“One of the worst hotels”
Review of Surf 16 Motel

Surf 16 Motel
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in North Wildwood
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“One of the worst hotels”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I just returned from a 2-night stay at this hotel and I quite honestly don't know where to start. This hotel was pet friendly and was rated 11th out of 43 N. Wildwood hotels so we took a chance even though the reviews were mixed.

When we arrived at the hotel, we knew we had made a mistake by booking this hotel. The exterior was severely weather-beaten and was in need of a desperate makeover and some paint. Paint was blistered and chipping on the exterior and the benches which were outside of each room were rusted and dirty. When we opened the door to our room, we quite literally wanted to run away and go to another hotel. The bathroom tile was from the 1930's era and the flooring in the living and sleeping area consisted of 12"X12" self-adhesive tiles. I realize being a pet-friendly that carpeting would be a no-no, but 12” adhesive tiles in place of ceramic tiling were a disgrace. The so called bath towels were of the cheapest quality that I would not wash and wax my car with these towels for fear of scratching my paint, let alone dry my body. I never walked on the floors of the hotel room WITHOUT having my sandals on and slept in the bed with my socks on my feet as the room appeared to be out of a Stephen King novel or for you older readers, an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

The kitchenette looked like something removed from a 100 year old Gettysburg cabin used shortly after the Civil War. There were no utensils, plates, or plastic cups, however, for a deposit of $25, you could have borrowed them from management. The utensils would have been an upgrade to say the least. The cabinet above the stove top was rusted and appeared to be at least 50 years old. There was no way I was going to place anything in this cabinet with the exception of perhaps a screwdriver and wrench. It resembled a cabinet one would keep in their shed to store mechanicals.

There was one (1) lamp and one (1) light bulb for a room which consisted of two (2) queen beds and a kitchenette. There were literally two (2) electrical outlets for the entire room. We had to remove the 1960's model 15" color television from an extension cord to; yes I said extension cord, to recharge my cell phone. I don't know how this hotel would ever pass an electrical inspection. Paint was slapped on woodwork trim throughout the room and was all over the bathroom door. In addition, the owner of this hotel has the audacity to charge its guests to access a WI-FI signal. I ask you, who today charges its guests to access the Internet?

And finally, I must comment on the older woman who attends the front desk who was rude, impolite, and never smiled.

We have stayed at the Jersey shore before and this hotel ranks as the worst in every way imaginable and THE worst we have ever stayed. With the limited number of hotel rooms in North Wildwood due to the development of condos over the past several years, the owners of this hotel are quite literally robbing tourists who wants to visit and stay at the Jersey Shore for a weekend.

I have no idea who the people are who gave this hotel a higher rating, but PLEASE listen to me and the others who rated this hotel as Terrible.

2 Thank coach3415
surf1646686, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
"One of the Worst Hotels" Wow! Talk about having your bubble burst! Here we thought we were making some real improvements for our second season. "Coach" your comments are duly noted and you can be sure that many of the things that you point out are of concern to us also. I'm not sure any of your observations could have been resolved during your stay here but maybe if you had expressed your disatisfaction in person we could have worked to improve your stay. You are obviously a seasoned traveler who uses The Trip advisor forum frequently. I would like to offer a little history about our place in order to put things in prospective.
This is one of the original "Doo Wop" style motels in North Wildwood which if you know anything about the local history it really dates us. We have a season measured in days and then nothing. Pressure comes from everywhere to knock these old buildings down and start new.Being a builder myself It is always an option. However, presently that is not our desire.
We are working as hard as possible as a family using all of our individual skills collectively to improve what we have. Unfortunately we do not have the power of unlimited financial resources or a large corporate orginazation to assist us in realizing our goals any faster. We are truly a "Mom and Pop, Kids and extened family establishment".
I know it may have been difficult for you to see, but we have come a long way in two seasons and I am extremely proud of the progess that has been made and the efforts of my family. Every member of my family is contributing and supporting our efforts. And yeah, we have some painting to do and some remodeling work and even some rebuilding to complete but we are all working long hard hours to show we care very much about the comfort of our guests. As I am sure all the other owners here can attest to as well. We were not even aware that you were so disatisfied with your visit. I read in your other Trip advisor reviews that you also hated the beach and some of our local restaurants too. We look for every reasonable way to make guests happy and to make steady improvements. It is a very challenging business made more challanging by the short season. We have plans and plans take money. We are committed to improving this property so that all the great people who have stayed here in the past and those who choose us in the future will be fully satisfied and have rich long memories of their vacations here.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lincroft, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed here because of the pet friendly policy, and we were very happy with the room and the management. No pet smell, or old worn out carpet and furniture, overall, a nice clean room. My dog wasn't happy being left alone, but the manager was very understanding of our situation, and he balanced keeping us happy, while keeping the other guests happy as well. The new air conditioner was quiet and efficient, and for a refundable $25.00, the kitchen box they gave us was great, with everything we needed to enjoy the kitchen. That saved us money by making lunches and snacks for the beach. We also met some nice folks using the grills and picnic tables which are free for the guests. Nice, free parking off street, and I would come back to this "close to the beach" property.

