“Great staff, delicious breakfasts, great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Scarborough Inn

Scarborough Inn
Ranked #5 of 20 Ocean City B&B and Inns
Westville, New Jersey
“Great staff, delicious breakfasts, great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We first came to the Scarborough Inn to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and had such a nice time that we come every year on our anniversary. We just stayed for our fourth year in a row and will continue to choose this Inn. The staff are very nice and friendly making sure we have a comfortable stay. Breakfasts are awesome, also the afternoon treats we always enjoy. They have a great wrap around porch to relax on. Our room is always very clean and well taken care of during our stay. We look forward to many more years of visiting this Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
sea_jayOCNJ, Owner at Scarborough Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
What a glowing review! The Scarborough Inn family and staff is delighted to be part of your annual Anniversary celebration. We never take positive reviews for granted, but are pleased and proud of your support and affirmation.

We appreciate that you describe the breakfasts as "awesome" as our cook makes everything fresh daily using seasonal ingredients. Linda always makes the plates look so appealing, too, and was thrilled that you commented so positively on the food.

Thank you very much!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

I hoped for a romantic weekend with a beautiful breakfast and surroundings as I frequently stay at bed and breakfasts. Our room was well appointed but the ac in window unit left a lot to be desired. It was installed without a screen and allowed Mosquitos to enter through air vents. I awoke with welts from bites on arms and legs. When I mentioned to the front desk they did not want to see " my injuries". It was a cold way to handle a difficult situation.
Breakfast is one choice, their choice or cold cereal. This is not normal for a $200 a night b n b.
Breakfast was a prefab egg dish baked in a pan..not the veggie frittata promised. Fruit was watery and tasteless.Wait staff were non English speaking exchange students from Turkey who did not even know how to pronounce the dishes. Snacks at 4 pm included chips and salsa from a jar and a weird concoction of pretzels Carmel and chocolate in a bar shape. The day before carrots and celery and salad dressing. Just very odd is my best description.
I did leave comments and hope they use these to improve the experience for other clients. I will not be back.

I left early the final day and did receive an email that the hotel would look into this

Room Tip: I should have ordered a mattress topper as it was a very hard mattress.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M M
sea_jayOCNJ, Owner at Scarborough Inn, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
We appreciate input from guests. We have been providing Comment Cards – long before the existence of online reviews. Staff members also make an effort to speak with guests directly as to their comfort/ needs and are available until 9PM or 10PM nightly. We especially appreciate the opportunity to address guests’ requests while they are visiting. Unfortunately, this guest provided input upon departure via a Comment Card; email (both the owner and our receptionist responded); and then followed up with this review.

It is clear that her comments need clarification and/or correction in some cases.

REQUESTS: 1) This guest asked that the sheets be changed daily. We do not do this regularly as we practice green industry standards, but complied. 2) On the second morning, she requested a different breakfast as her husband “did not like French toast” & did not want the available options (see below). We provided scrambled eggs (in this review she complains about repeated egg entrees).

BREAKFAST: We provide a different hot entrée daily, plus sides; a menu is posted in advance. If guests do not care for the hot entrée, we offer a choice of cold cereals, hot oatmeal, or Greek yogurt. Breakfast also includes a choice of juice, fresh fruit, coffee or tea, and sides and/or a pastry or perhaps a cheese and fruit course – depending on the entrée of the day.

We use fresh, seasonal ingredients – and local fruit and vegetables whenever available at the Farmer’s Market. Our cook makes the entrees herself on a daily basis – we NEVER use “frozen” eggs or commercially prepared entrees. For example, a Turkey Egg Stack (aka Napoleon) typically includes a square of homemade herb frittata, topped with grilled, smoked turkey plus steamed, organic spinach with cheddar cheese on top. In between egg entrees, we offer several varieties of French toast, pancakes, etc.

AFTERNOON REFRESHMENTS: Beginning at 4PM daily, we offer Afternoon Refreshments including a “sweet” and a “savory” selection. This is a casual snack appropriate to our island beach location – not a more formal afternoon “tea.” Options change daily. A “savory” option might include chips and salsa or fresh vegetable crudité with dip – sometimes there is cheese, fruit, and crackers. The “sweet” mentioned was a bar cookie with chocolate and pretzel pieces on top drizzled with caramel – it’s very popular with many guests. We also serve Mocha Brownies, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Bread Pudding, etc.

Complete details about what is offered for Breakfast and what constitutes Afternoon Refreshments is provided in the confirmation letter guests receive. Information is also available on our website, in social media, and from staff who can address specific questions by telephone or email, if desired.

