“Nice experience for its price”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 30 September 2012

If you're on a budget in a trip to NY, Double Tree has everything you need for its price, from comfortable beds, to nicely decorated, clean rooms, good bath, efficient shuttle service to the airport...Just for a difference of $20 compared to other nearby hotels, Double Tree is definitely at another level as to stay experience, and weve stayed in more expensive hotels with very less difference in quality...So I highly recommend this one..

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Angel S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,609)

Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed here overnight for a company event. After reading some of the reviews, I was somewhat concerned. Our room was on the 7th floor overlooking the lobby. It was a bit noisy because of lobby traffic. The room was very clean but had water stains in the ceiling over the bed and in the bathroom. Mattress looked new and bedding was fresh. Not bad at all for a location near the airport. We had a quick breakfast at the Bistro and it was good. Be aware that the hotel charges $18.00 plus tax for overnight parking here.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Lobby are a bit noisy! If this bothers you, I would suggest that one requests...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

I will preface my review with the fact that I stay at Hilton brand hotels 60+ nights a year and this was ansolutelly the worst service situation I have experienced at their brands. The front desk staff over promises and underdelivers. I arrived on a flight and called the desk to make sure the shuttle was running and to confirm location as it was late night. They confirmed that it runs every 20 minutes all day and night. I waited 25 minutes and called the desk. Solomon assured me the shuttle left 8 minutes earlier and was a few minutes away. I waited another 15 minutes and by now all of the other brands hotel shuttles have circled 2+ times. I called back and they assured me thr driver was only 10 minutes away. Nobody likes over promise an underdeliver. I am a raving fan of Hilton and their subsidiary brands, but they need to get new staff or get rid of this hotel location as it is not in keeping with their brand standards. Shameful!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank World-Footprints
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed here several weeks ago before an early morning flight out of Newark. Its clean and close to the airport. We paid for it in Hilton Honors points. It is in an an industrial area and there is very little nearby, so if you need anything, you will have to drive. It is also near a prison.

Now for the cringeworthy part. The hotel has a large interior atrium and the rooms on the interior have balconies. We stayed in a room on the 8th floor and I went out on the balcony and leaned against the railing. I heard a creak and backed away immediately. It was one of the scariest things that I ever encountered in all my years of travel. Naturally we stayed off the balcony the rest of our stay.

If you are looking for a hotel that is close to the airport, this may do it for you. Just stay off the balconies

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bwco
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This hotel USED to be a Sheraton. Operative words? "USED TO BE". Shame on you Hilton for allowing this once nice hotel...to deteriorate to its present condition.

When I checked in, the clerk said, "Wow! You have a lot of points. Do you ever get a chance to use them or are you too busy working?" I replied, "Well Hilton has a great timeshare vacation club..,but I haven't had good experiences overall with Hilton for years. THAT'S why I try to stay at Starwood Hotels as much as possible. Didn't this USED TO BE a Sheraton?". The clerk replied, "Yes. But Hilton bought it.

Here's what's good: The front desk staff, the cookie, and the Chef still makes a GREAT cobb salad!

As I walked to the elevator, I noticed the MANY buckets in place to catch the water leaking from the ceiling! It was raining.

Here's what's bad: EVERYTHING EXCEPT the STAFF! I stayed in room 432. The bathroom had mold in the upper corners and the room smelled of mold and mildew. That's the least of it. As was getting into bed, I felt something sharp in the bottom of my foot. I looked down and there were TOENAIL CLIPPINGS embedded in the carpet!!!! I had to take tissue and PULL them out! Disgusting! Then, throughout the night, I was awakened by severe itching of my scalp...wherever the pillow was touching it. Eventually, I placed a towel (praying the bleach in the towel might KILL whatever cooties were present) over the pillow. I had to wash my hair several times and it STILL itched! Needless to say, I got almost NO sleep for the $192.00+ I paid!!!! Since I was already awake EARLY, I went to the gym. PATHETIC! Smelled awful! Do you think you could add some gym equipment sanitizer and/or hand sanitizer in a container on the wall? Seriously...it's NEWARK and at the airport. How many communicable diseases do you think pass through your facility? A lot!

I feel sorry for your staff...they are trying to use their smiles and politeness to make your otherwise disgusting hotel palatable. It's nice. But it can't possible compensate for the terrible night's stay I had at this hotel. Not the staff's fault...but YOURS - HILTON. SHAME ON YOU!!!

I have Hilton points I can almost never use as your "cash and points" program is virtually non-existent whenever I have called to use it. Your points for "free nights" are out-of-control. Seriously, 50,000 points for a dump? On the positive side, your HGVC properties are awesome...BUT they are NOT related to your hotels for the most part.

I should have just paid the extra $$ to stay at THE W or a Starwood property in New York! Gotta tell you...unless I have no decent option - you just lost a customer. I will not be staying at another Hilton property UNLESS it's a timeshare!

Room Tip: No such thing as a good room. Just avoid this hotel altogether!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank RomeInJanuary
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Front desk people were very friendly and helpful. All my concerns were dealt with quickly. The Indoor Pool is in a good location, large and open. The room was large and the bedding very comfortable. The water faucets were reversed, cold-hot and hot-cold which was not fixed when we checked out.,The room next door was very loud, very early, the people in it very nice and off to a wedding, but it still got us up and we didn't check in until midnight. No food, but cookies upon check in. Parking was expensive, but waived after complaint. I might try the Ramada next door if I visit again as they had food service available until 2:00am. Not a big deal unless you are on a red eye and hungry.

Room Tip: I assume the higher up and facing away from the atrim would be quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Hi, I am a Hilton Honors Gold member placed a formal complaint about my recent stay at the Doubletree in Newark by the airport. I recently ran a Corporate Sales conference for 150 people at this location last Thursday and Friday. I do not recommend using that hotel again. It was run down to say the least, dirty, and my room, as well as others’, smelled terrible – of mildew and must. The smell was so strong that I could not spend time in the room to work. They were also very short staffed unorganized and the general look and feel was very run down and in need of remodeling. I received this feedback throughout the training evaluations from the conference attendees also, not just what I experienced. For me personally, my room stunk to high heavens like mildew. It was dirty and old.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, tell them you want something floor 4 or higher - an employee told me those ar...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business