“Lots of good, little bad”

Homestead Beach Hotel
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Philadelphia, PA
“Lots of good, little bad”
Reviewed 4 March 2008

My boyfriend and I just stayed here for a weekend getaway. We had stayed here in the summer and had a nice time so we went with the hotel this time. The woman at the front desk was very nice to us and had the room ready with only a few hours notice. She let us look at a few rooms to decide which one we wanted since it wasn't too crowded. Our room, 210 was recently renovated so it was very nice. The bed was comfortable and the furniture was nice. The bathroom was also very nice with a new jacquzzi tub. It was great to have the kitchenette so we were able to save by cooking ourselves. Parking was free and very available. It was very quiet and relaxing. The woman at the desk gave us a bunch of extra towels, blankets and pillows. And she let us check out at 2 instead of the usual 11. The only bad aspects of the stay was that the heat in the room was turned up to 80 degrees and the room wasn't warming up to that temperature. The bed and another counter were blocking the heater. But during the day the sunlight warmed it up alot. And the heater in the bathroom never came on which made the bathroom pretty cold. Other than those few things, it was a great stay!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tullamore12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Haddonfield
Reviewed 31 December 2007

My wife and I were planning to spend a weekend on the Jersey shoreline and we found this wonderful place.When we woke up in the morning we had a spectacular view of the sunrising over the glistening ocean.The manager was friendly and very courteous.The proximity to to boardwalk and the center of town was perfect but most of all we liked chatting with the friendly people we met in the cafe downstairs.Our stay at the Homestead was wonderful and affordable.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank br0hammer
Garnerville, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2007

The room was so dusty. The comforter/ bedspread was stained, and hair was all over the place. I was so grossed out. My son came up with a description for the room: "crusty room". When I asked at the front desk that the comforter be changed; I was told that "you know we don't change them out after every guest". I did not need to hear that; though I was very much aware of it. The blanket looked like it had dried up snot on one corner. The tub was absolutely filthy. No hair dryer, no iron. I could go on, but you get the idea.
The only highlight in staying there was the restaurant "Dixie Picnic".
I could not wait to leave that place.

• Liked — The restaurant next door "Dixie Picnic"
  • Disliked — Hair all over the place and the dust
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank JayJay1023

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Alpharetta, GA
Reviewed 13 August 2007

This year me, my 4 year old daughter, and my mother made last minute plans to go to Ocean City for 4 days (3 nights) and had to find a hotel with only 2 weeks notice. I found the Homestead had availability and with a great deal of anxiousness I decided to 'roll the dice' and give it a try. I was completely and totally satisfied with my decision. Our room was a bunkbead with trundle set up. My Mom slept on the trundle which was very comfortable, while my daughter & I used the lower bunk which was a double bed. The AC unit provided the right level of white noise to make our sleeping comfortable. The room was clean which is my biggest priority. The efficiency unit offered a refrigerator, micro, range and sink.. While we didn't do much cooking, it was nice to have it availalbe if we wanted it and the refrigerator was a must. The bathroom, while small, was again clean & all we needed to clean the sand off every day. The proximity to the boardwalk can't be beat! I'd definitely stay here again and recommend it to others. Unlike the previous review, I found the staff to be MORE than friendly and extremely helpful.. right down to the cleaning lady who came every morning to change our towels, make beds, empty garbage... The ONLY negative I'll say is the parking. I agree that you will not find 'free' parking & need to pay the additionaly $20 a night. Considering the affordable rate (great package deals available) I think it is fair, but should be communicated a little better. In addition, the cafe in the lobby is very good and very affordable with again very nice staff.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philly, PA
Reviewed 6 August 2007

As my title suggests the rooms at The Homestead Hotel were cute but the management left much to be desired even for a "Jersey Shore" hotel. My 1st problem came in the form of parking or lack there of. The hotel does not have its own lot per se. They do offer a limited number of "$20.00 per day" spots in a secured municipal lot but they don’t tell you this unless you ask. The woman I booked with actually assured me that that free, street parking was plentiful & that I shouldn’t need to pay for parking. Please note that this is absolutely untrue on a busy Saturday in August. To be fair the pay lot is quite close to the hotel & is very secure but the fact that we had to pay extra to park on top of the $200.00 for the night was a slap in the face. Especially considering that we were expressly told that this wouldn’t be the case. When we returned to the hotel to attempt the early check in that we had prearranged (early check in & early check out) we were confronted with the most bitter & unprofessional front desk person ever. I think the poor woman is accustomed to being yelled at since the place is pretty cheap & attracts a young crowd but I simply have no tolerance for attitude & her issues are just not be my problem. After speaking with & then yelling at her for almost an hour we did finally get into our room around 1 PM. Although it was not as early as promised (11 AM) we were in before the official check in time (2 PM) so I suggest yelling if you encounter the same problem. Our room (#405) was pretty cute with modern furnishings was relatively clean & had a comfortable bed with decent linens. The ocean view is barely that so I suggest not paying extra for it. The bay window/ eating area was nice touch and the windows let in a lot of natural light which is not always the case in a shore hotel. A few things we weren’t thrilled with like the fact that there was a small kitchenette with a range but no microwave, the fact that there was no phone in the room, the noisy and barely large enough to keep the room cool AC, the fact that there was no safe, the beeping smoke detector & the filthy shower/ tub were annoying but are acceptable for a one night stay. The one problem that did send my husband back down to battle with the front desk woman was the fact that our door didn’t lock. As we left the room for the beach my husband checked the door to ensure that it was locked and surprise, surprise...it didn’t. As a matter of fact unless you fiddled with the mechanism inside the door it didn’t lock or unlock at all. After a 15 minute yelling match with the front desk lady from hell we were told that our things would be safe & that “a lot of the rooms have that problem”. My husband then demanded the name and phone number of the management co. & promptly called & spoke to someone but for some reason the door never did get fixed. Overall I can’t say that I would recommend this hotel. Although the rooms are nice enough the hassle you’ll encounter getting into yours will probably wreck your mood & who wants to start a vacation that way?

• Liked — Modern room
  • Disliked — Terrible managment
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LESLIEKURZ
pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 June 2007

Looks nicer on the internet than in person. Funny odor in room smelled a bit like cat urine. Wood work in corner covered with dirt and dust balls Bathrom floor was dirty. Some type of brown stain on walls near the bed. If you want close to the beach and do not mind staying in a dump, you wil be happy.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank kattybird
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 20 March 2007

My son and I stayed here last year and loved it, they are small but our unit was very clean and the location was perfect. We would definitely stay there again. If you have a large family or plan on staying for more than a week it might be too small but for a quick getaway or if you want to be close to everything it cant be beat!

• Liked — location
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TominPA