“PHENOMENAL!”

Ranked #17 of 39 Restaurants in Oakland
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I can't say enough about what an AWESOME job Vanessa and her crew did for our 30th High School Reunion at Portobellos. The food, the music - everything was "MOLTO BENE!" The quality and variety of the food was outstanding. I live in Vermont, but I'll be making it a point to visit Portobello every time I am back in NJ visiting with family and friends.

1  Thank patcii

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Very good aptly describes this Italian ristorante. My favorite is the Seafood del Mar with its mussels, shrimps, scallops and lobster...and delicious, savory sauce served over linguini verde. This is delicioso! There's other entrees, but it's been so long since I've ordered them that I don't feel it would be fair to comment. Service is good, parking is a bit tight, but the food is good. Other review comment on bad service, but I haven't had a problem. I rate it good...not great, but good.

3  Thank William M
Reviewed 7 October 2013

pros: a vast menu of Italian and meat dishes including 9 soups; great prices; incredible atmosphere (you feel like you are in an italian villa); a sushi menu - above average sushi.

cons: service can be hit or miss...they have high turnover of staff (and rumor has it they make their waitstaff pay customer credit card fees out of their tips) so often you are dealing with newbies which doesn't fly in a restaurant of this size and with such a large varied menu/options.

all in all it seems that if they can get the management/retention to be stronger, customers would have a better experience....
I only go here for lunch now.

1  Thank techgirlnj
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We have lived in the area for twenty years and have come to this place on and off during all this time. We have never had good service. Appetizer, Salad and Entree are delivered to the table all at the same time or too quickly you cannot enjoy the meal. This last time here one of our guests didn't get any of their order at the same time as the rest of us. The time before we had a reservation for 3 PM and they had not seated the people from 12 noon and we would have had to wait 2 hours to be seated. We will not return

1  Thank MRM1952
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Due to our brunch experience we are ruling out having the shower and rehearsal dinner at Portobello. The service was great but all of the breakfast food was cold and the desserts had seen better days. The salads and hot food were good but it was not enough to not make up for the poor showing of every single breakfast item. The waffles were not only cold, but they were tough and chewy. One of the stalls in the ladies room was stuffed full of paper and not usable. And the vase in the ladies room held a bouquet of dead flowers.

When I mentioned the cold food to the manager, he did have them put more sternos out. But the damage was done. I had invited 16 guests to Portobello today to celebrate my daughter's engagement and they all had cold breakfast and leftover desserts. I was embarrassed, to say the least. It is quite obvious that Portobello lacks a management staff that really cares about and takes pride in the business. I get the message loud and clear and will take my business elsewhere.

1  Thank Janis C