“Great local BOYB place”

Cafe L' Amore
Ranked #2 of 37 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
NJ
“Great local BOYB place”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We came to Cafe L'Amore to meet with friends or just for a family dinner. The food is always great, the atmosphere is cozy and friendly.
The important thing to know is that there is a valet parking – just hand you keys to the gay at the door.
I would highly recommend the place, it’s hard not to enjoy it.

• Visited January 2014

Morris County, NJ
“Great pizza and solid Italian at reasonable prices”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The parking at this BYOB Italian is a major pain, yet this place is consistently packed and has been since it opened nearly 20 years ago. There are reasons for its popularity and those are outstanding pizza, solid food and reasonable prices.

My wife and I lived literally around the corner from Cafe L'Amore at the time it opened. We were delighted to have excellent pizza and reasonable, quality Italian food within walking distance. The place started out as a pizzeria with a tiny restaurant in the corner with perhaps 6 tables and has expanded at least twice since then. We moved away after about a year, but have been coming back regularly ever since even though we live several towns away.

Most of the complaints I've seen about Cafe L'Amore revolve around the the service. It can be slow at peak times and the servers generally are not the cheerful, "Chatty Cathy" types you encounter at so many casual places (a type that I actually find annoying). They can be brusque but I usually find them to be efficient. Having eaten here literally over a hundred times, I can count the times when we had truly poor service on one hand with a finger left over.

Among my favorite dishes are the Fusilli di Pomodoro, Cappelinni L'Amore, Pollo alla Boscaiola and Involtini di Pollo. My wife loves the veal dishes here. And of course there is the pizza. Though this is a 25 mile round trip from our home, we drive past many other pizza establishments when we're in the mood for a pizza.

Cafe L'Amore is approaching its 20th anniversay and in an age when most restaurants don't make it a year and even the many of the best don't make it past 5 or 10 years, that says something.

• Visited January 2014
Oakland, New Jersey
“Best BYOB in Oakland”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Great food and service, bring your own bottle of wine and enjoy ! Sat next to Brad Garret from Everybody Loves Raymond one time. Cozy place with big portions.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank mhramius
Oakland, New Jersey
“Excellent food every time”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We have eaten here many times and always have had an excellent experience. We have never had a dish we didnt enjoy!

• Visited February 2014
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
“Excellent food and service, but the kitchen often misinterprets the waiters' instructions”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We find the food and service at L'Amore to be among the best in Bergen County. But the kitchen frequently gets the orders wrong on the small details. For example when I asked for extra onions on the salad I received none. Not a problem since the wait staff happily brought extra onions immediately. But often when my wife requests very light on the garlic in say a pasta dish, she often gets an immense amount of garlic. The first time this happened we thought it was a joke, but the waiter confirmed with the kitchen that is was an error. And this happens often. The kitchen just needs to read the orders more carefully. And while on the subject of garlic, they make the best marinara sauce around. But even for me, a garlic lover, they are far too generous in their use of garlic. Mark and Michael - please cut back on the garlic. Excessive garlic is what often separates a local pizzeria joint from a fine Italian restaurant.

• Visited October 2013