“Nice airport property”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Nice airport property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Friendly and helpful staff, clean rooms and comfy beds. Bar restaurant has pretty tasty burgers. One of the few airport hotels where you could not here planes constantly. The bathrooms are tiny and really could use updating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the "train side" it's quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Freddy H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write the great review! I appreciate all of the details. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for noticing the helpfulness of the staff. We really strive to exceed our guest’s expectations! We hope we will see you again very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Bluffton, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed overnight for early AM flight in the middle of a 12-inch snowstorm. Staff was very reassuring that they would be able to get me to the airport the next morning without a problem. Room was on Hilton Honors floor - nice condition. Everything worked as expected. Had a meal in their bar-nice menu and the food was excellent. My waiter must have been kept there overnight, as he was also my waiter at the breakfast buffet. Buffet was also very good - huge blackberries!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing our property on your recent trip. I am so happy reading your review. We strive to deliver exceptional service and it is good to know that our hard work created a memorable stay for you and your family. I will make sure to extend your compliments to all team members and we will be looking forward to welcome you back.
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Very disappointed with the service and attitude of the staff. My impression is that they do sufficient business accommodating airline crews and are not all that interested in civilian guests, even if they have Gold status.We waited over 45 minutes in the cold for the shuttle to come to Newark airport when it is supposed to run every 20 minutes. I called three times to check on the shuttle, and when it finally arrived it was full of uniformed air crews that were picked up curbside rather than at the shuttle pick-up point (P-4)! Staff at the front desk gave me an unconvincing, "Sorry for the inconvenience," when I questioned the time it took standing in minus 12 degree weather waiting for the shuttle. Could not get the front desk on the phone to check out, and when I went to the lobby, no one was at the desk. The shuttle driver called the front desk staff three times before someone showed up to do check out! The building is run down and shabby. The only high point was the buffet breakfast.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you were treated with an undesirable level of service. I have addressed these issues with our staff and shuttle service. The next time you are in Newark we would love to have you come back and experience a better level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Let me start by stating that I travel a lot and this is my first ever yelp review.(and indeed, prompted me to actually sign up for a yelp account)

I have been through some ups and downs with the Hilton brand with a most recent string of such negative experiences (at high ranking Hilton hotels) that I've been willing to let my Diamond status lapse in favor of other brands. A serious of incidents has brought me to the DoubleTree at the Newark Airport. The only thing i have to say is that I am absolutely DELIGHTED and astonished by the reception I've received this evening.

I walked in to the hotel this evening feeling genuinely welcomed- this before I even gave them my name. I joked about preferring something savory over the delicious cookie they waiting for me- they said not to worry and that they'd take care of my urge for savory. Much to my surprise, when I went to place an order with room service, it was already taken care of my request (am I that predictable?!)... not to mention the soup (clam chowder) the kitchen recommended really is one of the best I've ever had. The waiter who delivered my dinner was so courteous and didn't make me feel like I was taking too much time (aka: gaping at the very reasonably priced bill - and from room service no less!)

The room is lovely- the bathroom (my pet peeve) is spotless and there isn't a speck of dust anywhere. the decor is a bit dated, but very well kept up/maintained which more than compensates.

All things equal, this stay ranks up there with my last visits at the Elysian (now Waldorf) in Chicago. A huge thanks and kudos to the staff (and chef!) here... really- well done. I am feeling rather chastised for ever thinking I should give up my Hilton loyalties as a result of my visit here. Thank you Engin, and your staff, for making what was a dreaded visit truly a positively memorable one.

Room Tip: My room (619) is absolutely silent. Thank you Double Tree Newark for a peaceful night's sleep! A...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write the great review! I appreciate all of the details. We are very happy that you you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for noticing the helpfulness of the staff. We really strive to exceed our guest’s expectations! We can not wait until you come back to YOUR hotel.
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

We found this hotel to be large, yet quiet. We were very satisfied with the room, indoor pool, breakfast, and overall service. The hotel really needs to be updated and it would be a booming hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
Monroe, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

+++ Great hotel, conveniently located close to EWR, frequent shuttle services (every 20 minutes), great staff, very quiet, clean room. - - - Breakfast food quality was just average, especially the potatoes (greasy) and fruits (no flavor).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Brian C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great review of our hotel! I appreciate all of the details you outlined, especially those of the various staff members who assisted you. It is our primary goal to exceed our guests expections each and every time. We value your business and look forward to being of service to you in the near future when traveling and trust you will select The DoubleTree by Hilton Newark Airport as your home away from home!
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Never experienced a more friendly and accomodating staff. Even when ran into a staff member on the elevator they greeted and talked with you. And they even gave us those wonderful warm cookies each day if asked. Great place to stay when visiting NYC if want a nice hotel cheaper than Manhattan. Can take free shuttle to airport then a train or go to a different train station and park.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton