“It was only OK”

Ranked #40 of 41 Hotels in North Wildwood
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“It was only OK”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

The place was only ok. There were some problems when we first got there but mgmt took care of the problems. If you're just looking for a cheap place to rest your head near the beach, then why not. Our room had new beds, fridge, and microwave. There were no alarm clocks or phones in the room. You get nothing but the basics. We didn't personally get to enjoy the pool, it was not huge and was always filled with a large group of people. I'd recommend this spot to young college kids or couples who aren't looking to spend much time in their motel anyway. The place looked somewhat rundown but to their credit I do see that they are trying to make improvements to the place and I wish them well but as it is now I can only say it was OK. Not bad, not good, just OK. Not the worst motel but I probably would look to stay elsewhere before coming back here in it's current state.

Overall my family and I had a great time our first time in Wildwood. The location is great and you're just a block away from the boardwalk and Sam's Pizza Palace. You gotta try the pizza but go for lunch, at dinner there's' a line up the boardwalk.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Howell, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We just spend 3 days at this motel and loved it. It is under new management and they certainly doing everthing they can to make your stay a pleasant one. They have already put in new beds, pillows, frig and have renovated the pool. It is certainly a family resort and the new owners treat you just like family. There is a free family gathering each night and we enjoyed it all. They are in the process of painting the motel but the rooms, beds and bathroom was very clean. I certainly recomend this motel for your next vacation. They are in the process of painting the motel but the rooms, beds and bathroom was very clean.

Room Tip: For right now don't judge the book by its cover,major improvements are happening.
1 Thank PatC24
sunnydayy2011, Manager at Bird of Paradise Motel, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 July 2011

This motel is old but it is clean. They are renovating a little at a time. They had new mattresses in the room and I must say they were comfortable. For the price of the room it was not a bad stay. Management does what they can for you. My only gripe would be the parking lot due to not enough spaces and I was a bit apprehensive about moving my vehicle.

1 Thank louann53
sunnydayy2011, General Manager at Bird of Paradise Motel, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Thank You. We hope to make Bird of paradise motel Great For the Money in the coming Years. As we began this summer with limited time to make improvements, We focused on comfort with New Beds and Pillows in every room. In addition, We also reconstructed the pool with Great Success. Thus far, majority of people who have been coming here for many years love the new improvements. Further, many first time people enjoyed their stays and the great location.

Now There is always room for improvement, But we aim to get better and better over time..

Again thank you for staying with us and giving us a try:-)
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We pulled in the parking lot is small. I'm not one to even be picky about where to park my car but it's just icing on the cake. From checking in with a kid who treated us like we were 17, to the smelly comforters and stains on the walls, broken bathroom door that didn't stay closed or lock. The second morning we had no toilet paper due to 6 people staying in the room, right now at 9:39 am the office isn't open and we have no toilet paper. Were told to wear these stupid carnival type bracelets which not everyone has to wear here that we see which if break or get lost we have to pay 40 DOLLARS to replace. I can go on and on and I'm a regular guy from eastern long island. I'm not picky at all and I'm here with 5 friends/family members just to go hang out and drink and were all disgusted with this place. It's become the joke of the trip. Bottom line, don't stay here unless you want all the above and have to wait for your room and put down another 25 dollar security deposit that no one knew about until the day of check in. This is my first review I've ever written just to give you an idea of how disappointing this place is. I heard from a good friend Lollipop Motel is a good place. Good luck on your search.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Realratings1
Thank you for Your response.

1-Parking is a little tight. But we do have private parking outside the motel, So far it has been manageable. ;l-)
2- We inherited a place that has been mis-managed for several years. i believe we improved the property big time. NEW BEDS AND PILLOWS in every room. NEW POOL.. Returning customers tell us how clean the rooms are!
3- Beds Spreads.... Inherited.. All Beds spreads are Super Clean. FYI. There wes no Laundry room when we arrived. The previous management used a home washer and dryer for the entire place, which we got rid of and replaced with Brand new Dexter Commercial Washer and Dryer. So Everything is Super Clean. We reject your comment on this.
Also, we believe New Beds and Pillows were more important.. Again, Towels and Bed Spreads are Cleaned with Brand New Commercial equipment:-)
4- Some infractions may be encountered in some rooms, but we will and are fixing service and material things as we go along. for example, we just finished painting the outside ceilings!

