“Food is average, atmosphere and staff leave much to be desired.”
Review of Cafe L' Amore

Cafe L' Amore
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
New Jersey
“Food is average, atmosphere and staff leave much to be desired.”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I'd never tried this place so I figured we'd give it a shot for a late dinner on a Wednesday. The place looks a bit run down from the outside and is half a pizzeria but an older man who must have been the owner opened the door for us and greeted us warmly upon entry (which is through the pizzeria). That was a nice start.

However, as soon as we were seated, we noticed the kiss of death, our #1 pet peeve in a restaurant: paper covering the tables. UGH. If you can't be bothered to wash linens to have an elegant atmosphere, I can't be bothered to eat at your establishment. That is so trashy to me.

Looking over the menu, we noticed an entree that came with "mozarella and ptarmigan cheese." PTARMIGAN CHEESE. Haha, we almost died laughing. How could no one catch an error like that?

The bread was warm and came with warm butter so that was nice. There was no olive oil available for the bread though, which for me is another red flag that you're not in a great place. The salad we got for an appetizer was over-priced and not very good; the artichokes were sour and it had some odd tubular vegetable that hadn't been mentioned in the description and the "sun-dried tomatoes" were instead marinated tomatoes that were not good. My pasta dish was priced fine at $15 but was very simplistic and boring; my husband's eggplant parm over spaghetti looked extremely unappetizing (no presentation! Just thrown on the plate haphazardly.) Apparently, he enjoyed it though. The portions were large; we took a lot of food home. We didn't have dessert.

The place seems to attract lower class people. An obese woman in a tank top at the next table was shout-talking the entire time, regaling her friends with tales of her therapy session, abortion, unemployed boyfriend, and "smoking crack pipes." Lovely dinner conversation. There were other frightening, crass individuals around also.

The wait staff looked like they'd rather be anywhere other than there. They weren't unpleasant, but clearly tired and unhappy. They were also very old.

Eh. Wouldn't eat there again.

• Visited October 2013

Fair Lawn, New Jersey
“Nicest rip mall restaurant”
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

This was our first time eating here upon ur cousin's recommendation. It is a BYOB and it has a nice menu with daily specials. I had the blackened Mahi-Mahi which was cooed to perfection. My wide ordered the
Short Rib special and she loved it. Disappointing that they didn't have home made desserts, but then again not too many places do in our days. The service staff was very attentive and courteous. The only disappointment of the night was unfortunately in the beginning of the night during our not so welcoming welcome by the hostess. She was not professional , had no manners and was rough around the edges.

• Visited October 2013
nyc
“excellent meal”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Had dinner there with some friends who live nearby.Although they don't accept reservations,only had to wait about 10 minutes for a table on a busy Sat. night. Food was very good,I had the sole francaise, 2 good sized pieces of fish accompanied by fresh vegetables and potatoes.Very tasty.The others in my group ordered a cavatelli special,chicken marsala and sole oreganate,all prepared very well, although the sole was slightly burnt on top. The room was a bit noisy,but tolerable.One nice feature is that the restaurant allows BYOB and we brought a delicious bottle of 2008 Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon,Alexander Valley to have with dinner.Would go back again as the menu is rather extensive,with lots of good choices.

• Visited September 2013
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
“This place is great for lunch”
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

I've been to this place a few times and it is very good. Prices are good and so is the food. I have only been for lunch and it is usually not that busy so service was not an issue.

Haven't been for dinner but maybe I will try one day.

• Visited September 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

With the great reviews that this restaurant received online, we were expecting a good dinner at a fairly priced italian BYO. However, when we arrived, the hostess was so disorganized and the service was terrible. A couple arrived after me and my boyfriend, without a reservation, and our table was given to them, prolonging our wait. Once we were finally seated, they opened our wine and the bottle was ruined from the amount of cork in the bottle. To top it off, dinner was terrible. The veal chop, at $30+, was fatty and deep fried and my seafood pasta dish tasted like it was from a can. We have never walked away from a restaurant so disappointed.

• Visited June 2013