“We'll be back!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Gibbstown, New Jersey
“We'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

My girlfriend and I had a great time at the Homestead this past weekend. I was calling around last week to try and find a hotel in Ocean City that was close to the action and reasonably priced. After having about 10 hotels tell me that they have a 2-night minimum stay I talked to Beth at the Homestead. She told me no problem and the room rate was the lowest I could find. She let us check-in 2 hours early on Saturday. The room was small, but very nicely decorated and equipped with a refrigerator, stove, microwave, coffee maker, flat-screen tv and a brand-new bathroom. The air conditioner made the room nice and cool and the ceiling fan was also nice. The room was very clean and well stocked with extra towels and wash cloths. We even found two season beach tags hanging in the closet for us to use. The hotel is a one block walk to the boardwalk and is conveniently right near a Mack and Manco's pizza. We already are trying to make plans to return at the end of August!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tommcl79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
delco,pa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

I stayed here in 2007 with my girlfriend.I remember it well..
We ordered a queen bed. When we arrived. although the room was ok, the bed was not. it was a futon type bed. with only a 3 inch mattress with no cushion.
I sat it in. I have intermittent back problems and I just knew it wasn't for us.When i laid in it,it was so hard( worse than sleeping on a hard floor).
We immediately went down to complain- stating that we wanted a regular bed with a mattress and box spring .The bathroom wasn't upgraded and missing a bulb.(See PHOTO)
but it was ok( floor and tub were NOT exactly spotless but not filthy either.. windows were a little dirty though. couldn't see out of them very well The room kind of smelled a little too.

On the plus side,we had TV with DVD player in it.. which was nice... the other bed we got was fine. nice bed frame and nice furniture..

I don't think it was cheap but not really expensive either..Room came with a fridge that worked fine..Hotel is close to the beach ....but not on it.

If I had no other choice,I might stay here again but I really wouldn't recommend it after they switched our room like that.Still ...it could have been worse...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

Beth, the front desk attendant, was possibly the nicest person I have met on my travels in a long time. She let my girlfriend and I check in 2 hours early, and had a bag of chocolate kisses waiting in our room for us for our anniversary. She was such a doll.
The concept of this little hotel/condo is fantastic, our room was clean and neatly decorated, with contemporary furniture and comfy bed.
The kitchenette was awesome, we pan fried back to life some of our calamari and french fries and nuked some fish we had saved from the night before, saving us from the overly mobbed breakfast spots nearby.
water pressure and hot/cold consistency was way all over the place, but its a very old building so let it be known. This place had charm and character and was so much more classy than all the motels and vacation rental homes in the neighborhood. Also extremely close to 8th street, which is like the heart of Ocean City.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RichiefromBrooklyn
Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

My fiancée and I stayed a weekend in room 607 of the Homestead Beach Hotel in June 2011 and had a wonderful visit. In fact, we’ve already made plans to return July 4 weekend. The room was clean and cheap, and the location was amazing! Room 607 had just been renovated. The bathroom, although small, had all new tile and a cute little sink; the fully stocked kitchenette (half-size refrigerator/freezer, 2-burner electric stove, sink, all new cabinets, coffee maker, toaster, microwave oven, plates, silverware) had a facelift too; plus the entire unit had a fresh coat of paint. The room was small and cozy, but it was just right for the two of us, with a comfortable full-size bed, old fashioned dresser with mirror, a wall-mounted TV with a "hidden" DVD player built in to its side, air conditioner, ceiling fan, and a cute little breakfast nook with a view of the famous Ocean City boardwalk and the Atlantic Ocean less than a block away. We could look out the window and see the Music Pier! The things we liked best about room 607 though, were the two FREE beach tags that we found hanging in the closet (beach tags are required June through September and cost $5 daily or $10 weekly), so that saved us $20 right there. We also liked that we could walk to the boardwalk and the beach. There’s a great breeze coming off the ocean, and we were so close to the beach that we had to sweep away the sand that blew through the open window at night (we took out the window-unit air conditioner because the weather was so nice). Of course, we realized that the units at the Homestead Beach Hotel are all privately owned, and not all of the units have been renovated as nicely as room 607. My advice is that you ask to see the room before renting it. In general though, the rooms are nicer the higher up you go, with rooms on the 5th and 6th floors being the nicest.

Having said all that, all is not perfect in paradise. The rooms are old European style, and that means small. Two people are comfortable, but no more than that. Parking is an issue. There is no free parking, and it costs anywhere from $15 to $25 per day to park in the adjacent lot. A better idea is to drive a block or two away and find a free parking spot on the street, and then leave your car there. Honestly, everything is within walking distance – shopping, restaurants, grocery store, boardwalk, beach - so there was no need for the car after we unloaded our luggage. Speaking of restaurants, we found a great little breakfast/lunch place called The Varsity just a block or so away on 8th Street. It’s my new favorite breakfast spot in Ocean City, New Jersey! In addition to parking, the hotel has the world’s oldest and smallest elevator. Two people barely fit inside it. It does seem reliable though, so I learned to trust it (or walk up 5 flights of stairs). We were pleasantly surprised to find that room 607 came with towels and bedding (not all the rooms do!), but there were no beach towels. We came prepared, so this wasn’t an issue for us. Lastly, there is no maid service. So be prepared to clean up your own mess, just as if you were renting an efficiency apartment, which is basically what you’re doing. What maid service there is exists just to clean the common areas and clean the room/change linens between rentals. So if you realize that you’re not staying at (or paying for) a full-service hotel, then you won’t be disappointed.

In summary, the room is cozy, but perfect for just 2 people. Room 607 had just been renovated, and it has a great view of the boardwalk and the ocean. And the location is right in the heart of Ocean City – walking distance to… everything!

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors with beach views are best!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RedWingJoe
Croydon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

Stayed several nights with no complaints. The Hotel is situated feet from the boardwalk and close to resturants. Room was inexpensive, clean and comfortable with a view of the ocean. What more could you ask?

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank jrchri
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

I read some of the other reviews, and was a little nervous. My wife and I were heading down to the Jersey Shore to relax and walk the boards. I was in contact with one of the private owners of a unit in the Homestead (This is how this hotel operates - each room is individually owned). The price was really low, so I was extra nervous. He met us at the hotel and gave us keys after we saw the room. The room was extremely nice. It was about the size of an average hotel room. The bathroom was a little small, but very nice and worked for us just fine. We had a cooktop stove, microwave, cable TV, in-room A/C, fridge and a table for eating. I found the whole place pleasant and relaxing. I did not talk to any of the hotel staff, but my wife did and she said they were pleasant and helpful. Parking was close but I had to pay ($15.00/24hours), but that is really the center of it all for OC so parking is always a hassle. I will stay in contact with this owner and rent again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wafu4221
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Reading these descriptions I can tell you that the people didn't bother to do their homework. If you check the website, the place isn't trying to hide anything. It's a condotel not a hotel, its not pretending to be one. There is no maid service. You are renting a room for your stay. That being said, I was very happy because I knew what I was getting into. I had brought sheets and towels not knowing exactly what to expect. Our room was immaculately clean with plenty of towels and sheets on the futon. We had a sink, fridge, microwave and two burners, a table by the windows, a flat screen tv with cable and an air conditioner. The bathroom needed a paint job but was again clean and in working order. Mike at the front desk is awesome. He was genuinely concerned if we were happy with the room when we arrived and remembered us when we ran into him on the street later. The place was very, very friendly. This was perfect for what we needed and the price was half of the other hotels I called. We had an ocean front view and its located just a few steps from the boardwalk. I will most definitely be staying with them again in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple