“Cheap Room, Great View, Awesome Location!”

Homestead Beach Hotel
Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 18 June 2011

My fiancée and I stayed a weekend in room 607 of the Homestead Beach Hotel in June 2011 and had a wonderful visit. In fact, we’ve already made plans to return July 4 weekend. The room was clean and cheap, and the location was amazing! Room 607 had just been renovated. The bathroom, although small, had all new tile and a cute little sink; the fully stocked kitchenette (half-size refrigerator/freezer, 2-burner electric stove, sink, all new cabinets, coffee maker, toaster, microwave oven, plates, silverware) had a facelift too; plus the entire unit had a fresh coat of paint. The room was small and cozy, but it was just right for the two of us, with a comfortable full-size bed, old fashioned dresser with mirror, a wall-mounted TV with a "hidden" DVD player built in to its side, air conditioner, ceiling fan, and a cute little breakfast nook with a view of the famous Ocean City boardwalk and the Atlantic Ocean less than a block away. We could look out the window and see the Music Pier! The things we liked best about room 607 though, were the two FREE beach tags that we found hanging in the closet (beach tags are required June through September and cost $5 daily or $10 weekly), so that saved us $20 right there. We also liked that we could walk to the boardwalk and the beach. There’s a great breeze coming off the ocean, and we were so close to the beach that we had to sweep away the sand that blew through the open window at night (we took out the window-unit air conditioner because the weather was so nice). Of course, we realized that the units at the Homestead Beach Hotel are all privately owned, and not all of the units have been renovated as nicely as room 607. My advice is that you ask to see the room before renting it. In general though, the rooms are nicer the higher up you go, with rooms on the 5th and 6th floors being the nicest.

Having said all that, all is not perfect in paradise. The rooms are old European style, and that means small. Two people are comfortable, but no more than that. Parking is an issue. There is no free parking, and it costs anywhere from $15 to $25 per day to park in the adjacent lot. A better idea is to drive a block or two away and find a free parking spot on the street, and then leave your car there. Honestly, everything is within walking distance – shopping, restaurants, grocery store, boardwalk, beach - so there was no need for the car after we unloaded our luggage. Speaking of restaurants, we found a great little breakfast/lunch place called The Varsity just a block or so away on 8th Street. It’s my new favorite breakfast spot in Ocean City, New Jersey! In addition to parking, the hotel has the world’s oldest and smallest elevator. Two people barely fit inside it. It does seem reliable though, so I learned to trust it (or walk up 5 flights of stairs). We were pleasantly surprised to find that room 607 came with towels and bedding (not all the rooms do!), but there were no beach towels. We came prepared, so this wasn’t an issue for us. Lastly, there is no maid service. So be prepared to clean up your own mess, just as if you were renting an efficiency apartment, which is basically what you’re doing. What maid service there is exists just to clean the common areas and clean the room/change linens between rentals. So if you realize that you’re not staying at (or paying for) a full-service hotel, then you won’t be disappointed.

In summary, the room is cozy, but perfect for just 2 people. Room 607 had just been renovated, and it has a great view of the boardwalk and the ocean. And the location is right in the heart of Ocean City – walking distance to… everything!

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors with beach views are best!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RedWingJoe
There are newer reviews for Homestead Beach Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2010

Stayed several nights with no complaints. The Hotel is situated feet from the boardwalk and close to resturants. Room was inexpensive, clean and comfortable with a view of the ocean. What more could you ask?

