“Unbeatable lunch”

Ranked #21 of 39 Restaurants in Oakland
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have eaten at Potobellos for lunch, dinner and service club meetings. The food has always been terrific. You can not go wrong with their lunch specials for $8.95. There is a fairly large selection of lunches to chose from. They all come with warm bread and olive oil for dipping and a nice salad. It is my go to place for a great lunch at a great price. I live in town so I do go there often and have never been disappointed.

1  Thank 117Bob

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Dinners were good, not great; but the prices reflect quality I'd expect from much better food. The wine (by the glass) had the bottom residue which typically shouldn't happen. The worst part was while the waitress was very nice our food came out literally seconds after our salad arrived. When you have hot food waiting you push your salad aside and needless to say not one of the 8-people in our party went back to it. It was really just a waste and not what I would have expected there. Really not much of an apology either.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Portobello's is the ultimate in dining.Great food expertly cooked and served in a truly authentic Italian setting...none better

4  Thank 651Seniors
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The restaurant is beautiful and they have music at times. The appetizers and deserts are great but stick to pasta or sushi for your main course. I had the sea bass and I wasn't impressed...lacked flavor and the broccoli rabe was one big piece. Order the "oh my god" sushi role...it's not on the menu but they will make it for you and it's delicious. I would go again and try another entree.

1  Thank sunnydays007
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Family dinner for 11 last night. We like Italian and had always wanted to try this place. On arrival I was psyched because it looked so busy I assumed it must be good. The place is beautiful. Very well decorated. Other than that I can not say much positive.

To seat our group they had to put some rounds together with some squares which made for an unusual seating arrangement. The place is also very, very noisy which I attribute to the acoustics. Like I said it is beautiful but they should get some stuff in there to absorb sound.

The service was very slow. 20 Minutes or so and we had not even given a drink order so we finally had to actually get up and grab a waitress. She ended up being our waitress for the night and was only marginal. She was clearly not a very experienced waitress which I would have expected for a higher class place, but she was just not friendly or engaging. She had way too many large tables. 3 Hours+ for dinner for 11 and that was not due to us chatting, it was all service.

Many parts of our orders were wrong. I know some of this was the kitchen staff as she definately had one entree written down right that was brought out incorrect. One appetizer never received. Asked for blue cheeses dressing on salad, got Italian. That kind of stuff happened all night.

The food was ok, Portions were large so in that regard good value for the price. I really liked their meatballs, but they drown their entrees in so much marinara sauce that you can't really tell what it is supposed to taste like. The cheesecake was very good.

Something I have never seen is that when the waitress returned with the final copy to sign after paying she did not bring the credit card back to the table. A manager had to be asked to go find it in the kitchen!

Not the worst I have ever seen but certainly did not live up to expectations.