“NOT the Enjoyable, Relaxing Stay We Were Hoping For”
Review of Quality Suites

Quality Suites
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in North Bergen
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Myself and My Wife, as well as another couple (friends of ours) stayed here this weekend on our Christmas trip to NYC. We checked in Saturday afternoon, dropped our bags, and went right into NYC. Upon arriving back to the hotel around midnight, we were excited to use the hot tub in our room --- Only to find the water to be completely yellow as we began filling the tub... Both of our rooms (2 floors apart) expierenced the same water issue. After calling the Front Desk, we were told it was too late to do anything about it tonight, and that there was no one who was able to come up to check. (Wished we would have thought to take a picture of the yellow water, but after that, started taking pictures of the other issues).We continued running water, and finally the third time we filled the tub, it had cleared up. Unfortunatley, only 2 of the many jets in the tub were actually working. The next morning upon Check Out, we explained the situation again, and were told since there was no proof, and the water wasn't yellow anymore that no credit would be offered (even though when we tried to have them come up and check, they refused). The only thing they offered was to have the manager call us Monday.

For the most part, the room decor and bed were nice --- but there were numerous other issues we continued to find, that led me to the conclusion that we will NEVER stay here again.

1) Pictured on the website is a Whirlpool Room with a large 2-person heart shaped tub in the room... Unfortunatley, our room, had a small - 1-person kidney bean shaped tub, and our friends room had a 2-person older pink rectangler tub --- Neither the one advertised for the room we chose and paid for. (see pictures)

2) The Room Itself --- The bathroom tub/shower was old and broken, and the toliet was dirty! The carpet had something sticky mashed into it, and there was an electrical outlet in front of the bed mattress that was not covered and hanging out of the wall! (see pictures).

3) They are renovating a room on the 5th floor, and had all of the hallway smoke detectors covered and taped (illegal?). (see picture)

4) The hot breakfast consisted of lunch meat ham slices, and hard boiled eggs, both submerged in hot water... (see picture)

After not receiving a call this morning (Monday) from the manager, I called him directly... After 2 phone calls, and a fight back and forth, I was finally able to get him to offer us a 20% credit on what we paid for the rooms... I don't see how this is acceptable to charge someone for a room that was 1) clearly not clean and safe to be occupied, 2) Wasn't the room advertised, and 3) The whirlpool was feature that we paid over $50 extra for over the regular room, wasn't even usable! I believe at least 50% if not more, of the room charge should be refunded for the many inconvieniences, and will be calling Choice Hotels directly - because we will NEVER stay here again.

Still waiting for the manager's promised confirmation e-mail and proof of the 20% credit --- so we'll see if it ever shows up on credit card???

Room Tip: Whirlpools room are not as advertised - and do NOT have the 2-person heart shaped tub as shown on th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ComfortSuitesNJ, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

As agreed, when you had called, we did give you a 20% discount for both rooms and the emails were sent for the same.

There are newer reviews for Quality Suites

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I will start with the pros:
Very close to Times Square 10 min drive
Free breakfast included, good selection
Comfortable beds
Good size rooms
Room equipped with a fridge
Great economical stay for a family to visit NYC!

cons:
Would have liked hot chocolate as a breakfast option
Shuttle to Manhattan is way too expensive at $14 round trip per person, for a family of 4 cost is $56
Our first night I cranked up the heat on the highest possible setting but yet it was still cool in the room
There is only 1 elevator, we often took the stairs

My tip for transportation to Manhattan:
Go to the Park & Ride North Bergen and take the NJ Transit Bus to Port Authority on 42nd st (2 blocks from Times Square) only cost us $27.50 for a family of 4. It's located 2 minutes away from the hotel and the hours are better than the shuttle as it runs til 1am compared to the last shuttle being 11pm. Once you board the bus it takes you straight there with no stops to pick up anyone else where as the shuttle has 2 additional stops at 2 other hotels.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank FP7020
ComfortSuitesNJ, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Hello,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I may have a bad time visiting this hotel when their elevator was 'broken'. Well they said it was not completely broken as it is still operational until 4th floor, where my room unfortunately in 5th floor... I am lucky travelling with my husband as he is the one carrying our suitcase (for three person) using the stairs, as I carying our food bags.
What I am dissapointed is, I do always request to have a higher floor room because I don't like to hear people 'walking' above my room whenever I booked a hotel room. But that night, when we politely asked if there is another room to the reception, they said they don't have, and she mention that 'someone has requested to have a higher floor room so we prepare that room for you'. That is when I said "I did not request a broken elevator". I am upset because she said that, instead of only apologise for their broken elevator..
The room itself was spacey.. I had a fully operational refrigerator, microwave, coffee-maker, perfect for my family need. However, I think the room need upgrades. It smells when I entering the room, I think the smells come from the toilet. The room also has a dusty dusty smells and feels old.. (I tried to be objective here, not because my experience with the receptionist).
Breakfast was fine, a standard hotel breakfast.
I still give them 2 stars because it was close to NYC, and a better deal compare to NYC pricey hotels. But if I had to visit NJ again, I will choose another hotel.
I hope you have a better luck with this hotel, hopefully they solve their elevator problem soon.

Room Tip: Ask if they had fixed their elevator!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
ComfortSuitesNJ, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I had booked this hotel with an online vendor for 3 nights. I had changed my check in date one day later. I modified it within the time before any penalties could occur. When I came to check in, they did not have my reservation! The manager on duty asked if I had a confirmation number. She had it in her hand when I said I was here to check in. After checking on her computer, she said the modified reservation wasn't in her system. The original reservation was in the system but they considered it a no show and cancelled my entire reservation. They said it was the online vendor's fault and there's nothing they could do.

I asked if they had any rooms available and was told they were booked full. I had to ask if they could help find a different hotel then since having a confirmation here means nothing. The manager had said if we had booked directly with them, then my reservation would have been guaranteed.

After I returned home, I noticed they charged me the first night as a no show. I called the hotel and explained what happened and how they didn't have my room and never even stayed there and was still charged for something that was not my fault. I was told that the charge has been released out of their system and should be credited in about 5-7 business days. Couple weeks went by and I remembered to check to see if that charge was credited back and it's still there. I talked to the general manager and he said he would check in to it. That was almost a week ago. He hasn't replied to any email or voicemail I left asking about any updates on this matter.

After this fiasco, I will not recommend this hotel to anyone. Just because you have a confirmation number, doesn't mean you even have a room at this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank oceanblue1215
ComfortSuitesNJ, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at Comfort Suites.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding your recent reservation. As we had spoken, we had requested for some time to find as to why the change in your reservation did not come through our system at our end and it went as a no-show. We are still looking into this and need time to respond to you accordingly.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to North Bergen.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 November 2013

15 minutes far from Port Authority Bus Terminal (gate 51) in New York by bus (3.- USD). So the hotel is well located. And cheap, compared to most of the hotels around. Comfy huge bed, mostly highly clean. And quiet, despite the main road where it sits. Good, vary and rich breakfast. The staff was nice, even if they didn't tell me about the cheapest bus, they didn't give me a plug adaptor and they didn't give me the room I actually booked and paid for (the one with the kitchen...)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Suites for four nights. All of us were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the service and the convenience of the location to midtown Manhattan as well as to a nice restaurant next door. The staff were polite, friendly and accommodating, especially regarding information about New York attractions. There was a complimentary hot breakfast available each morning with plenty of choices and the menu was changed somewhat from day to day. The rooms were very clean, quite large and had nice comfortable beds. Free parking is available in a well lighted area. The hotel itself is close to the Lincoln Tunnel and within a few minutes of the Park and Ride. For seniors, the price for the Park and Ride is $6.20 which includes all day parking as well as a return bus ticket to the bus terminal by Times Square. After calling a couple of the other hotels with equivalent features in the area, I decided on this hotel as it had the best rate. The rest was a bonus. Great dollar value!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
ComfortSuitesNJ, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Jean Marc,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Suites and found it to be a really good value with a great staff. Staying on a Wednesday includes a nice "manager's reception" with beer, wine and a nice assortment of cheese and crackers with fresh fruit and bake shop cookies. Breakfast is included with Belgian Waffles, juices, cooked eggs and saugage, bagels, croissants, danish pastries, cereals and is served in a nice clean breakfast room.

Some reviews claimed the rooms were dirty that was not the case for us. There were two beds one King and one Queen plenty of towels and the room was twice the size of a NYC room at half the price. The area is just off the New jersey Pike and was 15 minutes from SOHO through the Holland Tunnel and the same time from Midtown through the Lincoln. Of course traffic can make these time unreal during commuter times.

Parking is free the staff went out of their way to be nice to us and said the Comfort Suites will be completely done over in their public spaces by the time we next come back. Check with the Comfort Suites for discounted rates that beat the other normal online sites for the best price.

Room Tip: Stay in the back to avoid any road noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#7 of 14 in Jersey City
Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel

Been to Quality Suites? Share your experiences!