for the convenience, and I’m glad that appealed to you so much. We take great pride in this hotel and the amenities we provide, and I’m pleased that we so thoroughly satisfied you. Thanks for staying with us --and please come back again soon.

Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, visting New York City area. This was a lot better price per night then in New York City. The hotel is older, room was clean, house keeping was accommodating with any of our requests for extra towels, coffee packettes, etc.. There is a restaurant in the hotel that served up very good meals. Our breakfast waitress was excellent. We ate dinner one evening at the restaurant and service was also excellent. Location was good for getting to New York city. Drive by car wasn't bad and for the adventurous the hotel staff gives you written instructions on getting to the city by mass transit. Did that a couple of times and it really was easy. My only complaint was for my own comfort the beds were too stiff.

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments and for staying four nights with us. I’m pleased you found our hotel to be a great value, so accommodating and so pleasant for you. I apologize that the bed didn’t meet your needs. I hope you asked for a different room since every bed is a little different in some ways. In any case, I’m glad we could provide such value to you and hope you will stay with us again.

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed on June 14th thrue June 17th in room 579 this year and I loved my room. Comftorble bed, clean room & friendly and good service. The starlite restaurant had great menu, affordable prices and the waiter was awoseme.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 5th floor and its better view and more relaxing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your kind comments. I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us as so many others do. We strive to provide clean, comfortable rooms at a great value and also a great staff, and it looks we met that goal in your case. I look forward to having you with us again when you come to the area the next time.

Adirondack Mountains, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2014

While close to Liberty International Airport, Newark, NJ, the hotel is located in an almost unsavory location with a security gate at the entrance. A rather dated building with a busy lobby, but featuring clean rooms and a friendly helpful staff. Frequent shuttle service to the airport. Difficult to reach by auto because the spaghetti-like road system.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank woodsman7
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. While most guests appreciate the convenience of our location and the added security features we provide, I’m sorry that we did not fully meet your expectations. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your needs, but I’m pleased you enjoyed our clean rooms and friendly staff. I hope you will forgive any inconvenience and stay with us again when the need arises.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stay here because my son is a Wyndham time share owner. Service, room, transportation have all changed. We reserved 2 rooms for 8 people. Both rooms had one bed, had to go back downstairs and get rooms changed. Opened drawer in new room and found old onion rings and sandwich...awful. When we called for van transportation upon our return, waited forever, 2 other hotel vans for one Wyndam. Really wasn't a good deal for park and fly package, others in our party stayed at different hotel, same cost with breakfast and van transportation.

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry some issues detracted from your stay and caused you to enjoy your stay with us less than you might have. We take great pride in the property and are constantly improving it. I sincerely apologize if we failed to meet your expectations in this case and hope you will try us again soon.

Hotel Manager.