“Serene and Friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Newton B&B and Inns
nj
“Serene and Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2007

The Wooden Duck accomodations were lovely. Our room had a lovely fireplace, settiing area, patio, soaking bath and a heavenly
bed. Breakfast was prepared and served with a lot of TLC.
There were fresh flowers in our room and at breakfast. The setting is in a wooden area just down the road from a great state park with great bike riding and hiking trails. Staff/owners appreciated our privacy but were very friendly and accomodating.

Definitely worth a return trip. Came home rested and relaxed.

Thanks Wooden Duck.

• Liked — quiet, lovely room with fireplace
  • Disliked — no issue
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank hikingwoman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2007

We stayed in the Pintail room in the Carriage House. Although the room was quaint, the overall condition of the room was poor. The bathroom was appalling, with a strange sewage smell in the toilet area and mildew smell in the shower. The fixtures were very old and the vinyl flooring buckling, suggesting previous water damage. The paint on the ceiling was also peeling. The window sills were badly damaged, (dog claws?). The carpet and curtains circa 1970. All this for only $140/night!

The main house was well care for, breakfast was plentiful (perhaps too much!) and our server was a real delight. The owner was less than friendly and gave us the impression we were a bother and passed us off onto to her assistant, who was very kind and helpful, although not very knowledgable of the area. At checkout again the assistant helped us, the owner was no where in site.

There was construction going on during our stay, although a bit noisey at times, the work did not start until after 9:00 and all was quiet by 3:00. The workers were very pleasant and professional and had a very good rapport with the housekeeper and assistant.

Overall this bed and breakfast has great potential. The Pintail room is in need of a major overhall. The owner needs to be more friendly and accessible. The staff is top notch. We would visit again, but would not stay in the Carriage House!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Condition of room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank travelinaroundUsa
woodenduckinn, Owner at Wooden Duck B&B, responded to this review, 22 October 2008
The guest is correct in stating that the condition of Pintail's bathroom was poor. The room had been occupied almost nonstop all summer, and we could not repair it while it was in use. It was fixed after our occupancy slowed down. Since the guests did not tell us about the smells, we could not investigate them at the time of their visit. Since then, even upon questioning, no other guest has said anything about a smell problem. The décor in Pintail is reminiscent of a small cottage from the 1970's, which is actually quite appealing to guests who like the retro look. We agree that some of the window sills look as if they were damaged by dogs in the past. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do with them, short of replacing the windows. Until then, we will continue to keep the room very clean and comfortable for our guests.

I was quite upset when I read that I had come off as “less than friendly” toward this guest. My husband works a full-time job on weekdays, so I run the business on my own most of the time. Occasionally, I need a day or two that is free of distractions so that I can catch up on the paperwork, run errands, get a haircut, etc. That’s when I have an assistant come in to help me out. Since my management style is to empower my employees to handle situations on their own, I try to stay out of their way. However, since I live at the B&B, they know that I am always available to address any problems that arise. I apologize that my assistant did not realize that this particular guest needed more help than she was able to provide. And I appreciate the guest’s compliment that my staff is top-notch—I agree!
Lewisburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2007

Room was comfortable, spacious, nicely appointed, and very clean. Very quiet, country setting.
Hosts are professional, accessible, and very helpful. They helped us find a very good restaurant in Newton. Excellent breakfast.

Stayed September 2007
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2007

My husband and I decided to get away from the hustle and bustle of where we are from for a relaxing a peaceful evening. I researched on the New Jersey Tourism website and found the Wooden Duck B&B. I went to college in the area, and my husband grew up in Sussex County so we knew that our stay would be quiet. The B&B is located on a state road where there is a State Park. It was at least 2 miles down the road and then we came across the quant house. We stayed in the "PinTail" room. The Inn Keeper was very nice when we checked in and she showed us the game room and the den area. There were snacks out on the counter and sodas in the fridge. Our room was super clean, with a bed that we had to climb into. ( that was a bit scary:)

We slept with the windows open and it was relaxing and quiet.

We had brekafast early the next morning, I had to work, it was fresh, hot and filling. We can't wait to go back again!!!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank merpaul
Franklin, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2007

My wife and I stayed last night (Aug 23rd) and, while we were unaware of the ongoing construction, we heard nothing 'til after 9am and it was occassional nail guns. I can agree the project should have been disclosed, but it wasn't really intrusive. The whole place was spotless and upkept, the staff courteous, professional and engaging without being nosey, the food great (served 8-9:30am), the amenities plentiful. My wife didn't want to leave. We even got 'upgraded' because a multi-night guest requested our reserved room, and we were fine with that. We may not be old hats at B&B visits, but if this is the worst things get, there's nothing to complain about.

