“Nothing good to say”

Cuisines: American
Mahwah, New Jersey
“Nothing good to say”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This place used to be cozy, warm and have great food. Now cold, boring and bland as is the food. The bar is a depressing dark cave and the upstairs sterile. All the character has left. At least if the food was good you would overlook the rest. We sat at the bar (4pm) for an early bite and had to wait 15 minutes for the bartender to come back after she placed a couple menus in front of us. Too busy chatting with the regulars. Will not go back. Too many other good local places.

• Visited October 2013

Lebanon, New Jersey
1,135 restaurant reviews
“Good place for upscale bar food”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Lady stopped here with work colleagues. She had the veggie burger with avocado and mushrooms. She says it was almost as good as mine cooked over charcoal. Very nice atmosphere. Good bar area. Good service.

• Visited June 2013
New York City, New York
“"Average" -- not bad, not good. OK food. Decent bar crowd.”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I agree with the review above. It was just OK. Average food. Not bad, not good. I've gone there for dinner. The service is sub-par in my opinion. The staff I experienced was nice and polite, but they are just not attentive. As a matter of fact, one time, our waitress, was very nice and very polite. She just wasn't around as much as needed, and for a table of 4 for dinner that's a problem. The burgers were fair at best. I wouldn't order one again. The appetizers were good, but everyone commented they were expensive for the most part, based upon size, portion, etc. Another time, my friends dragged me their for dinner. This time we did have a waitress who seemed to have an attitude, was somewhat dismissive and in my opinion just doesn't have the temperament for the position or perhaps service industry. She was walking away from the table, almost rushing, before someone finished their request or finished speaking. She appeared to be bothered by the fact that someone wanted more water, or more butter.

That aside, there is a decent bar crowd. Bartenders are nice -- that's the highlight of the place. Good drinks. Occasionally they have a band, but the acoustics are not very good and the layout isn't favorable -- they are jammed in their and it gets cramped.

I think the "OK" food was brought down a notch by the service. Perhaps they are understaffed. I don't know. I have friends in the area and every so often someone wants to go or try it. There's not a lot of similar places, although down 202 in Mahwah, right off 17 is Mahwah Bar and Grill and the Mason Jar. I'd rank both those places far above this one.

• Visited March 2013
Warwick, New York
“It's just ok”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I've gone here a few times for lunch and it's just ok. The food is ok. The service is ok. The atmosphere is ok. I've ordered a number of different dishes and none stand out. Once I had an amazing dessert with decadent ice cream and haven't seen it on the menu since. Maybe it's a better choice for dinner.

• Visited February 2013