“Diner food plus”

Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Oakland
Oakland, New Jersey
“Diner food plus”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

The lunch and dinner specials are always great, and the Oakland Diner makes one of the best burgers (and Reuben's!) anywhere. Service is fast and attentive, and Harry, the owner, makes dining here a pleasant and satisfying experience. The kitschy painting and decorating, both inside and out, add a comfortable, retro touch.

Visited February 2014

Marco Island, Florida
“wrong picture and not a good expierience”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

That picture is not the Oakland diner. The real place looks like it was painted by a bunch of freaks on crack. Stopped in to meet with my tax CPA (and my former HS student) about my 2013 returns. we didn’t eat much, just 2 coffees, 2 soups. One matzo ball, one chicken noodle. The chicken noodle tasted like it came right out of the can, warm yes, but not hot.

Now, I get it….it’s 3.30 on a quiet Wednesday afternoon, but damn it, stop with the vacuum cleaner as we are trying to eat and chat. Not only a plain old canister variety, but one that is powered by an engine off a 747. Loud beyond belief. I read the other TA family reviews and I respect their positive opinions. We had a terrible experience and I doubt I’d ever go back to get it corrected. Bye bye Oakland diner!

• Visited January 2014
Yorktown Heights
“Very Enjoyable Diner!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I have been working in Oakland for the past 15 years and haven't been to the Oakland Dinner for the past five. What a mistake! While traveling home to NY state late Saturday night we were looking for a place to get a late night bite. As we were nearing Oakland I was hoping to find an open spot. The Oakland Diner was still open and the staff at almost 12:30 am couldn't have been more pleasant. The Diner was clean and inviting with funky painted murals on the walls and a 50's sort of motif. This late I was hoping for anything edible. What I received was fantastic! The clam chowder was perfect (and hot the way I love it) home made with big chunks of fresh clams and potatoes. We ordered burger platters and cheese steaks. Burgers are made fresh twice a day and you can tell. Cooked to perfection with all the fixings and excellent fries. The cheese steak was very authentic and even at that late an hour the coffee fresh! The menu looks interesting and the prices seemed in line with others in the area.
Sometimes a restaurant not only exceeds expectations but you walk out and say to yourself "I need to eat hear again!". I need to eat here again, and soon!

• Visited September 2013
West Milford, New Jersey
“great diner”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Been going here for years...great diner and great service. The prices have gotten out of control so we dont go there as often. But the food is very good.

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“Very good diner -- one of the best in the area!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

While I am not a big diner fan, sometimes they are just what you need, want, etc. I think most diners are fair at best, typical and kind of ordinary.

This is a very good diner -- I've had all three meals here -- and it's always very good. I highly recommend this diner. If you are in the area and need a diner, go out of your way, travel farther, and go here.

High quality food and ingredients, very good preparation and execution, very good service, and more -- and it all leads to a very good meal. This is one of the best diners in the area, and I've been to many/most. This one is one of the top ones.

• Visited August 2013