“Matadore score!”

Matador Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in North Wildwood
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I have stayed here multiple times. It is right at the beginning of the boardwalk. I like that. It is also right on the beach. The life guards start right there in the morning. The motel itself, is fine. Nothing great, but nothing bad. Staff are friendly, rooms are clean, but a little small. Prices were average. I like that it gets lots of sun, and the man with the fruit truck stops right on the side street. Yummy, fresh fruit on a hot day!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank goin_south78

Reviewed 12 February 2010

This is going to be my 3rd apperance at this little quaint joint call the Matador Motel...I have to tell you this place is in the primus of prime places to stay while in Wildwood.The first time I ever came here I said to myself....What a Dump !!!!!!!!! But believe me, It grows on you..... The Rooms are not the greatest in the world,and the decor is like watching an old pilot of The Brady Bunch, while tripping on acid. ( They really need to update their furniture)....... But never the less. The staff is second to none.And the family atmosphere is wonderful..... There is no life guard on duty either....for all of you non swimmers out there..........But overall it is extremley quiet at night time.... I know it seems like I am Bashing this place....But, I'm really not.......I have some fond memories here, that cannot ever be duplicated by my family already....And to be quite frank with you, I would"nt trade them in for the world.......Matador Motel gets 4 stars im my book......I love it.......Juggernaut

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2009

We had a marvellous vacation. The hotel and staff were supurb, outstanding and a pleasure to be around. The hotel is in a prime location, great views, easy access to all amenities. The staff were very helpful, very courteous and could not do enough for us. We would highly recomend The Matador Hotel to everyone, we cannot praise them enough. The Matador Hotel in North Wildwood, NJ will be our vacation spot for many years to come.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoanPennsylvania
Reviewed 17 September 2009

The Matador is 1) On the beach! 2) The length of the beach from the Motel to the water is a perfect size. In the Crest the beaches are so big that in many areas they actually have a taxi service that takes you stuff to your blanket. 3) The life Guard house is just to the left hand side of The Matador and this gives our family additional comfort. 4) It is the first motel next to the North side of the 2 mile long board walk. The benefit is that it is not on the boardwalk so you do not have the people walking underneath you till 2 am and the TRAM CAR saying Watch the tram Car all night.---because it is the first motel you have access to the boardwalk w/o having to drive in. Also most of the rises for the kids is on the first pier on the North Wildwood side not the Crest side.

The motel itself is a family owned and on premise establishment that is kept very clean and offers two large decks overlooking the ocean where families can meet. Central air large flat screen cable TV's in each room. Lock boxes are available and everyone has parking. The pool is heated and kept very clean.

There are gas barbeque grills available for all guests.

My family can afford to stay at any place along the Jersey Shore but this place is the best kept secret . I have been going to this place every summer 3 weeks a year for 10 years.
TheInga's
[--]

1  Thank ScoopNorthJersey
Reviewed 16 September 2009

My husband and I have been coming to the Matador for the past 4 years and have enjoyed and LOVED not only all the updated amenaties from top to bottom, but LOVED being able to relax and soak up all that the Matador had to offer. We LOVED having our coffee in the morning as my husband and I watched the sunrise from our balcony just before our two children who are 4 and 2 wake up. For us with two kids as soon as those cuties wake up the first thing they want to do is jump in the amazing pool. Heated to the perfect temprature no matter what the summer air brings. My kids were in the pool constantly with my husband. I was able to lay back and enjoy both views. My husband and kids playing in the pool and enjoying the ocean front scene by pool side honestly it could not have gotten more relaxing than that. Beach side, Boardwalk side and playground side.. you have everything only a few small steps away...literally.

I would LOVE to thank the MATADOR and it's staff, who are out of this world. There is nothing more to LOVE than having a staff of people making you their main focus and thier highest priority. Thank you for continuing to make every year that we are there seem to be better than the last... can't wait until next year.

1  Thank airbozwaldo
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We had stayed at the Matdor Motel several years ago for a Family reunion for my parents 50th anniversary. I agree with what many have said that the location of the motel is great - close to the beach, boardwalk, and restaurants. However, even then, I felt that the motel left a little to be desired. It was quite dated, small rooms - despite the rather large daily rates. Our air conditioners "broke" that week and leaked all over our beds ( and consequently our heads while we slept). But otherwise, we survived. We realize things can happen!
Therefore, this year when it came time to book a reunion trip for my Mom's 80th birthday, we turned back to the Matador. A few of my siblings chose to rent rooms of varying sizes in the actual motel. I noticed that the Matador listed a "family apartment" for rent at 242 E 14th Ave -affiliated with the Matador with full use of the amenities of the motel ( pool, outside showers, grills ( if you could ever find one free), parking for day time use in the lot) The house was to be the 2nd & 3rd floors of the home at the address I've listed. Since I have gone to Wildwood since I was a baby, I am well aware of "old shore" homes. I specifically asked if this home had air conditioning and was told that there were room airconditioners in the "living area" and the bedrooms. This proved to be only partially true. There were a.c in only 2 of the 4 bedrooms. The home is old construction - which is totally fine - however - this home is unkempt and outdated with several articles broken - for instance, neither of the bathroom doors locked and the 3rd floor bathroom door knob fell off the first attempt to open the door., the second floor bathroom when the door was closed took a heavy push with a shoulder to open the door. There was no screen in the bathroom window so when opened to allow free air flow, the bugs flowed in as well. Speaking of bugs, we enjoyed the company of ants non-stop all week in that bathroom as well as one of the other 2nd floor bedrooms. The first floor bathroom also had plastic tiles on the walls that were falling off - some completely missing - the caulking around the tub was rotting, peeling away from the tub ( hence the basic entrance for the ants). The stairs to the third floor were steep ( it was an old home so naturally, they would be) but there was no hand rail at all. Also, there did not appear to be any adequate escape route from that level should there be a fire blocking the stairs - there was a window at the top of the stairs - that - oh yes, also had a broken screen. The kitchen which was billed as one that should accomodate 9 people, had 2 very small sauce pans - no larger pots to accomodate food for 9 - we had to ask at the office and did receive some with instructions to return these that night after we used them!!! We also had no corkscrew, no can opener and no spatula! The hangers provided in the closets were squashed, rusted metal hangers. The mattresses on every bed except one were the VERY old green vinyl mattresses that are extremely uncomfortable. I addressed several of these issues with the owner on the second day there. He told me if he had $50,000.00 to update, he would and then charge $4000.00 per week ( we paid $1800.00). I explained to him ( having been someone who had owned shore rental property in the past) that it wouldn't be necessary to spend that money to update - in fact only a fraction - also, since this house is 3 blocks from the beach and small, he would not get $4000.00 in rent. My sister rented a new construction home in the 200 E block of 20th -2 stories 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths - cost her $1400.00 and OH MY, the difference!!!! Additionally, on the Monday of the week we stayed, the flourescent light in the drop ceiling ( with stains splattered all over it) in the kitchen went out as we were trying to cook. I called the owner and he asked if the "tall guy with the gray hair" that he met at check in could get up on a chair and "jiggle It" Now we had already had 1 person ( not a large guy) sit on a deck chair that collpased under him, so I refused - the owner seemed incredulous that we would not put someone on a possibly rickety chair to put his hand in an electric situation. He reluctantly sent a handy man - who I will say was the most genuine, accomodating person we met the entire week at this dive. He really was very helpful and fixed a few other things that he could that night - like the 3rd floor bathroom door knob that had fallen off) The next day, the owner did send an electrician to fix that kitchen light and the bathroom light on the 3rd floor that did not work by the wall switch but rather one had to reach to the ceiling to turn on a switch. This bathroom also did not have a holder for the toilet paper ( well, I think there had been one but it was broken). The living area was composed of a sofa and loveseat with 2 older thermal gold blankets thrown on them as "slipcovers". When taken off, the soaf was torn in a few spots. the other furniture was folding chairs - yep, that's right, folding chairs!!! The TV was sitting on a very old rickety stand and the TV had a large melted spot on top as well as none of the knobs on the actual TV were present - thankfully, the remote worked. The sliders to the deck did not have a screen so if one wanted to keep the door opened - you bet - the bugs joined right in!. The kitchen was seriously dated - thankfully, there was a microwave ( small) but it took several of us to figure out how to use it - not really sure what that was all about but VERY complicated - and then, each morning, we jokingly called it our upper extremity exercise because one had to lean against the wall and pull the microwave door with all your might just to open it!
Now if this had been just a trip to Wildwood, it would have been bad enough but this was for my Mom's 80th birthday and she had to stay in this dump - she & Dad are fairly simple, easy to please but this is just wrong! This place was billed as an extension of the Matador and it is sooooo much worse. I spoke with the owner, as I said, and he very insincerely told me that if his wife wouldn't be mad at him he would switch houses with me in a heartbeat. He lies . He wouldn't spend 5 minutes in this place. As someone else mentioned in another review, the owner did NOTHING to ease our frustration and upsetness with such a subpar accomodation. In fact, he told me that I "must be used to more upscale accomodations". Well, isn't everyone, I asked!!! If you want to stay at the Matador, great, but do yourself and everyone a favor DO NOT get sucked into the 242 E 14th Ave place. It truly is a dump and the owner is very unaccomodating. WE sucked it up to experience but really, why should any have to???? I actually have pictures of this place as well as my sister's place for comparison but do not have access to those at the moment. I'll send another review with those later so all can see I am not exaggerating.

8  Thank swcm09
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Just returned from our third stay at the Matador and every year it gets better. This year I loved the new flat screen TV"S in our unit, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Last year it was a new pool and spa and central a/c. The staff is always so friendly and ready to offer their assistance. Rooms are spacious and clean and you can't beat the location , walk out of the building and you on the beach. Next year we have to go out West for a family function but when we go back to Wildwood we will stay at the Matador

2  Thank deckerPhiladelphia
#12 of 39 in North Wildwood
Roman Holiday Motel
Roman Holiday Motel
#3 of 39 in North Wildwood

Been to Matador Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!