• Liked — Proximty to home, cleanliness, comfort
  • Disliked — Leaving it!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jwrAMC
Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2007

Stayed at the Wooden Duck for one night - never again. We were not told that there was an extensive construction project going on when we booked our room 3 days before arrival. We arrived to the noise of hammers, making our hoped for quiet afternoon at the pool impossible. The living room and game room were being utilized for a business meeting. Rather than hole up in our room, we left and returned after 10PM. The next AM we slept through breakfast - it ended at 8:30, but the hammering began at 8:40 so we didn't really have the quiet experience in the morning either. Room was clean, but had an odd smell (cat ??) In any event, we left early. When we checked out, we conveyed our dissatisfaction to the innkeeper who seemed not to care - claimed others had used the pool and who can predict construction timetable. Personally, I think an apology and/or an adjustment of the price might have gone a long way.

Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marymcgol
LuandaTacky, Owner at Wooden Duck B&B, responded to this review, 24 August 2007
The construction is a short term project for the addition of a garage and an improved laundry facility being done to improve the service. All work is done during weekdays from 8:00 to 4:00. The workers are as quiet as they can be and have been complimented on their courtesy. The project is all under roof now and as such the impact of noise, etc. will be minimal.

Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2007

The current proprieters of this well established inn have been the owners for only two years, and it shows.

The husband and wife team did their best to alienate me and my partner with their utmost passive aggression, and in one instance, outright aggression. Certainly I am not expecting red carpet service at a bed and breakfast, but in the very least I expect a warm and welcoming attitude on the part of the owners. Especially at $299 a night, staying in their most opulent room.

I won't recount all the details of this most unpleasant morning where both my partner and I were belittled and made to feel like we were imposing on these people.... Perhaps their demeanor would have been justified if we were the type of guests who were loud, crude and walking around like we own the place. That is furthest from reality. We are both friendly but polite and respectful, always.

All I can say is, the owner apologized at check out for "being harried earlier," but that "our other guests know to stay out of the way when they get coffee in the morning." I could not believe my ears. That is not an apology. We were getting ourselves coffee exactly where we were instructed to from the "tour" we received at check in. Apparently, looking for cream is being a dolt and getting in the way. And I had stood their for less than one minute. "The morning is a busy time, and that's a high traffic area." Well, morning is also when most people enjoy coffee. And you, sir, are the owner and can decide where to have the self serve coffee for your guests. Don't offer an amenity at all if you get upset when guests actually indulge in it where you instructed them to.

As we were leaving, to add insult to injury he intercepted me for my credit card to pay for the additional breakfasts for my mom and dad, which I thought had been covered at checkout. Our total bill came to $366 for what amounted to 18 hours (5 of which were spent at my mother's cottage) and one meal. As some sort of conciliatory gesture, he confided that they had agreed to move the coffee station out of the kitchen... as though that should make up for the fact that he had been a complete jerk. My repeat business does not hinge on where you keep the coffee. It's in your ability to provide a welcoming environment and a friendly atmosphere. Isn't that why most people seek out b&b's over hotels?

But wait, there's more.... They even argued when I asked if we could please vacate the room at 12 instead of 11, so we could go for a walk with my mom before leaving the state. It was a Sunday and there was no one checking in for that room that day. We were eventually "allowed" for noon, but only after once again feeling like were creating just a huge imposition on them.

These people have no common sense—in business, hospitality or otherwise. My mother has three adult children who visit often, but she lives in a very tiny house nearby that cannot accommodate overnight stays. The Wooden Duck Inn could have easily generated *frequent* repeat business from our family, if only they had shown a little more care and respect. Instead, their pettiness, arrogance, and outright rudeness has squelched any possibility of that.

The wife, during our check-in tour, cited that burnout in the bed and breakfast business typically peaks at around five years. It's an odd factoid to share with your guests as they're just getting to know you and your establishment. In the case of this couple, it seems that they have peaked at two.

Next time we're in town, my partner and I will gladly stay at the motel just down the road for 1/3 the price, and none of the humiliation.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank jujujulian
You may find it strange that we have waited over a year before responding to this review. Well, the guest hit the nail on the head when he wrote that it appeared that we had peaked at two years. We were having a rough time when he and his partner stayed with us because we had recently lost two of our staff members. We had been working non-stop for several weeks and were overworked, overtired, and overstressed that weekend. We were actually considering putting the Wooden Duck back on the market and returning to the relaxed, kicked-back lifestyle we had given up. Over the past year, however, we have learned how to make time for ourselves so that we can enjoy being innkeepers. We apologize that this guest saw us on a bad day, still early on in our learning curve. But we truly believe that if he were to give us another chance, he would have a pleasant stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
Whistling Swan Inn
Whistling Swan Inn
#1 of 1 in Stanhope
Alpine Haus Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Wooden Duck B&B? Share your experiences!