“Like time stood still...”
Review of Ocean Manor Hotel

Ocean Manor Hotel
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We were going to Ocean City for a family wedding and a family member recimmended this place. Since he does a great deal of traveling, we trusted that he would fine a nice, clean place for us to stay.
The place literally looks like NOTHING was done to it in the past fifty years. The lobby was a mess, the rooms have that gross indoor/outdoor carpet and peeling wallpaper. The windows were dirty and the bathroom was gross also: dirty, moldy.
DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank irishmomAlbany_N_Y_

Reviewed 18 August 2008

A few friends and I were in a pinch and needed somewhere to stay for cheap. I called around to check rates, and Ocean Manor had the cheapest I'd found. Now I know why. We stayed in the main building on the third floor in room 4. No elevater, only staircase. The room had a burn mark on the carpet in the shape of an iron. The bathroom was small, and had signs of mildew and they didn't provide any types of shower/bath toiletries. Not to mention it took at least 10 minutes for the water to warm up, and when I finally stepped into the shower, the water turned freezing cold without warning, forcing me to fiddle with the knobs to make it warm again (there were four knobs in the shower, 2 hot and 2 cold. one pair didnt even work!). The water pressure was very weak too, made it hard to get sand out of hair, etc. The TV set was ridiculously outdated, sitting on a stand in the middle of the room, not very classy. I'm pretty sure the key to our room worked to open every door in the building. There was one thermostat on our whole floor, which had four rooms located on it. So we were afraid to change it because we didn't want to make other people unhappy, although I'm sure no one else was staying there. The pool area was tacky, and the pool itself was dirty. The parking lot is a hassel to pull in and out of, very tight spots. The woman at the desk recommended that we "didn't plug in our laptop in case of blowing a fuse in the whole building." (Be warned, NO three prong outlets in room!) No ice machine/soda machine. No phone in room. One of our windows were broken. And by broken I mean the glass was shattered on the outside. Definitely will not stay here again, and if you are looking for a hotel to stay in I recommend the Port-O-Call, very nice and is an actual Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kmhickey187
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I have stayed here about 5 times over the past 30 years- most recently last week. I have also stayed in Ritz Carltons and other super luxury hotels. The hotel itself is not luxurious but its location is super luxurious. If you compare the Ocean Manor's rates to other hotels near it, and how close it is to the boardwalk, and specifically how close it is to the middle of the boardwalk, it is SUPER GOOD VALUE for people who want to be near the middle of the boardwalk. My most recent room was very similar to the rooms I've stayed in before- in the 1980s, 1990s, and about 9 years ago. The entire hotel (all sections) are decorated with stuff that many people consider ugly- however, that does not mean that they are dirty- they are ugly (ie. very strange looking floral arrangements, clashing patterns all over the place). However, when you look beyond ugly furnishings, old furniture, some paint flaking off the walls in places, ... it is a little dirty but I think only to the extent that it would bother an obsessive-compulsive cleanliness fanatic. Considering the low room rate, someone requiring complete cleanliness might want to take the room and spend five minutes cleaning themselves. Interestingly given earlier posts, the sink, floor, toilet, and shower were spotless and I saw no mold in any part of the hotel (We had a shower door instead of curtain). The beds were also very comfortable and everything about them was clean. We had a refrigerator which worked perfectly and the elevator up to our room also worked perfectly and very quickly. Some of the hallways are not airconditioned and thus contain the smells expected in an unairconditioned hotel by the ocean- salt, and perhaps the tiniest musty smell (I have a super sense of smell). My room contained an airconditioner that looked almost new and worked perfectly. It occurred to me that it is more like an aging grandmother's home, rather than a luxury hotel or a generally yucky hotel. Our room was very quiet and the hotel seems to attract smart people who want to save money- rather than wild, loud people. The hotel also provides one free, no-nonsense parking space- unlike another at Ocean City which last year told us that, if we lost our parking permit, we'd owe them about $1000 or something. You can borrow beach tags (normally $5/day) for $2 the first day and $1 for each day after that. Our room also had a good TV with cable, but no remote, no phone, and no clock. However, if you're looking for a hotel where you're going to lie around, watching TV all the time, talking on the phone, and enjoying luxurious amenities- this hotel is not for you. This hotel is perfect for people who love Ocean City- its boardwalk, beaches, and want to be within walking distance of everything great the city has to offer. If you can handle a little imperfection, you can get a great deal and be in a terrific location.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank olivedougherty
Reviewed 2 September 2007

My husband wanted to go to the shore over Labor Day weekend which also happened to be his birthday. Unfortunately we didn't decide until two days before. I booked this hotel because they had room and would rent to us for one night. I did this before I checked Trip Advisor which I never do. Imagine my horror when I checked the reviews. Maybe I had low expectations but I thought the place was great. We stayed in the 1100 house which was recently purchased. I thought the place was very clean and every person I dealt with was very nice and helpul. I would definitely stay there again. You can' t beat the location and it has a small but decent pool and verandahs you can relax on when you are done with the beach or boardwalk. I am looking forward to our next stay there!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank tjfpa
Reviewed 26 July 2007

We booked the last minute, so what can you expect! The smell when we walked in, should have been the first sign, along with the junk in the so called lobby and fake flowers on the front balcony! Our room was tolerable, but our friend's room had a shower stall, that my six foot tall friend just made it! The maid accidentally took one of our large fluffy bath towels, which we never got back. Even after telling the staff several times.
They tried! It could be a very nice place, if someone invested some money and time to fix it up!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2006

My daughter and I stayed at this place last weekend. As we were checking in my daughter held her nose saying it smelled in this place. That should have been my first clue. After checking in we walked up more steps and down a hallway that was sort of dark. In front of our room was a curtain rod. I thought that this was odd, but I just moved it aside and went in. I opened the door and I wanted to cry. First, the room itself was so small. There was no control over the air conditioning, there was no phone or alarm clock. The bathroom was old and decorations were outdated. The smoke detector did not work- yes I tested it. That was the final straw. I grabbed my suitcases and my daughter and I headed back down the narrow staircase. Back in the lobby, where my daughter was again commenting how it smelled, I informed the person behind the desk that I could not stay in that room and I wanted my money back. She asked why, I gave the reasons and she was argumentative and told me that she did not know how to refund my credit card and that I would have to come back tomorrow to talk to the owner. Meanwhile another worker said that there was another room in another building that I could try out. Against my better judgement, I went and looked. It was slightly better, and since there was no other rooms in OC I reluctantly stayed. I assure you, I will never stay there again and I recommend that you save your money.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank merchdenn
Reviewed 13 September 2006

I've stayed at alot of places in OC NJ. Some very nice, some not so nice. This was a last minute thing, and the Ocean Manor was the only place available for the Labor Day weekend. This probably takes the award for worst place I've ever stayed.

We stayed in the 1100 Ocean Ave building, the rooms were tiny, the bathroom was not clean, tiles were missing, the shower was disgusting. The TV remote was hit or miss, mini fridge needed to be defrosted, furniture was from the flea market collection. The only lamp in the "living room" was missing a prong from the plug and had no light bulb. The only light source was the ceiling fan and the three 60 watt light bulbs lit the little room up like an airport

While unpacking, we set our 8 month old infant on the floor for a second. We noticed she had found something of interest, and as most infants will do, put it in her mouth. To our horror, it was a human toenail. Needless to say, after removing the nail from her mouth, we left.

This is an experience we'll never forget, and not because of good memories.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family