“Met our needs”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Devon, PA
“Met our needs”
Reviewed 13 June 2009

We stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel the night before we had an early flight. We used the fly and park option. Our car was there for 10 days and we had no problems. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, and the shuttle service was fine. It was priced well and met our needs.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
managementewr, Manager at Wyndham Garden Newark Airport, responded to this review, 15 June 2009
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. I am glad we met your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2009

I used this hotel to crash before a 6:45 am flight the next morning - probably what most people use this hotel for - and it was acceptable for that purpose. It's cheap, which is good, but not particularly clean, quiet or comfortable. Free wireless internet was a plus, but it was really, really slow.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Trinman80
managementewr, management at Wyndham Garden Newark Airport, responded to this review, 5 May 2009
I would first like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am happy that we meet your expectations in some areas, but disappointed we did not deliver 100% satisfaction. Your title “What do you expect"...our answer is a clean comfortable and enjoyable stay. Once again I apologize if that was not delivered. Just for future reference, if you are not happy with a hotel's guest room; please take the liberty to let the front desk know of your dissatisfaction. This gives them an opportunity, to change your room, hopefully to one that is to your liking and also, gives the hotel an opportunity to help make your stay more enjoyable. Thank you again for the opportunity to review your comments.
California
Reviewed 24 April 2009

1. The location was OK. Shuttle to Newark Airport.
2. The price was OK.
3. The hotel was a typical airport hotel. The room was clean, comfortable and functional. I chose this hotel because the rent-a-car company that I was using had its office in the hotel building (good rates).
4. The front staffers were efficient and friendly.
Overall, it’s not the Ritz, but a perfectly adequate airport hotel. No complaints.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Mebaka
managementewr, Management at Wyndham Garden Newark Airport, responded to this review, 27 April 2009
I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am happy that we met your expectations, and your stay was enjoyable. Hoping to see you again. Be Well
islandwebb
Reviewed 12 March 2009

We stayed there in February using their park and fly option. The room was clean. The shuttle was timely. The price was fair and the car was fine after 9 days in the parking lot. The staff was very nice. I wouldn't want to stay a week, but for the night it was fine.
The big BUT is with the road construction in the area it is very difficult to get to the hotel. Call in advance. Get specific instructions from the hotel not the website. The website instructions are missing some steps. Do not wait until you are driving around the area. Do it in advance.
We fly out of Newark. It's not that we hadn't been in the area before. It took us 1 hour and 1/2 from the first time that we passed the hotel, until we were able to park the car. Considering that we needed to catch the 3:40 a.m. shuttle and we didn't check in until 12:00, this was a big issue. The people at the front desk know that this is an issue and it's appears that it will be for a while. I see that management tends to reply to trip advisor comments. If they see this review now, I would ask them to put an option on their phone menu for directions from the New Jersey Turnpike. You have a menu for everything else. Trust me. I heard it a few times. This would be helpful.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank islandwebb
managementewr, manager at Wyndham Garden Newark Airport, responded to this review, 13 March 2009
I would first like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and your stay was not 100%enjoyable. I agree it is very frustrating when your not sure where you are driving. There is some construction on the surrounding highways and unfortunately it can be confusing. The State of New Jersey and The City of Newark will not allow us to post additional signage on the highways to offer arrow directions, because they claim, with their experience this causes unnecessary accidents. My fear is that by the time we get the approvals, the construction will be completed, but we will continue with our endeavors. Thank you for the advice, regarding verbal automated directions from the NJ Turnpike. I will forward your request to the hotel's marketing team to make the proper adjustments..Thank you again !
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 3 February 2009

The Wyndham Garden Newark Airport was reincarnated from the old Ramada Inn, and not much has changed. The property still bears more relation to its predecessor than others under this brand name. Read on for more:

LOCATION:
The hotel is located right on the main highway (Route 1-9) that runs alongside Newark International Airport. Its driveway opens onto a major road near one of the main airport off-ramps, so getting in and out is a high-speed and rather hairy affair. Most guests will probably be arriving by shuttle, though, and the hotel's shuttle is reasonably effective and runs roughly every 20 minutes. Because of the highway layout, getting from the airport to the hotel involves looping around several interchanges and ending up going right back the way you came -- about a 10-minute journey. However, getting back to the airport is a straight shot, and takes only 3-4 minutes from the hotel's front door to Terminal A. Note that all hotel shuttle pickups are from Newark Airport AirTrain stop P4, so don't look for the shuttle outside the terminal.

