“Do not let them put you upstairs” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton
Carrollton, TX
“Do not let them put you upstairs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2008

This is a bad-smell no tell motel. Upstairs (non-smoking) room stank of stale urine and cigarettes. Hairs on the mattress pad under the sheets. I was told no other room available; it was late so I removed the bed cover (never sleep on the bed cover), cranked the AC and took a sleeping pill. Next AM, was moved to another (ground floor) room which was better...except the air conditioner froze up every 20 minutes.

Stay elsewhere. Spring for it.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Baltimore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2008

After reviewing all the usaul travel websites and viewing the pictures, I was not expecting the Riz Carlton or anything, but I was surely not expecting what I saw, experienced, or the way we were treated at this Econo Lodge.

For starters, when I check in and the gentlemen working the counter tells me that my room will be #129. So I go to room 129 swipe my key and open the door.....what do I see? All the lights on, bed completely unmade and I notice that there is someone's luggage in the corner.....he had given me a key to a room that has already been occupied!! Luckily whoever was staying there was not in at the time. So I go back to the office and tell him about his mistake and he tells me he told me I was supposed to be in room #128 and I had gone in the wrong room. If the that is the case than how did the key that was supposed to be for room 128,open room 129??? He never apoligized for me being embarssed and giving my the wrong key, he just gave me another key for room 128 and said have a nice night!! What a joke.

So then myself, my wife and my 4 month old baby finally get settled in our room. Which by the way is supposed to remodeled according to the internet and was a non smoking room. The ceiling plaster was hanging from the ceiling and the comforter had burn holes in it from cigarettes?! The tv worked but had a terrible picture with lines going thru it while we watched any channel. Also during the remodel all rooms were supposed have a memory foam bed! Yeah right!

The next morning we went to check out and I was going to complain and ask to speak to the manager. When I walked in the door I passed a young girl standing outside smoking. We exchanged hello's and she had to have seen me walk in the office. 10 mintues goes by and no one comes to the front desk, Finally the girl standing out front ducks her head in the door with cigarette hanging out of her mouth and says, oh did you need to drop off your room key??? What the? You saw me walk in here 10 freaking minutes ago!! I just gave her my key and got the heck out of there!

I would never stay there in again if my life depended on it. However for 50 bucks a night it did have a half way clean bathroom, hot water and heat. Really that is all that you need if you can look past everything else. But I will say this, if you can afford a little bit more money for a hotel there is a brand new Holiday Inn Express less than 2 miles away in the heart of Newton. Next time that is where we will be staying instead of this Econo Lodge.

• Liked — Did like anything at all about this place!
  • Disliked — The desk staff and their incompitence!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Newton hotels

Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2007

After reading the reviews I was concerned that this was not a good choice. The room was large and clean. The wallpaper was new as well as the fixtures and bath. We saw no cracks or mold. The TV work great. The bed was VERY comfortable - in fact I asked for the name since it was a "memory foam" type bed that really felt good. My whole crew remarked on the beds. The continental breakfast is week, but really - does that matter? For the price, a much better deal than others in the area. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2007

Do Not Stay Here!!! My husband and I just stayed in this "motel" for one night. When we arrived we were greeted by a strange looking individual "hanging out" in the parking lot. Told the motel attendant we were ready to check in and she informed me that the room we booked, queen bed, was not available but I can have a room with 2 doubles. Fine, not a problem, I just wanted to sleep. We go to our room (in the back of the property which was pitch black with no lights) enter our room to find a window with NO LOCKS - - front desk offers us a TENNIS RACKET to wedge inbetween the window for safety. We then realize a bathroom window was pushed/kicked in and the frosted glass was broken so anyone could look right into the bathroom. My husband had to push that window back into the frame. No alarm clock and no hairdryer (in discription it offers both, however, they are not available). All this while the "strange individual" walks around the parking lot at night. HORRIBLE TRIP, HORRIBLE STAY!

• Liked — Getting in my car and leaving the premises!
  • Disliked — Unsafe rooms, bad locks, bad lighting
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2007

DO NOT STAY HERE- hairs in the "fresh/new" bath towels, shower handle fell to tub basin upon trying to turn on, toilet paper holder fell from wall when trying to get TP, room stunk, peeling wall paper, HIGHLY RUDE MANAGEMENT, no place for recourse, these ECONO LODGE establishments are independently owned and operated. And this owner seems to have no sense of how to "manage" or clean.

• Stayed July 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2006

My stay at this hotel at the time of my father's death was unacceptable.

I was not afforded privacy in my room because there was a hidden door in the back of my closet. I discovered this when I was packing to leave. The door was unlocked so I explored the area and found that it was an attic that connected to other hotel rooms and indications that people were using the attic rooms secretly because there were numerous mattresses on the floor as well as discarded food containers. Several things in my room went missing during my stay.

Also the hotel did not take proper note of the dates of my planned stay and they evicted me prematurely. When I paid my bill at the beginning of my stay It was my understanding that i was paying for my entire length of stay. But the hotel disregarded my discussions on the subject and insisted that I would have to pay additionally if I intended to stay longer. When I asked to speak to the manager, I was told this was immpossible.

I feel that I was treated badly - abused and cheated and in a hotel that had something to hide, and perhaps was operating illegally. I reported these secret rooms to the police because Homeland Security always stresses that if we see something abnormal we should report it at once.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2005

This was the absolute WORST hotel ever. It looks like a horror movie setting because of the window in the bathroom across from the shower that had no blinds with a beautiful view of an abandon warehouse. The bathroom had many problems including a raindrop for the shower head pressure. The bathroom was extremely small and on top of it THERE WAS MOLD IN THE SHOWER, on the ceiling and around the door!!!!!!!!!!!! We did not have a new toilet paper roll provided for us either. Just about every fabric in the room had...... stains, on the towels, sheets, comforters and even the carpet. It was disgusting. The beds were hard as rock, not even the Flintstones would find them to be quality material. There was no indoor parking either. The "coffee house" is no coffee house at all but rather a coffee machine that gives old, chunky hot chocolate and coffee. The woman in the lobby was in a terrible mood as she charged us an extra $20 for two extra people under 18 making it a total of 4 people in the room, even though the rooms come with two full size beds. She saw that we were upset and offered a deal-- rather than $80.20 she was willing to bring it down to a bargin-$79.10. Plus tax. The complementary breakfast was a Danish and juice. I did not sleep at all the night I spent at this Econo Lodge; instead I applied antibacterial hand lotion after everything I touched.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Arlington-Rockaway Area
High Point Country Inn
High Point Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Wantage

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!