5- As far as treating you like you were little kids. I did not get a chance to personally meet you. maybe you don't act your age? maybe you did not abide by or like some of the rules ( like wearing bracelets) or maybe you had personal issues with the people you roomed with. Maybe you don't know how to relax and have great stay? I just can't answer this one. I have no comment :-)

6- If there is anything you need or want... just ask us. And we will do our best to help you. if we did not respond to your concerns fast enough, Please accept our apologies

Thanks for your comment

Travellers are raving about these North Wildwood hotels

Monroe, New York
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The hotel is under new management and they have made very positive changes to the hotel. The service from check in to check out was very pleasant, and the hotel was very clean with new appliances, new mattresses, and the pool was also recently redone. The hotel is located a block away from the boardwalk, and this is definately a hotel I would return to time and time again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are poolside, so they are all great.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank KimChisholm79
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 August 2010

3 friends and I were despate to find a motel in Wildwood that would rent a room to us, 2out of 4 of us are under 25 (23 & 24), but we are not loud party young people, we just wanted a nice vacation. When we called to book our room we were immediately told that this was a "Family establishment" and that we couldnt be "Up all night, partying and being loud". Ok, no problem. The room was booked under my friends name for us to arrive on thursday, but she later found out she wouldnt be able to come until friday. When we called and asked the owner to switch the name, she got such an attitude we almost cancelled, but we knew we would not be able to find another place, so we just took it i stride. Upon arriving at the motel, we found the owner in the office after waiting for about 10 minutes only to be greeted by an unleashed dog (In a place that doesnt allow pets, along with 2 other dogs in a makeshift playpen in the corner), followed by a barefoot owner who had such a look of disguist on her face, as if she hated the world. She gave us our keys and very rudely told us that there was only 1 parking spot per room, to which I replied yes well we only have one car, and she snapped back at me "Well isn't your friend coming down tomorrow?" as if she just caught me in a lie. I told her my friend was taking the bus and she just said "Uh huh" like yeah whatever. When we walked into our room (#2), we immediately noticed a smell that can only be described as mold mixed with urine. The room was a disgrace, there were pieces of food in the cushions of the chair, which was stained with lord knows what. We found a pill on the floor, even if it was an asprin it just goes to show how thorough of a job the cleaning staff did for our arrival. The rooms were incredibly small and outdated, the bed frames look homemade, with both white and untreated wood piled on top of each other. The box springs on both beds had no sheet or skirt on them, and the sheets on the bed, which should be fitted sheets, were just flat sheets barely covering the mattress. The "Kitchen" was a single counter with 2 ranges (We didnt even check to see if they worked), a dorm sized refrigerator (That did not close properly, thereby rendering it pretty much useless) dishes that were corroded with dust, and silverware that was covered in rust. Our bathroom smelled like someone had urinated all over the floor, which by the way, when it got wet and we cleaned it up with a white towel, the towel turned completely black. We sprayed 2 cans of lysol throughout both rooms and the smell just would not go away. Upon inspection of the bed, we found multiple hairs and yellowish/orange stains on the sheets and pillowcases. The night of our arrival our neighbors, which were family members of the owner, were outside until about 3am with a radio, talking very loudly and they were very drunk (But we got an attitude because we were under 25). The following morning the cleaning woman knocked on our door and then tried to walk in, even though we said come back later and we had the chain on the door, she continued to try and push the door open. And then the next day a cleaning man walked straight in our room, without even knocking, and stood there for 2 minutes even after we said please come back tomorrow (He didnt speak very much english I suppose). The owner allowed her dogs to play around the pool, which is ridiculous because there are children at this place and lord only knows if these dogs had their shots, should a child be bitten by one of the 3 of them. I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER reccomend this place to my worst enemy. This was my absolute worst experience on a vacation ever, I would rather sleep on the beach than stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank ACoop729
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 12 August 2010

My friends and i took a 2 hour ride to wild wood after booking this hotel two months prier to vacation time. Not only did she book the wrong amount of rooms and kick us out, i arrived earlier then the rest of my group. As i pulled in to the parking lot and the women came out screaming at me saying "WHAT THE F DO YOU THINK YOUR DOING" i stepped out of my car and began to explain that i was checking in with in the hour and she started screaming at me yelling in my face "LIER YOUR A LIER GET OFF MY PROPERTY!!!" so i got in my car and drove away only to come back with the rest of my group awhile latter. Only to find out that we now only had 2 rooms a pose the 4 we had rented. We were now left to fend for our selves in a booked up wild wood!!!! i would NEVER EVER RECOMMEND THIS DISCUSSING EXCUSE FOR A MOTEL!!!!!!! and id also like to point out that im not the only group of person who had a mishap with rooms KrisNicole also had this problem! so be warned thanks for your time : )

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank kglow
sunnydayy2011, Manager at Bird of Paradise Motel, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Hi

Bird of Paradise is now under new management. We hope you will one day give us a try. We began our 4 year plan of changes

The First thing we are tackling is the pool interior. For a more relaxing and safer pool. We are redoing the interior of the pool with new coping, tiles and gunite resurfacing. We are also reducing the depth of the pool from 8 feet to 5 ft.

In addition, we changed 30 percent of the Beds, refrigerators, microwaves, toilets, and bathroom vanity's.

We are changing for the better. So we hope one day, you will give us another look

Bird of Paradise nj