RATE: This guest connects dissatisfaction with the food to the room rate. Her visit was during high season in a room she describes as “clean…well decorated.” All rooms have a wide variety of amenities and conveniences quite different from other types of accommodations – these are listed on the website in detail – and there are plentiful pictures, as well. We also enjoy an excellent location on the island. In other words, we think our guests receive great value – whenever they visit. However, less expensive rooms are available during Shoulder Season, or by utilizing AAA or Military discounts, or by selecting a Special or Package from our website, or by choosing a smaller room.

DEPARTURE: The guest reported that mosquitoes invaded her room the final night and that the receptionist did not want to see her “injuries” – describing this as a “cold way” to respond to a “difficult situation.” As you know, our receptionist clarified her response an email as follows:

“My sincere apology if my response disturbed you when you wanted to
show me your mosquito bites. My response was due to the fact that I totally believed you and did not require proof. I was sincerely concerned about your report and expressed that to you.”

Upon investigation, I’m happy to report that no other guests have complained about mosquitoes in any guest rooms. In fact, AC units are designed to prevent the entry of pests. It is my understanding that additional screening cannot be placed on the units because it might cause overheating and be a serious hazard. A local historian explained to us that historic buildings, like ours, were build above street level to catch available breezes and to help escape mosquitoes. I don’t know if that is true, but it is an interesting story! In any case, I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed.

AIR CONDITIONING: We find that individually controlled AC has many advantages. It allows us to provide air conditioning without unsightly ductwork throughout our historic building. Guests can select the temperature for themselves, as there are very different opinions about what is comfortable. In addition, should one unit fail, it is easily and quickly replaced without inconveniencing everyone in the building as would happen with a central unit. (We keep several units on hand for this purpose.) Finally, it is a green option since we don’t use energy in unoccupied guest rooms.

STAFF: This guest lists her hometown as New York City, NY, so I’m surprised that she included negative comments about our international staff members inability to “even pronounce the dishes” in other communication to us about breakfast. These university students actually represent four nations (not just Turkey) and they speak English, but not proficiently in some cases. Their presence here is (hopefully) a positive experience for them and it is an enormous help for us as they are available when American students have returned to college beginning in mid-August. We participate in the work/ exchange program that brings these young adults to our inn every year. I often remark to the students that their English is so much better than my attempts would be to speak their language. I imagine my “pronunciation” would frequently be inadequate were I to visit their homeland.

SPECIAL OCCASION: Finally, this guest expressed dissatisfaction in one communication about their anniversary not being acknowledged. Upon checking, I discovered a note about this occasion in the reservation notes. Somehow that message failed to get to the kitchen and I am so sorry about that omission. I wish we had been given a gentle reminder about this special occasion while these guests were visiting. Should we need a reminder? Of course not; but it would have given us an opportunity to rectify the situation. Typically, our cook hand dips fresh strawberries in chocolate and a plate of these is placed in the guest’s room with a personalized card offering a discount on a future stay. Since this woman has declared that she “will not be back” I can only offer my sincere apology for this oversight.
Onley, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

This is a beautiful, homey, quiet, smoothly-run bed and breakfast a couple of blocks from the beach. Everyone we have met there has been friendly - and most of the guests say that this has been their hotel of choice for years. My friends and I have stayed at a number of places during our annual Ocean City visits, but once we found this spot, we stopped looking for anything else. There is a lovely porch with rocking chairs, great breakfasts, goodies in the afternoon - really anything you could want in a b & b.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ann W
Thank you so much for posting this wonderful review. As a family business, it is our goal to please all our guests and we are very appreciative that you took the time to let us know that we succeeded with you. A majority of our guests are "repeats" - thanks for being among them.
Red Lion, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Having never stayed at a bed and breakfast before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. So after researching b&b's online, The Scarborough Inn had great reviews and seemed to be centrally located. Now I am a person who reads reviews with "a grain of salt", in that I want to form my own opinions about a place and not have to rely on someone else's viewpoint. I am writing this to tell you that I have formed my own opinion of this place, and the word "fantastic" does not do the Inn justice. It is only a short walk from the Inn to the beach, and a short walk to downtown and Ocean City's quaint little shops. Having not been in Ocean City for 40 years, Gus recommended a few different places to eat, and they were fantastic. The staff was very courteous and friendly, and the service was second to none. Our air conditioner actually went bad one day, and within an hour they had another unit installed and running (It was in the 90's outside when we stayed there). I was also impressed that it was very, very quiet at all times at the Inn. The afternoon snack was a very nice touch. Gus, the owner, and all of his desk staff were very accomodating and helpful whenever we had any questions about anything. If you are looking for a great place to stay, look no further. The Scarborough Inn is the place for you!

Room Tip: We stayed at the Sherwood Suite and loved everything about it!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pamela V
sea_jayOCNJ, Owner at Scarborough Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
We are so proud that you selected the Scarborough Inn for your very first B&B experience & thrilled that you describe your experience as "fantastic" - thank you so much on behalf of our family and staff!