PROPERTY:
Most of the hotel's lobby is in good condition, though somewhat small and cramped if there's a lot of people waiting around. The lounge area is clean and well-stocked. The restaurant on the first floor is a bit greasy-spoon in both its appearance and cuisine, so don't expect any 5-star dining. The large parking lot is gated, but this IS Newark, so don't ever leave valuables in plain sight in your car! The hotel has two elevators, but they're painfully slow, so able-bodied guests will want to locate the stairways.

ROOMS:
Here is where the hotel really shows its age, and could use some improvement. The rooms are kept clean, but all of the fixtures are aging, and the heater/AC is one of the old in-wall types that makes a dreadful noise when it kicks on. The bathroom is well-appointed, but aging... the ceramic on the bathtub was worn-through to black iron in some spots. Most annoyingly, there is almost nothing in the way of amenities. There is no clock in the room, a real shortage of power outlets, even near the work desk, and in my case, while I had a TV, the remote control was missing! I mentioned it to the front desk staff, and at least during my stay, it was never replaced. The rooms, including one of our meeting rooms, also all had a strange smoky odor about them -- whether the non-smoking floors were recently converted from smoking, or whether the ventilation just pulls down smoke from the smoking floors, I don't know. While the room was never really smoky, there was no mistaking the fact that someone had, or was, smoking in the immediate vicinity.

AMENITIES:
The hotel has a coffee shop in the lobby, in addition to the bar and restaurant. There is a business center and an exercise room on the second floor. Rooms have ok wireless Internet signal available, though there is no wired option. All rooms have an in-room safe.

BUSINESS SERVICES:
Other than a couple of lounge-like meeting rooms on the first floor, the meeting rooms on the second floor are converted/combined guest rooms. While sufficient for meetings of up to maybe 20 people, it's tough to move around on the edges when everyone is seated. The catered breakfasts and snacks are... pretty bad. Breakfast muffins tasted like they'd been encased in industrial plastic wrap for about a week. Wireless Internet tends to slow down significantly when more than about 6 or 7 people are connected. Most annoyingly, there are only a few single-unit, unisex bathrooms on the meeting level, so if your meeting takes a break and everyone runs at once, there's entirely insufficient facilities available. Anyone staying in the hotel would do best to just go back to your room!

STAFF:
The hotel's staff were reasonably efficient at basic tasks, but relatively non-responsive to most others. My missing remote control is one example, but another key one would be the shuttle and the complete lack of communication on when it will actually run. While generally scheduled to go every 20 minutes, it pretty much leaves whenever it wants... if one schedule is running 15 minutes late, they'll send it at 4:35 and _call_ it the 4:20 shuttle, for instance, so anyone waiting for the 4:40 shuttle just has to sit there and be 15 minutes late, rather than them just holding the shuttle 5 more minutes. So the timing might be best described as "3 times per hour", but every 20 minutes it is not! In general, the staff was under-trained and rather disinterested in guest service, but they keep the place running, and the basics are generally covered.

Overall, the hotel is about what one would expect from a converted Ramada in Newark. Wyndham Hotels has a way to go to revitalize this property into something worthy of their brand, but for travelers looking for a nearby (and cheap) place to stop before heading for better locales, the Wyndham Garden is a far cry from the worst hotel in the area. Go in expecting 2.5-3 stars, and you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — Convenient return to Newark airport
  • Disliked — It could do better if it tried -- but hey, that's Newark.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Darlox
managementewr, Management at Wyndham Garden Newark Airport, responded to this review, 4 February 2009
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am happy that we met your expectations in some areas, but disappointed that we did not offer 100% satisfaction. The Wyndham Garden Hotel brand is designed to be a smaller version of a Wyndham Hotel and Resort and unfortunately, due to limited space, our amenities are slightly different. We compensate those differences with a more aggressive price strategy, as you experienced. Regarding your comments on our newly renovated guest room; I will discuss this matter with the hotel's Chief Engineer to perhaps review his maintenance programs. Thank you again for sharing your comments and for your input.
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed 24 January 2009

My husband and I stayed in the Wyndham Garden Hotel when our flight departing from Newark was canceled due to bad weather.
The hotel seemed fine until we woke up at 5:30 in the morning to find BED BUGS in our bed. I took one down to the front desk and we asked for our stay for free. We were told that only the manager can comp a hotel stay and so we should contact her.

Over the course of the last month, my husband and I have left numerous voicemails and emails for Denise Daniels (Front Office Manager at the Wyndham Garden Hotel at Newark Airport). She has yet to return a single call or email. Even beyond the nightmare of dealing with bed bugs while visiting relatives over the holidays, the blatant disregard for customer service and common courtesy really bothers me.

I will never stay in a Wyndham Garden Hotel again, and would recommend that you don't either. It's not worth the trouble.

• Disliked — BED BUGS
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
8 Thank rachel11215
managementewr, Manager at Wyndham Garden Newark Airport, responded to this review, 26 January 2009
Thank you for your comments. I have researched back up to six (6) months trying to substantiate your statements and unfortunately we have no record on file of your claim. We have also researched all the logs from the hotel’s in-house maintenance dept. and also an outside maintenance dept. we employ and nothing was found stating that there was any kind of infestation. If this claim was valid we immediately would have been very concerned for your health, and this would have been followed up by not only the hotel staff, but also the hotel’s insurance company. Also, if this was the case, wouldn’t the priority concern be a follow up visit to a physician by you? We apologize if we did not meet your expectations, but there is nothing to validate your statement. Once again thank you for your comments.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 December 2008

We recently had an overnight stay at this hotel prior to boarding a cruise ship at Cape Liberty Cruise Port, Bayonne, New Jersey and our experience was terrible. We checked previous reviews prior to our departure and we have to ask ourselves if we stayed at the same hotel as the previous reviews or is the staff, friends and family writing reviews to promote the hotel?

Although having been advertised as being renovated, perhaps they should have torn it down. The hotel showed it age, lack of quality workmanship re: renovations, it was thin walled and the rooms were small. Given it's proximity to the airport we expected to hear some airplanes, but we weren't expecting the constant hum of traffic and buses transiting the adjacent parking lot.

The hotel shuttle was infrequent and we saw numerous other hotel shuttles come and go at Newark airport (P4) before we saw one for this hotel. Even though we could practically see the hotel from the airport getting to it via shuttle took some time given the turnpike/highway setup. If you are contemplating using this hotel given it proximity to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port (8.5 kms as the crow flies), think again. Taxi from hotel to pier is $45+ and it seems that the majority of taxi drivers have difficulty finding a direct route to the pier, but perhaps that is just the "scenic" route.

The only positive was the surprisingly good restaurant, but that wouldn't make us return to this hotel.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — The accomodations in general
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank John S
managementewr, manager at Wyndham Garden Newark Airport, responded to this review, 16 December 2008
Thank you for your comments. Here at the Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark, we try our best to assure all our guests have a wonderfull experience. After reading your comments, I apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations. We are newly renovtaed, we started in 2006 and completed in August of 2008. Your comments regarding our product is the first I have heard. I wonder if you have the correct hotel. Also, trip advisor has the proper securtiy methods in place to prevent made up reviews. So the comments you read are authentic and are real experiences from our guests. We are happy we have so many positive responses. Our location being over 620 feet from Route 1 and 9 , make straffic noise almost impossible to be a hinderance, but for the future any hotel would be more then happy to offer a room change if you are unhappy with the assigned room. Once again I apologize that we were not able to offer a great experience.