“Quaint, friendly, and excellent service!”
Review of Ocean Manor Hotel

Ocean Manor Hotel
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Quaint, friendly, and excellent service!”
Reviewed 17 August 2009

This was my first trip to OC-NJ. My fiance, however, has stayed at Ocean Manor many times before.
We were very pleased with the room and amenities. The cable and remote were ready and waiting, the AC was cold and exhillerating, everything was clean!
It was a small room with no frills, exactly what we were looking for. If you want high-end amenities, stay at the Flanders! If you want personal touches, in a well-established Inn with an exceptionally friendly staff, this is the place to be.
You get a parking space, a pool, a discounted price on the beach passes, and... the best location to the boardwalk - just one block away.
Can't wait to come back next year!
Char & Steve, Harrisburg, PA

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I've stayed at Ocean Manor about 10 times in the last 15 years. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's perfect for a family get away close to the beach and boardwalk for a family with little kids. I've already brought an inflatable tub for when my kids were babies so it didn't matter if the bathroom was a shower or a tub. You can have the feeling of stepping back in time and perhaps visiting your grandmother's summer home, but it is clean. Bedding and bathrooms were clean, from years and years of staying at seaside hotels & motels, I've always chosen to bring my own towels and pillows, but only because I prefer big bath sheets (which even Marriots don't supply) and my own pillow. I've stayed in more expensive places where I wouldn't let my kids sit on the toilet seats - but have never had issue with the cleanliness of the Ocean Manor.

If you want a family friendly place super close to the center of the boardwalk that is a great value, this is the right choice. If you don't go to the beach, need to stay in your room for the whole vacation, maybe this isn't the place for you. They've got apartments with kitchens for extended stay that I've stayed in when I've booked early in the season.

All the people that stay there every summer can't be wrong, and since my visits are different times of the seasons, I've met many of them over the years. Don't go the the seashore unless you can handle some sand in between your toes!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 July 2009

My daughter and I booked a room at the Ocean Manor Inn after choosing it off the internet. I should have read all the reviews because I would have changed my mind. I did not get a good feeling when making the reservation since the person on the phone was very unprofessional and yelling at someone in the background while talking to me. When we got there, I had to wait 10 minutes to check in since the person at the desk was no where to be found. I had to finally call her on her cell phone and got some excuse about her being the only one around that day. Then we went to our room. What a nightmare. It was upstairs in the cottage. The room smelled musty and was very hot so we decided to open windows and came to find all the screens were ripped and blowing in the breeze. Half the slats were missing in the mini blinds on all the windows and also the mechanism to open or close the blinds was missing. There was one light in the middle of the room on a ceiling fan. At night this gave off barely any light. The air conditioner worked, however, was completely rusted on the outside and half of it is overgrown with ivy. Dangerous!!!!! We were sure there would be a fire and we would be burnt to a crisp while we slept. There were unexplainable stains on the bedspread and rug. We were supposed to stay 3 nights and ended up staying only 1. I made reservations elsewhere and checked out of the Ocean Manor early. I was never asked why I was checking out. Probably because they had my money and obviously didn't care. Thank goodness the other place, Impala Island Inn, had a room for us. They saved our vacation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Albany
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We were going to Ocean City for a family wedding and a family member recimmended this place. Since he does a great deal of traveling, we trusted that he would fine a nice, clean place for us to stay.
The place literally looks like NOTHING was done to it in the past fifty years. The lobby was a mess, the rooms have that gross indoor/outdoor carpet and peeling wallpaper. The windows were dirty and the bathroom was gross also: dirty, moldy.
DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Liked — close proximity to the boardwalk
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank irishmomAlbany_N_Y_
PA
Reviewed 18 August 2008

