“worst travel experience ever”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - North Plainfield
Reviewed 23 July 2012

this hotel is currently being refurbished. however upon my return I checked reviews and by all accounts this has been going on for18months. absolutely disgusting , ants crawling out of the one and only computer in the reception and the floors and surfaces in this common area were disgusting .Also , as another reviewer mentioned, there is the weirdest smell. it was a very strong pest control type odour. the exterior looks nothing like the photo on the website and there are skips and builders rubble everywhere. the whole place actually looks closed down !!!
the room itself did have a comfortable bed, but there were stains on the sheets, a dirty carpet and a mouldy bath, so it was not in anyway conducive to a good nights sleep for anyone who has concerns about cleanliness!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!
we paid $193.52 to travelocity for one night. other guests we spoke to were only paying $54
per night

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I didn't expect to be staying in this hotel on the night that I booked it on Hotel.com, but I am glad I did. It looks like this hotel is almost finished with renovations (on this night I could see that they were not finished working on the front of the hotel).

I didn't have high expectations either. I basically booked it without checking Tripadvisor (blasphemy!) so, I was a little scared. When I walked in, I could feel a big wave of relief. Everything was very nice! I gave myself a pat on the back for taking a risk.

It was clean, I saw no bugs, the bed was amazingly comfortable, the bathroom was spotless (I have pics to prove it), the air conditioner worked excellent, and there was a very nice big flat screen TV!

Its in an area that is very quiet (no undesirables loitering around at night), there is a microwave and a mini fridge.

The front desk staff was very nice and I had no issues checking in. And I didn't smell a weird smell like other people complained about in other reviews.

I will be staying here again, and I am looking forward to it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I booked this hotel through hotwire and stayed there one night prior to my flight in Newark airport. As mentioned by another reviewer, the hotel is under construction. There was a lot of mess. This hotel is owned/managed by Indian ... There was weird smell everywhere. The room quality is even lower than 1-star. The frontdesk was very rude. I waited for around 20 min before she stopped talking on the phone. She gave me a very crappy room when she realized my reservation was through hotwire. So, be careful about this if you accidentally booked this hotel from hotwire. She even forgot to give us the access card to my room. The janitors were yelling in the hallway while they were cleaning rooms, but I couldn't understand Indian. The air conditioner was not functional properly. It worked as it liked to. I called the frontdesk but no one came to check it or we were offered to another room. Never go there!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2012 via mobile

this hotel is under construction, and in the process of a facelift, no room to eat breakfast, but the room was great, color cordinated, large bed, 47 inch flat screen, and very clean bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank 1Prophet
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We had booked a room for two nights, since there aren't a lot of options in North Plainfield. (I think this may be the only one!) Although the websites say no pets allowed, we called the motel directly and were told we could have our cat for an additional fee and we would be put in one of the non-renovated rooms. At that time, we expected a non-renovated room to be dated, maybe furniture a little scratched up. We were wrong. Very wrong. We had no other option but to stay the first night, but then checked out the next day and cut our trip short.

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, so we had to kill time for an hour (not easy to do with a cat in his carrier). Finally we were told it was ready and got our key. I'm not sure how many rooms off this hallway (interior, lower level) were renovated, but I'm kind of hoping none since the stench in the hallway was disgusting. The corridor was uneven, making it challenging to walk without tripping. Hard to describe the smell, but I think maybe "carpeting post-flood and frat party" might be close. Inside the room, the carpets were dirty. Bedding seemed clean, though, which was one very important thing, and almost distracted us from the hole in the wall and the graffiti here and there. The bathroom was horrid. The tub/shower had so much mildew that taking a shower was out of the question. Made the mistake of walking into the bathroom barefoot and the tile floor was all slimy. Large, thick patches of mold in various corners of the bathroom were impressively big--think a deck of cards, but green and white and fuzzy. The TV was blurry and didn't stay in focus for long stretches of time, and all the people glowed a neon orange. The hallway was pretty much non-stop with people running up and down, sometimes children shrieking, other times teens loudly planning items needed for special "party" they were having. (We did not know their had been a drug/weapons bust the week before.) The man working the front desk the morning we checked out was rude and belligerent and told us we had to come back to see the manager if we wanted our money back for the night we weren't staying. Fortunately, we had some errands and were able to make the stop back on our way out of town and receive credit for the night we did not stay.

Room Tip: The renovated rooms may be acceptable (didn't see any of them) but I would worry about safety of...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Decent, nice, simple place. They are renovating the place so the rooms are modern and nice. Management was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank kody76
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Friendly Front Desk, Clean comfortable rooms, easy parking ,great location for NJ /NYC/ PA frequent traveller, right on route 22 a major east - west artery with plenty of Shopping,Fast Food, & ethnic Restaurants. found the Front desk & staff efficient,helpful & friendly.. with very reasonable rates for area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank John C
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Plainfield
Holiday Inn South Plainfield - Piscataway
Holiday Inn South Plainfield - P...
#4 of 5 in South Plainfield
WoodSpring Suites South Plainfield
WoodSpring Suites South Plainfie...
#3 of 5 in South Plainfield
Extended Stay America - Piscataway - Rutgers University
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Piscataway
Hampton Inn South Plainfield-Pis...
#1 of 5 in South Plainfield
Red Roof Inn Edison
Red Roof Inn Edison
#6 of 15 in Edison
Clarion Hotel
Clarion Hotel
#15 of 16 in Somerset

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - North Plainfield? Share your experiences!