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank jrchri
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I read some of the other reviews, and was a little nervous. My wife and I were heading down to the Jersey Shore to relax and walk the boards. I was in contact with one of the private owners of a unit in the Homestead (This is how this hotel operates - each room is individually owned). The price was really low, so I was extra nervous. He met us at the hotel and gave us keys after we saw the room. The room was extremely nice. It was about the size of an average hotel room. The bathroom was a little small, but very nice and worked for us just fine. We had a cooktop stove, microwave, cable TV, in-room A/C, fridge and a table for eating. I found the whole place pleasant and relaxing. I did not talk to any of the hotel staff, but my wife did and she said they were pleasant and helpful. Parking was close but I had to pay ($15.00/24hours), but that is really the center of it all for OC so parking is always a hassle. I will stay in contact with this owner and rent again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wafu4221
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Reading these descriptions I can tell you that the people didn't bother to do their homework. If you check the website, the place isn't trying to hide anything. It's a condotel not a hotel, its not pretending to be one. There is no maid service. You are renting a room for your stay. That being said, I was very happy because I knew what I was getting into. I had brought sheets and towels not knowing exactly what to expect. Our room was immaculately clean with plenty of towels and sheets on the futon. We had a sink, fridge, microwave and two burners, a table by the windows, a flat screen tv with cable and an air conditioner. The bathroom needed a paint job but was again clean and in working order. Mike at the front desk is awesome. He was genuinely concerned if we were happy with the room when we arrived and remembered us when we ran into him on the street later. The place was very, very friendly. This was perfect for what we needed and the price was half of the other hotels I called. We had an ocean front view and its located just a few steps from the boardwalk. I will most definitely be staying with them again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TaleofGenji
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I read all the reviews before I decided to stay here. When I understood the concept of this establishment, I was able to enjoy the good location of where we were staying.
This is an efficiency rental property, that is individually owned. Unfortunately, not all the rooms has been renovated like the others. This is an old building, and the rooms are small. You have to accept what comes with the old and not expect it to compete with big hotels. I was expecting the place to be dirty from reading the reviews, but the hallways were kept clean and our room has been cleaned. The furniture has been dusted, the rugs were new and vacuumed, but, it could have been better if they had removed those old telephones that were in the closet, otherwise, no big surprises.
When you get your mindset that you are renting a condotel and not booked in a hotel room, you got your location and a decent room. First of all, instead of getting your keys from another location, you have the convenience of getting it from Mike at the office or calling him. The maid service is really there just to clean up after occupancy for the next guest. I didn't expect maid service like in a hotel, but like renting a private condo, wherein I have to make sure that I kept my unit clean. I cleaned the bathroom if I need to during my stay, just like in any rental property that i have done.
These are individually owned unit and some had put extensive works in their units and some unfortunately has not. The room we got had no other work done, except that the it was clean. I had brought in my own linens and towels.
It is an old building but I wouldn't say it is run down or a hole, but when you come in with expectation, I can understand the disappointment. I am sure that you will have to pay more than double to stay somewhere in the same location..
One drawback was parking. I wish they had their own parking lot, but one can be lucky and get a space either at lot close to Homestead or at the municipal for $ 15.00/day. We were just going to enjoy the boardwalk and what it had to offer, so as soon as we found a parking spot, the car stayed there.
I guess the pictures can be misleading to think that all the rooms are the same, but unfortunately, like I had said, some were left the same as the day it was bought with some repairs, no special touch while other rooms were renovated to it's ultimate potential. I wish all those rental owners will develop their units to its potential because this little place is really a gem in the rough. If you want a clean, reasonable and no frill, just a place to sleep when you come back from your activities, then this is the place to stay; but if you want a place where there is daily maid service, a 24/7 concierge person at the desk, a pool, parking lot, elegant or plush rooms, this is not the place.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank easydaisy
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I made reservations early, based on the misleading pictures on the net. When we got there (two rooms, 4 people in each room) it took us over an hour to get a space in the parking lot. I was told there were 40 spaces, in reality there are 15 max. He tried to charge me 20 to park (website says 10) he also wanted me to give him my keys so he could "jockey the cars around when it got busy". The rooms are not big enough for 4 people (they are about the size of my daughters bedroom). My room never got cleaned...it was nasty dirty. We were supposed to have an "ocean view" , we had a view of the old broken beds they threw out ). No towels, wash clothes, or even bed linens. At 9:00 p.m I finally got our beds made (I had to help him make them) by 10:15 p.m I finally got towels and wash clothes (3 for the whole weedend for 8 people). We had to take out our own trash, and the guy running the place (Mike) was swearing and arguing with me in front of my children. I complained to the man who supposedly owns the building (nice guy) but not nice enough to offer me and kind of resolution, or restitution. The worst hotel I have EVER stayed at!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank teresaa2004
jksunrise, Manager at Homestead Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2011

At the time of your review, the hotel was managed by another co which was not up to standards. A new management co took over in 2010 who has delivered professional, consistent, and improved service all around. We take our guests' experience very seriously and strive to please. We encourage you to try the Homestead again and enjoy our beach block accommodations..

Reviewed 24 July 2009

If you want a nice leisurely vacation with no service and no room trash pick up, no daily towels or linens, no maid service, no concierge, and no view except for old mattresses and bed frames on the roof as your view then don't stay here, i could go on but it only gets me more aggravated thinking aboui it, we even left a day early and they did not even know we left.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family