“What a total dump!”

Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in North Brunswick
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Had to stay here for 2 nights during a wedding as this was, unfortunately, where the bride chose to house the out of town guests. Front desk totally useless - took forever to be checked in even though there was no one else checking in at the time! Hallways dark and musty. Guest room I was stuck in (no others to be had due to several wedding parties booking rooms) definitely had some sort of water damage as everything smelled moldy and my allergies were really bothered by mold. Hairs in bathroom upon check-in. Mattress lousy and it looked like there had been some evidence of a past bed bug infestation when I pulled the sheets back and checked behind the headboard (yep, I had to check because this entire place reminded me of the kind of dump where crack-addicted working girls would bring their "customers"). I will say I did not have any bites on me during my stay, but I definitely did not feel comfortable taking anything out of my suitcase that I wasn't going to wear and I kept the suitcase elevated off the carpet and bed just in case there was any residual "critter" that may have wanted to hitchike to another destination.

The only reason they get even 1 star is because the room and hallways were quiet at night (but note that my room faced the interior courtyard so I don't know if this would have been the case had I gotten a room facing the busy road that this hotel is located on) and the breakfast was adequate if all you are really looking for is some cereal and yogurt to tide you over in the morning.

Even the common areas are dumpy - the lobby furniture was worn out and torn. The exterior parking is a little dicey. There is a fence that divides the hotel from a strip mall area next door and the fence has a hole in it. Saw some strange characters hanging around after they climbed through the fence and started rifling through the dumpster out back in the parking lot. We cleared the car of anything that looked worth stealing.

To top it all off, when I got my credit card statement, this Ramada had charged my card twice for the stay and it took about half a dozen phone calls and emails to the GM to finally get them to remove the extra charge.

Room Tip: Choose a room at any other hotel in the area except this Ramada!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GoneTravelin07
There are newer reviews for Clarion Inn

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Stay away! Room keys must be continuously reset, poor management, horrible breakfast and bad rooms. Just a horrible place

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank NC119s
Reviewed 16 November 2010

first off i usually love the ramada - but lately the management has gotten sloppy. They dont seem to care about their guests and they have charged for things that should be free like shampoo and conditioner!!!!! The room was trashed with garbage when we arrived and management didnt care... dont come .. go to motel 66

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cawad
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Stayed at this hotel while attending a nearby wedding. Rooms were dirty and musty. Hotel looks threadbare and pool is in a bad state. Outside doors to guest room wings have keycard locks but they are not operating and doors are open 24 hours a day. When I got my credit card bill I found they had double charged me. I called the hotel and was told it would be corrected but a month later I have had to get the credit card company involved. ALL of the wedding guests I have talked to have had similar problems with multiple charges. My advice - keep away!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank engineer77
Reviewed 22 June 2010

This place is beyond sketchy. When we got there, there was a line to check in to the front desk and we overheard the lady tell the two couples in front of us that they don't give receipts if it was paid in cash...what? But if you paid by credit card, then you had to pay taxes. Can you say sketchy. Then this poor eldery man had to walk down 5 times because his room key was not working and the lady kept telling him to go and try it "one more time," one more time...they man tried 5 times before someone came with him and in the elevator told him that he didn't know why his boss was making him go to the room because the key was definitely NOT going to work. This poor man!! When we got to our room, it completely smelled like smoke...definitely hadn't been cleaned completely. But the worst part of this entire stay was the fact that I woke up with spider bites all over my arm and legs and because the hotel was full, we didn't even ask for second room. The air conditioner was either massively cold or insanely hot. This was a horrible horrible experience. Definitely do not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I am going to report this hotel to Ramada and never stay at a Ramada again. The rooms were dirty, the service was horrible and the full payment upfront was sketchy. It was especially unpleasant to be assigned to a room that was already occupied by other guests. After finally receiving a musty-smelling unoccupied room, we were told we would have to move rooms for the second night of our stay. The swimming pool is closed and apparently has been for 8 years. This establishment is not worth the discounted rate of $50 a night.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We were two couples who showed up for a wedding in the area in June. Our hosts had suggested the Ramada, which struck us as a solid budget option.

Things were odd from the start. When we arrived at the front desk, the manager told us they only took cash. If we paid with a credit card, he said, we would have to pay federal taxes. Um. Sounds to me like this place isn't declaring income... But whatever. We paid in cash to avoid the extra charges. When we got to our room, we noticed that it smelled funny. Then we discovered a travel shaving cream and a used bar of Dove soap (not normal hotel soap) in the bathroom. And on the desk in the bedroom were bottles of partially-consumed Johnny Walker Black Label and some sort of citrus liqueur.

Then, my boyfriend opened one of the nightstand drawers only to find an extremely odd assortment of items: a plastic bag of soy nuts, tiny bottles of green liquid with Hindi writing, two small plastic bags of dark-green pills, five boxes of Dove soap, and an odd tampon-shaped plastic vial with white powder inside. Wha.....??? Housekeeping had clearly missed this one.

Meanwhile, the other couple we were with had discovered that the room they were assigned was already occupied. We each asked for new rooms. Our friends' room actually seemed decent, but our room--although it was non-smoking--smelled heavily of cigarette smoke. We decided to leave and after trying a nearby Hampton Inn (which was booked full, unfortunately), we went down the road to a Holiday Inn Express, which was very nice.

Oh, also, we had been really excited about the swimming pool that this Ramada advertises on its website, but the pool has no water in it and according to another tripadvisor review has been CLOSED FOR 8 YEARS!! Talk about false advertising...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Holiday Inn Express Tower Center New Brunswick
Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
#1 of 4 in New Brunswick

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!