“One of my favorite hotel”

Meadowlands View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in North Bergen
NYC
“One of my favorite hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

We were told to evacuate our oceanfront home during the hurricane Irene.
My family was fortunate to find two adjoining rooms on the 9th floor of the Days Inn Hotel in North Bergen New Jersey. As we arrived into the Days Inn parking lot, things started to go well for us. From the chaos that we had packing and moving everything into our car to the tranquility and luxury accomodation. Taking our belonging from our car was not a big deal as I thought it would have been. From our car to the lobby was few steps and they have the wonderful cart available to put luggage. We quickly checked in. The lobby was charming and people were having breakfast in the cafe which we tried the next day. We found the cafe to be the best breakfast in New Jersey. When we got up to our floor, we were stunned to see the marble and the chrome hallway which belongs to a modern luxury hotel. We almost forgot that we were in the Days Inn. The rooms had flat screen tv.
My younger brother was quick to hook up his xbox so he was less of a bother to me.
My mother went to the other room where she unpacked and at a short time we felt like we were at home. The mattress was very comfortable. The rooms were immaculate clean.
To our surprise, the bathroom which was all marble and has a bidet something we did not see in any hotel in the United States. We found it to be very hygienic. We were told that week the hotel opened a Chinese Buffet at its rooftop floor, 12th floor and we decided to have dinner there. Wonderful experience! The food was tasty and the price for dinner is $12.99 per person including drink is a bargain. The place is spacious, luxury and has good music background of the 50's & 60's. My brother was running throughout the hallway and the lobby and the front desk employees were very nice and patient with him, something we were worried about. We traveled a lot and we never found a place like this during our stay. Since it was during the hurricane experience, we felt safe and the rate
was good and my mother said that she was ready to pay much more. We found out later the hotel in NYc was charging at least $600-$800 per room per night, while this hotel rate was only $129. We also found out later that this hotel has shuttle service to Times Square
and back to the hotel, 10 minutes away. We met some nice people in the hotel we got friendly with.

3 Thank penny120852

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Aventura, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

I spent three nights at this hotel with my daughter and two grandaughters. It is located minutes from Midtown Manhattan. I thouroughly enjoyed the stay. Our rooms had been newly renovated - granite floors and bathrooms, flat screen televisions, mini refrigerators, coffee pots, irons and ironing boards, etc...... It felt like we were in a luxury hotel at a budget price. An added bonus - great "free" parking.There are two computers in reception area (also free) will ability to print boarding passes for our return flight to Florida. Lovely breakfast room with full breadfast menu. Super clean! Location allowed us to do lots of sightseeing and to visit relatives.

1 Thank Helen B
vienna
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

he most positive about this hotel, but i am afraid that almost the only thing, was the price. the hotel is ok if you are just looking for a place to sleep and spend all day in new york. after all, if you have to calculate every $$$ twice and are ready to accept some drawbacks, the hotel might be still ok for you.

The location of the hotel is not as good as we expected. there is a bus(125) which goes like every hour from new york to a bus-station near the hotel. you still have to go down a steep hill for about 500m. the neighborhood is distressing in the first place, but you can get used to it. i think that it is safer than it looks. don't expect to like it at all. to go back to new york you have a wide range of bus lines so you don't need to be 'on time' in this direction. you still have to go up back the steep hill. tickets cost about $2.5 - $3.2 one-way and the journey takes about 15-20 minutes. i am quite sure that there are also other alternatives to get to the hotel from new york, because there are many of these smaller buses, which look like private ones, but we didn't have the time to figure it out. no matter which public transportation you choose, the steep hill is always between the bus-stop and the hotel. the hotel for itself looks quite old. the rooms on the pictures look at least a little bit modern, but the room we actually got, was not a little bit like shown. i can imagine that the hotel was on the "better side", but something like 10-20years ago. after all, we did not stay in this hotel for long, so it was ok. the daily journey to new jersey was a bigger drawback than we thought in the first place. its not the time or the money, because if you get on the bus you are quite fast at your destination. and if you add the daily transportation expenses, about $6 per day per person, you are still on the cheaper side. it's the fact that you have to think about and that you have to plan it, at least a little bit and therefore you can't be this spontaneous. you can't just go back to the hotel during the day, because it's not just a few stops with the metro. in the end most of the positive energy is gone if you finally reach your destination and the only thing you want to think of is just to go to bed, sleeping.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dmeey

Travellers are raving about these North Bergen hotels

Robbinsville, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

My expectations were low because of the price, so the visual of a burnt lampshade and bubbling walls weren't reassuring but weren't what lead me to write a negative review of this establishment. Rather, it was a security issue which the manager has since apologized and was very professional about, but should not have happened to begin with.

