“Worst experience EVER!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Bird of Paradise Motel
Ranked #40 of 41 Hotels in North Wildwood
“Worst experience EVER!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

First of all, I went there with my two children and from the minute we got there the rest of the guests on our floor were drinking and listening to very loud music.They were taking over the balcony and the pool area. They drank their alcohol and played there music all hours of the night and sat outside our room and danced to their music outside our room. When we got up in to go out in the morning, they were already out on the balcony drinking their alcohol again at 8:45! I went to the front desk with my concerns and she told me that these people were on vacation too and they don't know who they are getting in the rooms when renting them out! It clearly states on their home page that its a family resort dedicated to a pleasurable visit...they didn't care if my family had a pleasurable visit. I was almost in tears with this experience!! I would never take my children to such a place. Not enough parking places for everyone's cars and I never one seen a maid in our room, and it also says in the home page-daily maid service. States tranquil and relaxing vacation... This was everything but that at this motel!! I would not recommend this place to anyone!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Cammie37
Sal B, Manager at Bird of Paradise Motel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
I wanted to reach out and apologize for leaving you with a poor impression. We want to provide a relaxing environment where all our guests can enjoy their vacation on their own terms. Occasionally, some customers can take it a little too far, and in those instances we do ask that you notify one of our staff members. Your happiness is of the utmost importance to us, and if someone is being disruptive we will happily take care of the situation. That said, during the day on the beach, there is a certain amount of celebrating to be expected, so as long as the activity is not illegal -- there is little we can do. Again, I am terribly sorry if anything you encountered during your stay impacted your vacation. I hope you will give us a second chance the next time you are in Wildwood so we can show you what a stay with us should be.

Best,

John L, Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Thanks to all of the staff at the "Bird" for a wonderful "Summer of 2013" vacation. We just returned from 12 days of pure heaven in Wildwood. My husband and I just can't stop smiling when we think about all of the memories we made there.

We sincerely recommend staying at this terrific motel for both the young, and the young at heart (like us). Early every morning Miles, the "caretaker", put out delicious coffee for the guests to partake of. We then watched him dutifully clean the pool (yes it's really open till 11:00 pm), sweep the parking lot and walks in front of each room, empty the trash and ashtrays, etc. He never stopped working till well after 11 pm. One night he got up at 2:00 am (he lives at the motel) to take care of a guest's issue with some rowdy kids in a corner room. He apologized to everyone he saw the next morning. Our second day there, I told him I noticed a small leak under our kitchen sink at 5:30 pm. He was in our room repairing it at 5:33 pm.

Tamara, one of the maids we got to know, was very attentive to our needs. We always had plenty of towels, toilet paper, sheets, shampoo, soap, clean trash cans, etc. at all times. If we wanted anything extra, we had it in just a few minutes. She appeared to work very hard to earn the money to support herself and her daughter.

Kim, the office manager, in addition to providing us with a really fantastic rate for our stay, was always available to help with any issues. She also cheerfully made recommendations to anyone that had dining or activity questions.

The rooms may be a bit older than most, however for us it just adds to the motel's charm. We were in room 5; we had 2 double beds, a round table with 2 chairs (there was also a large metal table with 2 chairs on our porch, a TV that probably had over 100 channels - we stopped counting at 62, a coffee maker, a toaster, asst. dishware/pots/cups/silverware, etc. The closet by the bed was nice and large. The bathroom sink has a large storage cabinet under it, as well as a pull-out drawer that was great for all of our medications/toiletries.

The gentleman in room 6 told my husband that they too loved the "Bird", and felt management could charge a lot more than they do for such a great location - a block from the beach and boardwalk.

My husband and I travel extensively, and yes we may take a few simple items that the "Bird" and other motels don't have to make our stays more convenient - but, of ALL OF THE PLACES ACROSS THE COUNTRY WE'VE STAYED IN, WE'VE NEVER BEEN TREATED MORE RESPECTFULLY AND LIKE FAMILY, THAN WE WERE WHILE AT THE "BIRD". The owners keep making improvements from year to year. We're sure that the hospitality business is not easy for family-run places like this. We say, "give the Bird Of Paradise a chance." You'll not find a better place to sit outside your room at sunset and watch America go by.

PS: "The Bird is STILL the word!"

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms 4, 5 or 6 are literally steps from parking spaces. Super for handicapped/older gues...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank B0wbird
Sal B, Manager at Bird of Paradise Motel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Your review made my day. The staff here is like family, and when you stay with us we want to treat you like part of that family. To hear that we were able to make your stay so comfortable really means a lot, and I'll happily share your kudos with Miles, Tamara, and Kim. Thank you again for spreading the word on our motel. Hope to see you and your husband again soon.

John L, Manager
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

If you have kids, DON'T stay here!! The floors and walls are nasty!! After being in the room about five minutes, my daughter feet were completely black! The beds were horrible. The kitchen had an extension cord hanging over the sink held on by one lose nail!!

• Stayed August 2013

Travellers are raving about these North Wildwood hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Although finding a parking space was a major issue, the overall stay was ok. Location to the boardwalk was a major plus!! Friendly staff clean room pool a bonus would come back ...... If you can't make the stairs wouldn't recommend as most of the rooms require them to get there ...:/

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad we were about to take such great care of you during your stay! If parking is ever an issue, please mention it to us and we should be able to accommodate you in the lot across the street. Hope you enjoyed the boardwalk and look forward to seeing you again soon. - John L, Manager
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I'll have to be honest-reading some of the reviews spooked me into not wanting to try this motel. But took a chance anyway. Tripadvisor somehow never put our reservation thru, but Kim (the manager) was able to take care of me anyway (a relief!). Parking is a little tight, but we managed fine. We loved the pool, the room was great. Everything worked fine for us. If I had a complaint (and we really didn't) the pillows were a little flat, but after a beach/boardwalk all day, you're exhausted anyway!!! We were very happy w/ our room, and our entire stay (4 day, 3 night) We're looking forward to going again next year!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawn D
Reviews like this make my day, Dawn. We've always worked hard to be a comfortable place to crash after a long day exploring the beach, and I'm so thrilled we could be that for you. If parking is ever an issue on a future trip, please let us know and we can usually accommodate you across the street. Can't wait to see you again! - John L, Manager
Philly
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Unkempt. Bathroom sink does not drain quickly. Toilet paper rack rusty. Bathtub has only a whole to drain water. Walls dusty. Bed squeaky. Air conditioner clogged...looks like filter not cleaned regularly. On the upside, the room is big and it serves its purpose. Price is reasonable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Evanston, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

For Wildwood, this hotel is exactly what you need. My friends and I were there for the Wildwood Beach Ultimate Frisbee tournament and we shared two rooms between us. The rooms weren't especially nice, but they seemed clean and big enough for us to share. The pool was a great bonus and the hotel is in a fantastic location right by the boardwalk. Staying here was cheap and convenient and the people who worked there were very accommodating. Definitely a very solid Wildwood option.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends