All reviews week stay great room rocking chairs pull out sofa beach passes board walk rochelle bible boardwalk balconies furnishings
Reviewed 15 September 2006

My daughter and I stayed at this place last weekend. As we were checking in my daughter held her nose saying it smelled in this place. That should have been my first clue. After checking in we walked up more steps and down a hallway that was sort of dark. In front of our room was a curtain rod. I thought that this was odd, but I just moved it aside and went in. I opened the door and I wanted to cry. First, the room itself was so small. There was no control over the air conditioning, there was no phone or alarm clock. The bathroom was old and decorations were outdated. The smoke detector did not work- yes I tested it. That was the final straw. I grabbed my suitcases and my daughter and I headed back down the narrow staircase. Back in the lobby, where my daughter was again commenting how it smelled, I informed the person behind the desk that I could not stay in that room and I wanted my money back. She asked why, I gave the reasons and she was argumentative and told me that she did not know how to refund my credit card and that I would have to come back tomorrow to talk to the owner. Meanwhile another worker said that there was another room in another building that I could try out. Against my better judgement, I went and looked. It was slightly better, and since there was no other rooms in OC I reluctantly stayed. I assure you, I will never stay there again and I recommend that you save your money.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank merchdenn
Reviewed 13 September 2006

I've stayed at alot of places in OC NJ. Some very nice, some not so nice. This was a last minute thing, and the Ocean Manor was the only place available for the Labor Day weekend. This probably takes the award for worst place I've ever stayed.

We stayed in the 1100 Ocean Ave building, the rooms were tiny, the bathroom was not clean, tiles were missing, the shower was disgusting. The TV remote was hit or miss, mini fridge needed to be defrosted, furniture was from the flea market collection. The only lamp in the "living room" was missing a prong from the plug and had no light bulb. The only light source was the ceiling fan and the three 60 watt light bulbs lit the little room up like an airport

While unpacking, we set our 8 month old infant on the floor for a second. We noticed she had found something of interest, and as most infants will do, put it in her mouth. To our horror, it was a human toenail. Needless to say, after removing the nail from her mouth, we left.

This is an experience we'll never forget, and not because of good memories.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2006

We stayed here by default because there were no other hotels available. Our first clue that we were staying in a dump was that we could actually get a room! We had to book for two nights even though we only wanted to stay for one. The owner told us that it was a clean, but small room....the small was true, the clean was a total lie. There were so many signs with rules of things that you could not do, it felt like I was back in Catholic school. When we actually walked into the room it was literally a bed(full size) a television, with no remote, a small refrigerator that did not work a night table and a chair. It was the tiniest room I ever saw. There was a chair in the corner blocking a door in the room. The door had a peep hole in it and when you looked through you saw a long hallway filled with paint chips that fell from the ceiling and piled high with dirty bed linens. There were doors in this hallway. I don't know if this mess was outside of other peoples rooms but this mess was there all weekend. The bathroom was so disgusting my friend actually did not want to shower. When you flushed the toilet you heard a gurgling noise in the sink! What is that about? The shower stall was filthy and the shower curtain was so filled with black mold that I wouldn't touch it because I believe that the entire thing would disintegrate because it was made of mold. We asked the manager to change out this disgusting item and were told it would be taken care of. It never was. Surprise! The decor was early flea market, I don't even know why they bothered...we stayed inside as little as possible. The walls were pepto bismol pink. We didn't explore any of the other ?amenities? that this place had to offer, because we had seen what effort the owners put into keeping their guests comfortable in their room. The towel had Ocean Manor marked on them in magic marker...like anyone would steal them...you were afraid you'd catch a disease just using them. No trash cans outside but people are creative and the front yard had plenty of room for a few more bottles and cans...so did the flower planters that contained weeds and trash. The ashtrays were filled with butts, probably a summers worth....they looked as if they were never emptied. The patio outside of our room looked as if it was never swept. This place is the definition of a dump. I can't believe they could have a hotel license. Do yourself a favor ....use trip advisor...read peoples reviews....do some research ....and make reservations somewhere else!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank pagirl19
Reviewed 28 August 2006

I will just give you the highlights of this hotel - and I use the word hotel - loosely....there was no phone, no clock, no remote control! On the guest towels - in magic marker was written - Ocean Manor - how classy. They have planters with weeds growing out of them - actually, people started using them as trash containers because there are none around. And saving the best for last - there was mold - yes mold - all over the shower curtain.

It's unbelievable that this place is in business.

I hope I didn't catch a disease staying there.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank nap63
Reviewed 31 July 2006

We stayed here for one night in July 2006. You can't beat the location. The property is centrally located on 11th and Ocean Ave. one block from the Ocean City Boardwalk near Castaway Cove amusement pier. This motel is actually three buildings. We occupied a double room, Unit 201 in the 1100 building. Charge was $169 plus tax which seemed to be a relative bargain. Yes, the property is "tired" though it has some charm (compared to a chain motel). Our room was clean and pleasantly decorated with rattan furniture, lace curtains, comfortable bed with flowered bed spread, and faux painted walls. A room air conditioner and ceiling fan were more than adequate to cool the room while temperatures outside were in the high 90's. The room had a TV, mini-fridge and bar sink (no telephone). A bathroom with tiny stall shower was furnished with motel quality towels, bar soap and plastic cups. Our room was in the front of the motel on Ocean Ave. so there was some traffic/people noise although this died down after midnight. Parking was provided. I recommend this motel for someone seeking budget type accomodations close to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family