“Easy New York Access”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in North Bergen
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Easy New York Access”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I read mixed reviews of this hotel, but booked it anyway. I have a dread fear of driving into the city of New York. I planned to go to the Metropolitan Museum of art on 5th Avenue and 86th Street, see the show After Midnight at 8th Avenue and 45th Street and Columbia Heights in Brooklyn. From this hotel , I drove to the park and ride and paid $9.00 to enter the lot and included a round trip ticket on the bus to Port Authority. I decided to drive to Brooklyn (it took about 40 minutes) The hotel was helpful and clean. The neighborhood is an industrial area, but has a nice Italian restaurant hooked onto it. There are plenty of restaurants if you drive into Bergen. My only complaint is that if you are an evening bather as I am, there was no hot water at night. The morning breakfast was varied and good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Terri S
ComfortSuitesNJ, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this review, 28 April 2014

2013920008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Sidney, ME
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

First of all the hotel was a lot nicer than expected. Recently upgraded rooms with new bedding. Beds are pretty comfortable, but if your staying with someone else in the room you will hear every time they move -- the comforter sounds like paper crinkling!

PERFECT location! Only 10 min from time square. Not much to do walking distance around the hotel though.

The hotel staff is less than helpful and pretty much down right rude. We booked a 6 person room and once we got to the hotel, ended up being charged an extra $10/person per night! There were only 5 of us in a 4 person room!!! When asked why we were pretty much yelled at and told this $10 covers breakfast. I thought the breakfast was complimentary?!?! It is def not worth the $10!

Since this was our first time to the NY/NJ area we decided to take the shuttle the hotel offers. I went to the front desk and asked the young lady up front how it worked...do we buy tickets from the shuttle of from the actual hotel? Not realizing she was on her cell phone, I had to wait on her for 5 minutes to be done her personal convo to be helped.

I would avoid the shuttle at all cost. It's not very clean and it's 1st come 1st serve so your not guaranteed a spot. The last shuttle picks you up in Times Square at 11 PM. If too many people are on the bus or you didn't end up buying a round trip ticket, you will get stranded in the middle on NYC like we did. spend the extra $$ on a cab!

I will not be returning to this hotel for our next trip.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maegan B

Travellers are raving about these North Bergen hotels

Andreas, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Myself and My Wife, as well as another couple (friends of ours) stayed here this weekend on our Christmas trip to NYC. We checked in Saturday afternoon, dropped our bags, and went right into NYC. Upon arriving back to the hotel around midnight, we were excited to use the hot tub in our room --- Only to find the water to be completely yellow as we began filling the tub... Both of our rooms (2 floors apart) expierenced the same water issue. After calling the Front Desk, we were told it was too late to do anything about it tonight, and that there was no one who was able to come up to check. (Wished we would have thought to take a picture of the yellow water, but after that, started taking pictures of the other issues).We continued running water, and finally the third time we filled the tub, it had cleared up. Unfortunatley, only 2 of the many jets in the tub were actually working. The next morning upon Check Out, we explained the situation again, and were told since there was no proof, and the water wasn't yellow anymore that no credit would be offered (even though when we tried to have them come up and check, they refused). The only thing they offered was to have the manager call us Monday.

For the most part, the room decor and bed were nice --- but there were numerous other issues we continued to find, that led me to the conclusion that we will NEVER stay here again.

1) Pictured on the website is a Whirlpool Room with a large 2-person heart shaped tub in the room... Unfortunatley, our room, had a small - 1-person kidney bean shaped tub, and our friends room had a 2-person older pink rectangler tub --- Neither the one advertised for the room we chose and paid for. (see pictures)

2) The Room Itself --- The bathroom tub/shower was old and broken, and the toliet was dirty! The carpet had something sticky mashed into it, and there was an electrical outlet in front of the bed mattress that was not covered and hanging out of the wall! (see pictures).

3) They are renovating a room on the 5th floor, and had all of the hallway smoke detectors covered and taped (illegal?). (see picture)

4) The hot breakfast consisted of lunch meat ham slices, and hard boiled eggs, both submerged in hot water... (see picture)

After not receiving a call this morning (Monday) from the manager, I called him directly... After 2 phone calls, and a fight back and forth, I was finally able to get him to offer us a 20% credit on what we paid for the rooms... I don't see how this is acceptable to charge someone for a room that was 1) clearly not clean and safe to be occupied, 2) Wasn't the room advertised, and 3) The whirlpool was feature that we paid over $50 extra for over the regular room, wasn't even usable! I believe at least 50% if not more, of the room charge should be refunded for the many inconvieniences, and will be calling Choice Hotels directly - because we will NEVER stay here again.

Still waiting for the manager's promised confirmation e-mail and proof of the 20% credit --- so we'll see if it ever shows up on credit card???

Room Tip: Whirlpools room are not as advertised - and do NOT have the 2-person heart shaped tub as shown on th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
ComfortSuitesNJ, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this review, 24 December 2013

As agreed, when you had called, we did give you a 20% discount for both rooms and the emails were sent for the same.

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I will start with the pros:
Very close to Times Square 10 min drive
Free breakfast included, good selection
Comfortable beds
Good size rooms
Room equipped with a fridge
Great economical stay for a family to visit NYC!

cons:
Would have liked hot chocolate as a breakfast option
Shuttle to Manhattan is way too expensive at $14 round trip per person, for a family of 4 cost is $56
Our first night I cranked up the heat on the highest possible setting but yet it was still cool in the room
There is only 1 elevator, we often took the stairs

My tip for transportation to Manhattan:
Go to the Park & Ride North Bergen and take the NJ Transit Bus to Port Authority on 42nd st (2 blocks from Times Square) only cost us $27.50 for a family of 4. It's located 2 minutes away from the hotel and the hours are better than the shuttle as it runs til 1am compared to the last shuttle being 11pm. Once you board the bus it takes you straight there with no stops to pick up anyone else where as the shuttle has 2 additional stops at 2 other hotels.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank FP7020
ComfortSuitesNJ, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Hello,

Kind Regards,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I may have a bad time visiting this hotel when their elevator was 'broken'. Well they said it was not completely broken as it is still operational until 4th floor, where my room unfortunately in 5th floor... I am lucky travelling with my husband as he is the one carrying our suitcase (for three person) using the stairs, as I carying our food bags.
What I am dissapointed is, I do always request to have a higher floor room because I don't like to hear people 'walking' above my room whenever I booked a hotel room. But that night, when we politely asked if there is another room to the reception, they said they don't have, and she mention that 'someone has requested to have a higher floor room so we prepare that room for you'. That is when I said "I did not request a broken elevator". I am upset because she said that, instead of only apologise for their broken elevator..
The room itself was spacey.. I had a fully operational refrigerator, microwave, coffee-maker, perfect for my family need. However, I think the room need upgrades. It smells when I entering the room, I think the smells come from the toilet. The room also has a dusty dusty smells and feels old.. (I tried to be objective here, not because my experience with the receptionist).
Breakfast was fine, a standard hotel breakfast.
I still give them 2 stars because it was close to NYC, and a better deal compare to NYC pricey hotels. But if I had to visit NJ again, I will choose another hotel.
I hope you have a better luck with this hotel, hopefully they solve their elevator problem soon.

Room Tip: Ask if they had fixed their elevator!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
ComfortSuitesNJ, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this review, 12 December 2013

ohio
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I had booked this hotel with an online vendor for 3 nights. I had changed my check in date one day later. I modified it within the time before any penalties could occur. When I came to check in, they did not have my reservation! The manager on duty asked if I had a confirmation number. She had it in her hand when I said I was here to check in. After checking on her computer, she said the modified reservation wasn't in her system. The original reservation was in the system but they considered it a no show and cancelled my entire reservation. They said it was the online vendor's fault and there's nothing they could do.

I asked if they had any rooms available and was told they were booked full. I had to ask if they could help find a different hotel then since having a confirmation here means nothing. The manager had said if we had booked directly with them, then my reservation would have been guaranteed.

After I returned home, I noticed they charged me the first night as a no show. I called the hotel and explained what happened and how they didn't have my room and never even stayed there and was still charged for something that was not my fault. I was told that the charge has been released out of their system and should be credited in about 5-7 business days. Couple weeks went by and I remembered to check to see if that charge was credited back and it's still there. I talked to the general manager and he said he would check in to it. That was almost a week ago. He hasn't replied to any email or voicemail I left asking about any updates on this matter.

After this fiasco, I will not recommend this hotel to anyone. Just because you have a confirmation number, doesn't mean you even have a room at this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank oceanblue1215
ComfortSuitesNJ, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at Comfort Suites.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding your recent reservation. As we had spoken, we had requested for some time to find as to why the change in your reservation did not come through our system at our end and it went as a no-show. We are still looking into this and need time to respond to you accordingly.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to North Bergen.

Kind Regards,

Trieste, Italy
Reviewed 20 November 2013

15 minutes far from Port Authority Bus Terminal (gate 51) in New York by bus (3.- USD). So the hotel is well located. And cheap, compared to most of the hotels around. Comfy huge bed, mostly highly clean. And quiet, despite the main road where it sits. Good, vary and rich breakfast. The staff was nice, even if they didn't tell me about the cheapest bus, they didn't give me a plug adaptor and they didn't give me the room I actually booked and paid for (the one with the kitchen...)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Ramada Jersey City
Ramada Jersey City
#7 of 14 in Jersey City
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,075 reviews

Been to Quality Suites? Share your experiences!