You are right to form your own opinion; staying at a B&B is always a unique experience - quite different from what you find in chain hotels/ motels. Thank you for sharing specific examples of what you found pleasing and enjoyable about your visit. That information helps us continue to improve and will assist other travelers as well.

I will post your comments for our staff, too. Thank you again!
Hatfield, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

My daughter and I had a lovely time at the Scarbough Inn. Breakfast was very tastey. The room was comfortable. the bathroom was very small but served its purpose. The owners and staff were very pleasant and accomidating. We will return again. Thank you for a very relaxing stay!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

sea_jayOCNJ, Owner at Scarborough Inn, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Scarborough Inn for your Ocean City, NJ vacation getaway. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time at our B&B, that you took the time to write this lovely review, and especially, that you plan on returning!

We look forward to welcoming your return. Thank you again.
Delmar, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the Scarborough Inn - what a great place! Close to the beach - walking is no problem even with beach "stuff" in tow. The breakfasts were delicious and the afternoon snack was great! The whole place is very tastefully decorated and super clean. We got great local eatery advice from Vicky at the front desk - she recommended The Hula Grill on the boardwalk and also Jon & Pattys on Asbury. Both fabulous. The Innkeepers even went out of their way to deliver some special Blueberry Buckle cake to our room b/c I had commented on a Facebook post about how delicious it looked a few weeks before we travelled! Now, thats the special, personal touch you'll get at the Scarborough Inn.

Room Tip: Oh-splurge on a room with a "regular" bathroom rather than diminutive if you or anyone you...
sea_jayOCNJ, Owner at Scarborough Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
We all appreciate your enthusiastic comments about the Scarborough Inn. I will make sure that Linda (cook) and Vicki know how much you appreciated their efforts. Thanks for mentioning the Blueberry Buckle, too, we serve it when New Jersey blueberries are in season. It's a real pleasure to surprise and delight our guests! And it is a great delight for us to hear from happy guests - thank you so much for your very lovely review!
Hbg PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I recently stayed at The Scarborough with my two children and son-in-law. This was the first time I vacationed with my children in a long time, so it meant a lot to me to select just the 'right' place~~ Having done my research on B&B's in OCNJ, including speaking with the owner, Gus, several months prior, I felt very confident in my selection. Little did I know just what a great experience it was to be~~

Everything from check-in through check-out four days later was stellar! Front desk staff was always welcoming and kind...Made us feel as though we were in a 'home away from home' (without all the work, of course!). Wait staff in the dinining room, who also serve as housekeeping staff, were quite pleasant, as well.

I would start off each day on the sprawling and comfortable front porch while my kids would remain in bed until breakfast. I thoroughly enjoyed this quiet time and was a great oppty for self-care, etc. Breakfast was truly wonderful each day.....Just the 'right' amount of food, and always 'on the mark' re taste/flavor~

After the beach each day, we would take advantage of the 'light snacks' placed in the kitchen, including cold iced tea and water....very much appreciated after such a 'hard day at the beach' lol~

We would end each day on the special third floor room dedicated to a computer, fridge, hot beverages, and game tables. We would play games until midnight, and loved ending our day in such a nice setting!

Perhaps the best indication of how great the place is - is that I elected to take my 17-year-old son, and 24-year-old daughter and same aged son-in-law....all of which raved about the place~

Additionally, I had a special request one day which warranted the front desk staff to do some digging and phone calls....Not only did they 'meet' my request, but I was 'delighted' in what and how they accommodated me~ Restaurant recommendations were also 'right on track' and much appreciated, as it had been 'decades' since I stayed in OCNJ for more than a day.

Hats off to Gus and his wonderful team of superb hospitality!!!

PS...Don't get frustrated by the limited English language of the Eastern European wait staff....It is all part of the experience, and they are to be commended for 'giving their best attempts to serve!' They were excellent at what they did for us~~~

Room Tip: Great 'family suites' with shared bath for those traveling with kids or couples wanting to s...
sea_jayOCNJ, Owner at Scarborough Inn, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
Our family members and the entire staff are grateful for your wonderful review of the Scarborough Inn! Thank you for taking the time to include so many specific details, too. We appreciate knowing that everyone in your party enjoyed themselves and that you had an opportunity for personal time as well as enjoyable family time, too.

Our international staff members are fine young university students but they sometimes struggle with English or with unfamiliar customs, so thank you for your patience and appreciation of their efforts. We think it is a valuable program - for all of us!

Sounds like you returned home rested and relaxed after your stay in Ocean City; that is so gratifying. We all look forward to welcoming your return. Thank you again so very much.