“Friendly , Clean, Great location, reasonable..” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Express Inn - North Plainfield

Howard Johnson Express Inn - North Plainfield
Swiftwater, Pennsylvania, USA
“Friendly , Clean, Great location, reasonable..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Friendly Front Desk, Clean comfortable rooms, easy parking ,great location for NJ /NYC/ PA frequent traveller, right on route 22 a major east - west artery with plenty of Shopping,Fast Food, & ethnic Restaurants. found the Front desk & staff efficient,helpful & friendly.. with very reasonable rates for area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank John C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Westport, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

They have wide screen tvs, King size beds....good water pressure. Fairly easy parking for large trucks. Been staying here weekly for 19 years! Nice early grab and go breakfast. Lots of restaurants in the area. It is always been for business stays. During the mid week.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bethany S
pooja69, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - North Plainfield, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Thnak you for your feedbeck.
Plainfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Great place to stay
Friendly staff..
New rooms with Big flat screen tvs.
Best value in the area.
Free breakfast

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I am originally from NJ and have passed this hotel many times. I travel extensively for business and pleasure. I would normally never stay at this hotel, however, I was back home visiting my sister who lives close by. I will NEVER stay there again. I checked in for two nights and ended up leaving mid-way through the second night. The first night was bad enough, it was loud and the room smelled musty. The second night was what really made me upset. From 9:30PM on Friday until 4:30AM Saturday morning, there was non stop banging and yelling. The people below me were either having a domestic dispute or having sex, hard to tell. I called the front desk clerk to complain and he said he would notify them. Then there were people, running up and down the hallway yelling and drinking all night long. The loudest parts tool place from 1:00AM - 4:30AM. Then the yelling and banging and loud music from outside started during that time. They were screaming and yelling into phones. I called the front at least 5 times to complain and he may have gone out there but nothing was ever done to stop it. Finally at around 3:00AM I notified that I wanted a refund and was leaving because I couldn't fall asleep with the loud racket. He told me I couldn't get a refund till I talked to the manager. I finally was able to speak to a "Manager" on Tuesday. Her resolution was to offer me 10% off the last nights stay. I told her that this was unacceptable. She refused to do any more. When I told her I wanted to escalate to her supervisor, she stated that she had no supervisor and gave me an 800 number to call. This place is the worst. I wish I didn't have to give it even one star. I am now boycotting the Wyndham Hotel Group. I will never again stay at any of their properties based on their complete lack of customer service or attempt to resolve any issues.

Room Tip: The only tip I have is to stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank sobemargie

Travellers are raving about these North Plainfield hotels

Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

There are not many places to stay in this area that cost well under $100. This is one of them, but it is easy to see why.

Despite my poor review, I have stayed there several times over the past few years. I have regular work in the area. Many of my preferred hotels often get booked up and I cannot get a room. This is my hotel of last resort.

The building is an older two story style motel, where you check in up front, then drive your care around back to get to your room. There is no view and you will want to keep your curtains closed.

For many years the hotel has been run down and in bad shape. However, as I write this in late 2011, the hotel is in the process of being renovated. It appears the outside is still under construction, but my room had all new furniture and a nice new flat screen TV, so that was a nice bonus. I also had a mini-fridge and microwave in my room, which was nice too. The room seemed relatively clean for a cheap hotel.

Unfortunately, I suspect the renovations are not going well. Upon taking a shower in the morning, I put my towel on the shower curtain rack, only to have the entire rack fall down on my head.

Also unfortunate was the hotel's response. When checking out, I mentioned the incident and suggested that they would need to have that fixed. The clerk (who had been sitting in the lobby watching TV when I walked in) simply noted something on a piece of paper and continued the check out. A simple "I'm sorry" would have been nice.

The hotel also claims to make available breakfast. However, that seems to consist of a box of muffins, some cold cereal, and milk and juice (and they were out of juice). Despite what you may be told, don't plan on eating breakfast there.

The room is along Route 22, which is a busy commercial highway. Fortunately, the hotel is set back far enough that I was not bothered by traffic. There are a number of decent places to eat within a few miles, including several Chinese restaurants and an Outback. There is also plenty of fast food places.

My bottom line: if you are looking for a really cheap place and this a convenient location, you might give it a try. But don't expect much. If you can afford somewhere else in the area, it is probably worth it.

Room Tip: I recommend second floor so you don't get headlights in your window, and one facing the back, so...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Travelling_Guru_Guy
North Plainfield, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

What a disgusting place! I stayed there and as soon as i checked in, the front desk were so rude and they were talking in indian and being very obnoxious not paying attention to me. I checked into the room and it smelled so bad! The heater was blowing dust, there were throw up stains on the sofa. The bed had pubic hair. I mean this place is horrible, I dont understand how anyone can pay so much for a crappy place! PLEASEEE TAKE MY ADVICE AND NEVER GO THERE! Horrible experience!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tenzin y
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed in this hotel for our last night in the U.S before flying back to Europe. I cannot recommend this place at all. The hotel is undergoing extensive renovation and refurbishment. It was like coming into a building site with paint cans and construction materials scattered all over the place. The stairs and hallways were dirty and it was extremely dusty due to the construction work - we were glad that none of us are allergic, that would have been a catastrophe. The room we got was completely refurbished and seemed very nice at first. However, it turned out that there was not much that worked. The great modern flat-screen TV on the wall had only one channel and the room's air-conditioning lived a life of its own... . We needed to check our flight booking, but there was no guest computer in the reception. The staff in the reception promised they could help us with what we needed from their own computer. But when two of the staff members had spent about fifteen minutes to just get out on the internet (they said that they happened to have a slow connection that day) and the queue of waiting guests lined up, we withdrew our request.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GunnelM
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Plainfield
BEST WESTERN PLUS Murray Hill Hotel & Suites
Holiday Inn South Plainfield - Piscataway
Holiday Inn South Plainfield - P...
#2 of 4 in South Plainfield
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Pis...
#1 of 4 in South Plainfield
Extended Stay America - Piscataway - Rutgers University
BEST WESTERN Westfield Inn
Courtyard Basking Ridge
Courtyard Basking Ridge
#3 of 4 in Basking Ridge

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - North Plainfield? Share your experiences!