“Affordable getaway at the Tradewinds”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tradewinds Motel

Tradewinds Motel
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
“Affordable getaway at the Tradewinds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My family usually comes to the Tradewinds once or twice a season each year. We always have a good stay there and the price is good for what we need. The motel is in the middle of the Ocean City between the downtown shopping and the Boardwalk action. We always find the room comfortable and clean not that we spend much time in there while we are down. My family likes to cram as much into the weekend as possible. I always enjoyed talking to the owners and was shocked to find out "Big Ed" is no longer with us. I got a kick out of his stories about so much especially about Atlantic City. He will be missed. I know it must not be easy but the family is doing a good job keeping the Tradewinds running smooth. It is still the first place I would recommend to friends to stay while in town.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank William R

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family spends most of the day at the beach and the evenings on the boardwalk, so we were looking for something near the beach that was clean, comfortable and inexpensive. We found all that at the Tradewinds Motel. Our room was small, but had air conditioning, tv, mini fridge everything you'd need for a couple days at the beach. There were no extra pillows or blankets, so bring your own if needed. The bathroom was immaculate.

I was a bit hesitant based on some of the reviews I've read here, but I would recommend this place and plan to stay here again in September.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa K
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I only stayed here because I decided to stay two more nights in OC at the last minute at the urging of friends and it was literally the ONLY room left in town. The room we got was street level right on the corner and the traffic was LOUD! There were two dead beetles on the floor in the bathroom and one semi dead/alive on the floor by the bed. Okay, maybe that is a sign that they at least spray...
Anyway, any room at the shore is going to be not-so-luxurious but this place is a notch below average. There were a few stains on one of the towels, the sink had a large stain, the decor is more outdated and spartan than average and it was a bit musty. The older lady just gets flustered easily I think so I could overlook her harsh seeming demeanor. The younger man was accommodating in trying to get me a different room for my second night. I was comparing it to Ocean 7 where I stayed the previous 2 nights and Ocean 7 wins hands down. I only ask for a place to lay my head that is clean and conducive to sleep. I feel this place falls short compared to other choices but was acceptable as the very last room in town and at $155/night booked at 9pm on July 4th. However, I would not stay here again unless I was desperate as I was tonight. P.S. they should have a deadbolt on all rooms, ESPECIALLY street level ones. Door was flimsy with flimsy chain.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank girchbeb

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I and my friend spent 5 days at the Tradwinds last week [sept 5- 10, 2013] and enjoyed all of it. we had a last minute opening in our schedules, and on Wednesday Sept 4 I called the Tradwinds [after calling about 8 other motels] trying to find a room for the very next day, for a 5 day stay. Ed Dolceamor, the owner answered the phone, and cordially booked the room. After getting there, we found the room to be a nice simple 50's style old Jersey motel; it was very clean, had a microwave and fridge, air conditioning, nice bathroom, pool, close to the beach....Over the stay, I got into many conversations with Ed, and he was very welcoming. He was very flexible on our desire to stay an extra day, and made it easy. I would go back there again, happily.
I write this review also to counter some of the absolutely awful reviews I read of Ed's place; before the booking on 9/5, I read reviews of many motels, and Ed's had 2 types: I loved it, I hated it. The Hated It crowd said it was dirty, mildewy, smelly, dirty linens, rude staff......NOT ONE OF THOSE THINGS IS TRUE. I have NO affiliation with Ed, never met him before. I took the room because he was the only one who had 4 days over the weekend, and I was a little concerned because of the bad reviews. But from the moment we arrived, Ed was pleasant, helpful, funny and knowledgeable. Honestly, not one of the critiques was true, except that the place is old. It is a '50's style place, but it is clean, painted, and has the minimum things modern places require [fridge/micro/air/pool]. The room was quiet, even though it is on 9th street, the main drag into town [old thick walls]. So I do not understand when things that are essentially not true [I am tempted to say "lies"] are written about a place; One does not have to like it, one can criticize it for whatever true reason. But to say things that are fatal to a hotel/motel [cleanliness is maybe number 1 for most folks], and for them to be untrue, well I just don't understand that. Again, I have no affiliation with Ed, or Ocean City, or anything - I'm just an old Philly guy who loves the old shore, which OCean City is. It is quiet, a dry town [no drunks], nice beaches, an old fashioned boardwalk that is safe and fun for kids......and hosptiable folks like Ed and Nona Dulceamor. Go to the Tradewinds if you like the old Jersey shore, clean simple and fun.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PhillyDancer99
bucks county
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Booked this room as a last minute get away. No other hotels had availability. The room was very small and one hardly had enough room to get in or out of the shower. The small refrigerator was placed right next to the head of the bed so I heard the compressor cycling on and off all night right next to my ear. Also, I brought food down to heat up to cut down on going out to eat all the time. Only to find out to my horror that there was NO MICROWAVE, an NO COFFEE MAKER. I realize that we did not book a suite, but we have stayed at other hotels which all had at least Coffee makers and Microwaves in ALL ROOMS. Also, the pool was not heated. We looked forward to going swimming on one of the cool days but couldn't even do that either. We will not be back. I would rather stay home than stay here again for a quick get away.

