“Great weekend getaway”
Review of Scarborough Inn

Scarborough Inn
Ranked #4 of 20 Ocean City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Thank you again Scarborough Inn for a fantastic weekend in OCNJ. Everything from the room to breakfast, the outdoor shower and rocking chairs on the front porch was fantastic! You really do bring staying at a B&B to another level. Every breakfast we've had at your Inn has been divine (and I say this as a foodie who has high standards!). Jonathan remembers coming to the Scarborough as a child and it holds a special place in his heart. He introduced it to me on our engagement weekend (10-6-12) and we just couldn't wait to come back and see you all again. I cant wait till we can bring our children here to enjoy the Inn as much as we do someday! Thanks again for another fantastic visit. As always the staff were beyond accommodating (and flexible with my last minute reservation!) Can't wait to see you again soon!

Room Tip: Chelsea Suite is spacious and comfortable!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teale M
There are newer reviews for Scarborough Inn

Reviewed 22 June 2013

First of all, staying at the Inn was a wonderful experience. I travel around the world, and this intimate Inn is first rate. Great customer service, nice location, and a clean and comfortable room. Back to customer service, I left my garment bag in my room, and left my key at the reception area before 6:00 a.m., having to catch an early flight. Thus, I had no way to get back in and fetch my clothes. I wrote a note requesting that my clothes be mailed to me C.O.D. I received a voice mail message that they were "in the mail" via UPS. I sent a check to cover the costs, but the fact that someone would front the money, with no guarantee of reimbursement, to me was above and beyond the call of duty. My clothes arrived with no problem, and I am most grateful. A great experience turned out even greater, thanks to fabulous customer care.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a three night stay at the Scarborough Inn down in Ocean City N.J.After reading so many reviews of nightmare experiences I can safely say that the Scarborough inn is first rate in our book. Gus and his wife are hands on owners who make sure that the inn is first rate in all areas. It is only a five minute walk to the boardwalk and beach,near eating places and shopping. The staff is always helpful and smiling ready to help and the free parking in a town with tight parking and meters everywhere is a god send. Our room number 12 Sindia named after the ship that sank off the local beach was excellence, cozy but clean well kept and housekeeping was perfect,in fact there was a knock at nine O'clock in the morning to clean the room.My wife said the bed was so comfortable she wanted to take home the mattress! There is a computer for the guess to use plus games, books and cd's and DVD's. This is our second stay at the Inn and it won't be our last. Any issues would be just nick-picking maybe a bowl of yogurt in the dining room in the AM .See you next year.

Room Tip: The rooms on the North side overlook the parking lot and thus are further away than the south side r...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We have stayed at the Scarborough Inn, and all I can say is this place has a rating of beyond
excellent being staff, housekeeping, dietary cleanliness, courteous etc. This place has it all
without a doubt. Good luck to you Gus, We had a great vacation

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2013

No one can call this place anything less than 3 stars. The reason I will not stay there again this summer is b/c last summer, our 4th in a row, we had a very unpleasant experience in which we recommended 20 friends and family to the Scarborough -- in the years prior, we had brought in 10 or so, but last year we convinced everyone how great this place was and they came. Apparently, this overwhlemed the staff, esp. since there were lots of little ones in the "group" (I use the term loosely b/c we weren't organized). More than one of us (including us) were approached by either Gus or other staff to ascertain that we were legitimately staying at the Inn as paid guests. It was explained, during these uneasy confrontations, that the "numbers" weren't adding up (this is b/c they were running out of breakfast). Ultimately, my group was "cleared" and we were told that it was another guest who had not accurately represented their numbers on check-in. However, that explanation came after I had a sit-down with Gus at which I explained how demeaning and uncomfortable it was to be accused of lying anytime, but esp. during one's summer vacation. I explained to Gus everything I've written above about the numbers of people who came to his Inn on our say so over the last 4 years (about 50 total) and I also explained how the experience of being pulled aside and asked if we were gaming the system had ruined the experience. Gus is a very nice, politic guy -- he was never mean, but his apology was a "sorry if you felt that way" type of apology. Given the extent of the insult (the type and number of people who were queried), some other gesture had to have been made in order to keep our business. This year, we decided to stay elsewhere b/c we feel so horrible still about that humiliating experience...and we'll be followed by about 20 others. Anyhoo, the take away for the traveler is this: big groups with lots of kids do overwhelm this place, which is still, after all, an Inn (not a hotel). Everyone else should stay here happlily b/c it's a good place. But, if you're a group of lets say more than 10 who all would like to stay together, you may rock their world to the point that you will be "spoken to" -- even if what you're being confronted about is innaccurate. And, since they make so few mistakes, when they make one that big, they're not very good at appropriate aplogies. In the end, this is a place wanting to be a quaint Inn -- there's a tipping point where too many kids and friends can alter that model. If you're over 10 with young kids, find a good clean motel near or on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sullybeche
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We always enjoy staying at the Scarborough Inn. The staff is wonderful, always so friendly and helpful. Our room is spotless and always so comfortable. The breakfasts are the best, each day of our stay it's something different but always delicious. It's a very relaxing place to sit on their wrap around porch on the rocking chairs and enjoy the afternoon tea and treats, which are always delicious. Perfect location near the beach and boardwalk. This is our fifth year of staying there and look forward to many, many more.

Room Tip: Our favorite is Room #5 Sweet Thymes, it's on the main floor, we also stayed in #3 which is on t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
sea_jayOCNJ, Owner at Scarborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Candy, we greatly appreciate your enthusiastic and very positive review of the Scarborough Inn. We all are honored to be your "favorite B&B" - thank you and thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It is wonderful reviews like yours that have helped us be recognized with Tripadvisor's CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE 2013. :)

Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was my second stay at the Inn. It is the perfect location (3 blocks to the beach/boardwalk).
The room was sufficient, and the breakfast was tasty. An added bonus is the afternoon "treat" of tea, coffee, cheese, crackers and parfaits!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

We appreciate the title, "Ideal" as our daily goal is for guests to feel comfortable, welcome, and relaxed in the homey atmosphere of the Scarborough Inn. Our location, just 1 1/2 blocks to the beach, boardwalk, and also close to restaurants, shopping, dining, and recreation park - make our B&B a wonderful choice in Ocean City, NJ.