“A nicer dining option in Ocean City”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of 701 Mosaic

701 Mosaic
Ranked #12 of 212 Restaurants in Ocean City
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Caribbean, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Chef Herb Allwood and his wife Pamela Womble opened 701 mosaic in August 2008 to present an exciting array of old and new world flavors and showcase their passion for Caribbean and Mediterranean cuisine. They successfully created an upscale yet warm and welcoming bistro in what was once an abandoned pizza parlor in Ocean City's North End. The team also received a 2008 Beautification Award from the City of Ocean City for their renovation of the property. 701 Mosaic operates seasonally from May to October and looks forward to your next visit.
Voorhees, New Jersey
“A nicer dining option in Ocean City”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

701 Mosaic benefits from being a more upscale dining option in a resort town typical bereft of such options. My family's recent dinner here had some hits, and notable misses.
We started with the sampler appetizer, which was a nice portion of tasty chicken wings, some pretty good calamari, some bland and tasteless patties (with different stuffings, which didn't seem to make a difference), and some chips.
My wife's salmon had a glaze on it that was really quite good, and it was cooked well.
I had a steak special, a 16 oz. NY strip. Ordered medium rare, it came out rare, but with a blackened, almost burnt exterior that detracted from the taste. The steak itself was a bit too fatty and sinewy - overall, just ok. It came with seasoned fries and vegetables.
Our server was fine, although the service itself was inconsistent - our waitress didn't tell us the prices on the specials, while the waitress taking care of the adjoining table did. I had to ask three times, to two different people, for steak sauce. But everyone was friendly and well-intentioned.
Overall, it was an ok experience, and given the lack of nicer restaurants in Ocean City, they may benefit from standing out in a fine dining wasteland. But I'm not sure it would be enough to make me come back.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank SJEK

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hungry? Go to 701 Mosaic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband and I couldn't stop raving about this place! The food was on point from beginning to end. The entrees were colorful and seasoned to a unique perfection. Staff was genuinely kind and fun to be around.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Christiedier
Central Pennsylvania
“Yummy Jerk Pork”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

The Jerk seasoning was hot - but certainly edible and portion sizes were great. We had a very nice time at this Caribbean style restaurant.

Visited June 2014
Ocean City, NJ
“Wow! Great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I went to 701 Mosaic after seeing the good review on TA, and we were not disappointed! Some reviewers commented that the decor is fairly basic, and it is (so what), but that is all that was basic about this place. We came later in the evening and there was only one other couple in the restaurant so it was quite and cozy, just what we were looking for. Our server was very friendly and attentive, and we enjoyed chatting with the owner. We sampled the homemade ginger beer and sorrel (hibiscus) drinks. Now these unusual beverages will not be for everyone, but I got the ginger beer and my husband got the sorrel, which is a Caribbean beverage. Both have a very distinct and spiced flavor, and we both enjoyed trying something different. Now let's talk about the food! The menu offers both Caribbean and Mediterranean food, so we sampled one of each. I ordered the Jerk Chicken and my husband ordered the Linguini with Clam Sauce. I know these sound very basic - and they were of the lowest priced offerings on the menu - but let me try to describe how remarkably delicious they were. First of all, the portions were huge and very well presented. The Jerk Chicken was extremely tender and the spicy Jamaican barbecue flavor was amazing. It was served with rice and peas and sweet plantains, and there was plenty left to take home. My husband's Linguini with Clam Sauce was so amazing that we were talking about it the next day. Now I am Italian, and I have to say that we both thought it was the best we had ever tasted. The portion was huge and it was served with very tender clams in the shell, and he topped it with parmesan cheese (make sure you ask for the cheese!). The linguini was perfectly prepared and it melted in your mouth - and the broth was incredible. I asked my husband if he wanted me to order more bread to dip in the broth, and he said no - which any Italian would think a shame to waste. The next time I looked the broth was all gone - he ate it like soup! Kudos for a very nice evening with surprising delicious food. We'll be back!

• Visited May 2014
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Great Caribbean food on the Jersey shore!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had an awesome Memorial Day weekend dinner here. My wife had the jerk shrimp and I had the jerk chicken...both were excellent. I also enjoyed the home made ginger beer. The service was great and we felt right at home. We'll definitely be stopping by here again.

Visited May 2014