Room Tip: Don't even bother staying here.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
York, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

My mom and I drove down this weekend for a quick overnight OCNJ trip and found the area to be very packed. Stopped at the visitors center to see who had vacancies. Tradewinds was one of them. For starters, the lady seemed short on the phone. They told us $165 for the night. But, since there was a room available, we stopped by. When my mom walked in, the lady was equally as uninterested and further told here the room would be $175. My mom said, "someone on the phone just told me $165." She then says, "ok, then $165. But, you wont be able to get in for a while." Well, my mom wanted to make sure the parking was fine (cause she is VERY picky about her van) before we booked the room. We found the spare parking lot and, since it seemed nice, we decided to park there and my mom was gonna walk back over and book the room. Well, I don't know if the lady followed us right over, but within 2 minutes of us parking, she's walking over and confronting us about what we are doing. We told her we decided we'd stay here, so we are parking and my mom was on her way over to pay for the room. She then says, "well you need a green tag to park here!" We, again, explained what we were doing. She's like, "well I didn't know what you were doing. But, you need a green tag first." I could not believe it. A) I HATE, as an extremely honest person, to be badgered, let alone by a person who talks first and asks questions later. B) I have never saw such horrible apathy as an employee and such horrible customs service. Who chases right behind someone in the parking lot and just assumes we are going to park there without staying. First off, don't assume. Second, isn't that what tow trucks are for?! After that, we decided even though it was probably the only room left in OCNJ, that we would never patronize someone like that. My mom even stopped back into the office to tell the lady. She acted like "what did i do?" Well, my mom told her, "for starters, you can at least smile!" She then reinforced how horrid of an experience that was and told her we were going to take the room. Apparently, she told my mom in the meantime that she talked to the owner and he sad it would have to be $175 after all. What a joke! It's disappointing that honest and kind people have to deal with an attitude like that. I understand some people think customer service is "slave-service." No. I just would like a smile and a welcome. I don't write many reviews, but these owners do not deserve to be patronized - at least until they can replace their staff member.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank WranglerAngel05
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

The owners Ed and Nona are terrific people, and were very helpful in recommending places for us to eat. The motel is centrally located, you can walk to just about everything. Yes it's an old motel and shows its age but it is clean (I have NO idea where these people stayed who said it wasn't clean!!). We stayed for 2 nights and had no problem falling asleep since the bed was very comfortable. The pool is small but very clean (thanks to Chuck!). The air conditioner worked great and even though it wasn't turned on when we got in the room (which I DON'T blame them for not doing, it really isn't that difficult to turn it on YOURSELF when you get in there, and I find it hysterical that someone actually complained about that since EVERY motel I have EVER stayed at does the same thing), it only took a few minutes for the room to be the perfect temperature. You can't please everyone (obviously) but if you're looking for a nice room, with courteous and caring owners, within walking distance to the beach, boardwalk, restaurants, and more, this is a GREAT place to stay! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple