“Good budget hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Markham
“Good budget hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I travelled with my whole family of 5, and stayed 5 nights at this hotel. Because of limited budget, we decided to stay at this brand name hotel and trade off our travel time everyday. At first we stayed at 8th floor, and we have 2 rooms. One of room is perfect condition, the 2nd one, it face the pool, once walked in, there was a weird smell. According to my home inspection experience, smell like high humidity, maybe water damage. Other than that, room are clean, and A+ on those hotel towel, it really so bright & clean as brand new. Hotel does have a free parking (first 30 minutes free), overnight parking $18 plus tax. WiFi is NOT included. No free breakfast. However, they offer free newark airport shuttle bus, they run every 20 minutes. And can pick you right at hotel front door, drop you off to P4 parking building or drop off at airport terminal. Hotel shuttle bus operators are super friendly and kindly. I tired their indoor pool, good maintained pool, very clean, and my daughter love to swim there. So far, I do not have any big problem with my stay, I just had a small incident when I checked out. I got 2 rooms, and rented 1 car and use 1 parking spot at first night only. When I check out, I believe we had miscommunication issue, I got 1 bill for 1 night parking, and other room got charged 5 nights parking. After talked to front desk, supervisor was kind, and she spent shot time to solve the billing issue. I will say if you want to visit New York city all the time, and do not mind spend time to travel use public transit, it is good stay at this hotel; otherwise, suggest you stay in New York City hotel. Meanwhile I stay, I saw lot of students, people for conference & flight crews are staying in this hotel.

I noticed this hotel is trying hard to balance price vs service, and also read lot of review regarding this hotel. One of common issue is air conditioning, I just turn it on let it run for long hours, then I do not see any problem. Oops, forgot the mention their welcome chocolate cookie is good, do not miss it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here 3 times for business. First two times were 5 star ratings. But why a hotel that specializes in business conferences would book a party with loud thumping music until 1am on a Sunday day is beyond me. The lights and mirrors in the room are vibrating. It's 11pm and there's 2 more hours of this? I'll not stay here again. The staff are sympathetic. But so what? They are annoyed too I'm sure.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
n richland hills, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

hotel needs improvements- . hotel appears old and worn. my bed pillow was stained. the bath room is showing wear and mold around tub. the hotel is in great location to airport. front desk staff Kat was nice.

Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night. I checked in at midnight and checked out next day at 9am. I paid $18 plus tax, yes, they charge tax for parking. I think I would feel better if they just raise the room price by $20 instead of nickel and dime you on obvious convenient services.
Nothing else about the hotel stands out, the bath tub drainage needs some work because it went done very slow.

Room Tip: Unless you have HHonor points, you should pick somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Joseph608
Virgin Islands National Park, St. John
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

My stay at this Double Tree location is always comforting when I visit the area. Although I would prefer a more private setting this hotel does give me that feeling on occasions when I am in town for Business & Pleasure for just a little relaxation.I would recommend this hotel for leisure or business trips to anyone in the future that may be traveling to town.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Freddy H, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
First and foremost, I want to thank you for your continued loyalty. We are proud to be your number one choice in Newark Area. We are so happy to hear that you are pleased with the service offered by our team members continues to exceed your expectations. Please rest assured that your comments will be shared with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for a truly enjoyable stay.
East Haddam, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

It's a sort of nice but sort of rundown older Hilton. Some of it was little lings like in the lobby there was carpeting that was frayed and worn. In my room the shower fixtures were from the 1980's. Nothing huge but overall it was just average. But the room price was the same as a nicer room would be in Washington, DC or perhaps even NYC. Then there was the $18 fee to park in their parking lot. Or the fact that the continental breakfast in the hotel (cold food options only, ie: cereal, danish, maybe a piece of fruit, etc. ) was $15. I may have had breakfast at the hotel restaurant but I went there the night before for dinner and that was also overpriced bar food essentially with a limited menu. I wouldn't go back there again unless perhaps I was stranded at Newark Airport and the other "decent" hotels in the area were already filled. I suspect that scenario is why they don't need to make the hotel a better value...

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thanks very much for taking your time to share your comment with us. Please accept our sincere apology as we failed to 100% meet your expectation. Once we received your comment, we looked into the problem and nailed down for a solution.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Staff were courteous and the food was OK but the rooms need some work. A/C didn't seem to do anything. Only thing that worked well was the WiFi but I probably just got lucky with my room location. I probably would stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to write the review! I appreciate all of the details.Thank you for noticing the helpfulness of the staff. We really strive to exceed our guest’s expectations! I've worked with maintenance to fix the A/C issue, however I apologize that it wasn't resolved sooner.