I did a quick inspection under the bed and saw several nails and screws and what looked like drywall. In the corner of the room was a large black hair clip. Both of these things made me feel that they did not vacuum thoroughly, but I didn't want to walk on the dark threadbare carpet anyway, nor would I use the linens other than the sheet. The bathroom did seem clean and there was a refrigerator which was convenient.

Along with the broken remote (to a tv that wasn't flat screened as a previous review mentioned) was a broken lamp that had its bulb base bent at a 90 degree angle and 2 cracked wall outlets that had trouble holding onto any plugs. The telephone jack was hanging out of the wall in a tangle of wires, and the ac unit made a startling banging sound when it started up and wound down.

My issue was that just before 11pm two hotel guests were assigned my room as well, and had a key to my room that opened my door. Had these guest arrived an hour prior, when I was not in the room, they would have had access to all my belongings. As it was they served to put a good scare in me. After a sleepless night I was happy to commute the long distance from my home to my training, rather than stay additional nights.

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SCD13
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

This was a low budget hotel option. Nothing fancy about it. I guess if you are looking for a cheap place to stay for the night in the NYC area (as we were) then it serves that purpose, but I would not stay here as a family for an extended time.

Room was decent size but had a smoky, unclean odor. The carpets were stained and dirty. The bathroom was clean. Cheap uncomfortable linens...very inexpensive polyester/nylon sheets, blankets, covers. Mattress was very thin.

Large parking lot with free parking. Breakfast is not included but there is a cafe on site. Checked out in the early morning listening to the cafe staff arguing loudly...that was not pleasant.

Won't return here again.

1 Thank s0ccerfamily6
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

I was on my way to NYC just before the Lincoln tunnel I noticed this high rise hotel since the had a large parking lot I decided to check it out. I couldn't get a room in NYC,to my surprise the had a room available.the lobby was charming and people ware having breakfast in the coffee shop.I decided to check in for 1 night.I paid about $127 a night.
I also told i can get wireless internet all around the building.when I got to my room I was more them pleasantly surprised. marbled bathrooms ,flat screen TV ,safe deposit box and very clean room.when I checked out I ate at their delicious coffee shop .I drove into Manhattan ware my friend arrange for me a hotel on the upper west side for $350 per night plus tax.parking for my car was about $60.I told my friend about this hotel that the accommodation ware superior to NYC hotel.Tow day later I went back to this hotel together with my friend. Defiantly coming back on my next trip.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ysss820
Griffin, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

We are from GA and flew to Philadelphia to the Shriner's Hospital for my daughter to have a major arm opertation. This trip was pretty unplanned since we were just killing time inbetwen the time from my daughters surgery until her follow-up appointment so we could return to GA. We stayed here from the 15th through the 19th of June and were very pleased with our stay. I couldnt believe this was a Days Inn because it was so nice. The hotel ended up being in the middle and very close to everything we ended up doing from seeing The Statue of Liberty to shopping to driving to New York. This hotel was in the perfect location and it saved us hundreds because we didnt have to actually stay in NY to enjoy it. Free Wi-Fi and parking was a plus, as well as having a fridge and microwave in the room. Rooms were very clean, maids cleaned rooms every day and gave fresh towels and washcloths. This hotel provided better service than the ones I have stayed at in Las Vegas. If I ever have to go back to this area in NJ, I will definetly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Meadowlands River Inn
#2 of 15 in Secaucus
Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands
La Quinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands

Been to Meadowlands View Hotel? Share your experiences!