Room Tip: No restaurant or fitness center, that I was aware of, so that is why the average ratings for those...
1 Thank Dennis C
surf1646686, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank You for the nice review it was a shame your little guy was not so appreciative of your efforts to include him in on the weekend outing. I think the strange surroundings were just a little much for him. We are glad that you and the wife had fun and hope you return soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Just came back from a trip to Wildwood. We waited until the last minute to book, so we were happy to find a place that could accommodate us on such short notice. The rooms were clean and had everything that we needed. The owners were super friendly and extremely attentive. We enjoyed the kitchenettes and barbecue grills which allowed us to make our own meals and enjoy them pool side! My sister was concerned about her pet allergies and mentioned them when we made our reservation. Upon our arrival we learned that the owners had taken extra care to thoroughly clean and change out everything in her family’s room. When we thanked them, their response was “We just wanted you to be comfortable and enjoy your stay while you’re here.” Can’t beat that! If you’re going to Wildwood, this is the place to stay!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank AzBrewer
surf1646686, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Hosting your family was indeed our pleasure! Your children were very sweet and mature. You are very kind to take the time to write a nice review about us. We look forward to you returning with the whole group soon. Make sure the brother from "down under" comes back with you, he was a crack up, not soon to be forgotten. He may actually have the distinction of being the guest who traveled the farthest and stayed with us (Australia) this year.
Ardmore, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I spent 5 days with my grandchildren and "grand dog". We had a great time. Everyone, from the owners to the guests, were friendly. Rooms were clean, staff was attentive . I will definately be back next year.

1 Thank Barbara H
surf1646686, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank You for your kind words.
Springfield, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My family and I had a great time here. You can tell it is under new ownership. The rooms are clean and up-to-date. The pool was great! After a few hours at the beach we came back and spent a couple more hours in the warm pool. The owners are very friendly and personable. AND, they allow pets (they are family too, ya know)! I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a clean room, friendly owners, close to the beach and boardwalk, and VERY affordable. DO NOT overlook this motel!

4 Thank Louis P
surf1646686, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank You My family and I are happy to read that your stay here was enjoyable. It felt great to be hosting all of the great soccer families for the Beach Blast weekend. The families from Philly sure know how to enjoy themselves at the shore. The pool, beach and the boardwalk provide something for everyone to do. And our private pet yard gives the little four legged family members a nice change of scenery on or off the leash.
Watchung, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We would like to thank Rick and his family for all your hospitality of this hotel. Everything is very clean and my family and I had a great time! Hope to be seeing you soon! You guys went out of your way to make everything perfect for our mini vacation.

Ginger and family

2 Thank Ginger M
, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you Ginger. Hosting you and your family was our pleasure. The weather was great for the beach and the pool. Barbequeing on the fourth with everyone is always a good time
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 July 2012

For the last 16 years every summer we stay here at Surf 16 with our 2 pups. The owners & staff are the best you can ask for always there,even when the office is closed. Very clean hotel. We are going back in a week and the 4 of us can't wait.

Room Tip: We always stay in the 2 bedroom Apartment on the lower level,just so our 2 dogs have room to move a...
2 Thank Mary Beth L
, Owner at Surf 16 Motel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you for the kind words we look forward to your return. And more good times.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Wildwood
The Sand Box Motel
The Sand Box Motel
#3 of 76 in Wildwood
Howard Johnson Wildwood Boardwalk
Howard Johnson Wildwood Boardwal...
#39 of 41 in North Wildwood

Been to Surf 16 Motel? Share your experiences!