A few friends and I were in a pinch and needed somewhere to stay for cheap. I called around to check rates, and Ocean Manor had the cheapest I'd found. Now I know why. We stayed in the main building on the third floor in room 4. No elevater, only staircase. The room had a burn mark on the carpet in the shape of an iron. The bathroom was small, and had signs of mildew and they didn't provide any types of shower/bath toiletries. Not to mention it took at least 10 minutes for the water to warm up, and when I finally stepped into the shower, the water turned freezing cold without warning, forcing me to fiddle with the knobs to make it warm again (there were four knobs in the shower, 2 hot and 2 cold. one pair didnt even work!). The water pressure was very weak too, made it hard to get sand out of hair, etc. The TV set was ridiculously outdated, sitting on a stand in the middle of the room, not very classy. I'm pretty sure the key to our room worked to open every door in the building. There was one thermostat on our whole floor, which had four rooms located on it. So we were afraid to change it because we didn't want to make other people unhappy, although I'm sure no one else was staying there. The pool area was tacky, and the pool itself was dirty. The parking lot is a hassel to pull in and out of, very tight spots. The woman at the desk recommended that we "didn't plug in our laptop in case of blowing a fuse in the whole building." (Be warned, NO three prong outlets in room!) No ice machine/soda machine. No phone in room. One of our windows were broken. And by broken I mean the glass was shattered on the outside. Definitely will not stay here again, and if you are looking for a hotel to stay in I recommend the Port-O-Call, very nice and is an actual Hotel.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — The hotel.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Kmhickey187
main line, pa
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I have stayed here about 5 times over the past 30 years- most recently last week. I have also stayed in Ritz Carltons and other super luxury hotels. The hotel itself is not luxurious but its location is super luxurious. If you compare the Ocean Manor's rates to other hotels near it, and how close it is to the boardwalk, and specifically how close it is to the middle of the boardwalk, it is SUPER GOOD VALUE for people who want to be near the middle of the boardwalk. My most recent room was very similar to the rooms I've stayed in before- in the 1980s, 1990s, and about 9 years ago. The entire hotel (all sections) are decorated with stuff that many people consider ugly- however, that does not mean that they are dirty- they are ugly (ie. very strange looking floral arrangements, clashing patterns all over the place). However, when you look beyond ugly furnishings, old furniture, some paint flaking off the walls in places, ... it is a little dirty but I think only to the extent that it would bother an obsessive-compulsive cleanliness fanatic. Considering the low room rate, someone requiring complete cleanliness might want to take the room and spend five minutes cleaning themselves. Interestingly given earlier posts, the sink, floor, toilet, and shower were spotless and I saw no mold in any part of the hotel (We had a shower door instead of curtain). The beds were also very comfortable and everything about them was clean. We had a refrigerator which worked perfectly and the elevator up to our room also worked perfectly and very quickly. Some of the hallways are not airconditioned and thus contain the smells expected in an unairconditioned hotel by the ocean- salt, and perhaps the tiniest musty smell (I have a super sense of smell). My room contained an airconditioner that looked almost new and worked perfectly. It occurred to me that it is more like an aging grandmother's home, rather than a luxury hotel or a generally yucky hotel. Our room was very quiet and the hotel seems to attract smart people who want to save money- rather than wild, loud people. The hotel also provides one free, no-nonsense parking space- unlike another at Ocean City which last year told us that, if we lost our parking permit, we'd owe them about $1000 or something. You can borrow beach tags (normally $5/day) for $2 the first day and $1 for each day after that. Our room also had a good TV with cable, but no remote, no phone, and no clock. However, if you're looking for a hotel where you're going to lie around, watching TV all the time, talking on the phone, and enjoying luxurious amenities- this hotel is not for you. This hotel is perfect for people who love Ocean City- its boardwalk, beaches, and want to be within walking distance of everything great the city has to offer. If you can handle a little imperfection, you can get a great deal and be in a terrific location.

• Liked — great value for money
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank olivedougherty
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 2 September 2007

My husband wanted to go to the shore over Labor Day weekend which also happened to be his birthday. Unfortunately we didn't decide until two days before. I booked this hotel because they had room and would rent to us for one night. I did this before I checked Trip Advisor which I never do. Imagine my horror when I checked the reviews. Maybe I had low expectations but I thought the place was great. We stayed in the 1100 house which was recently purchased. I thought the place was very clean and every person I dealt with was very nice and helpul. I would definitely stay there again. You can' t beat the location and it has a small but decent pool and verandahs you can relax on when you are done with the beach or boardwalk. I am looking forward to our next stay there!

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Boardwalk noise adn car alarms
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family