“Good Mexican for OC”

Cinco De Mayo
Ranked #21 of 225 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Since the Surf Cafe closed, decided to give this place a try. Overall, the food was fresh and tasty, the service was good and reasonably priced. I think you need to consider what you are ordering.... In other words, stick with the Classic Mexican offerings like burritos and such vs. entrees like the steak and shrimp dinner which was not good at all.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We noticed a lot of delicious sounding authentic Mexican dishes on the the menu, but after pigging out all day on the boardwalk we ordered two veggie burritos with no cheese. The service was friendly and attentive, and the chips and salsa were good with two different salsas. We enjoyed out burritos although they were nothing special. We would like to come back and order on of their specialties. Seating area is small, but on a saturday evening in late August it was not full around 6:30, although a small wait had formed as we left.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Cinco De Mayo is a small place with tasty food. The kitchen is in the front and patrons can watch their food being made fresh. They have all the 'normal' staples you see on a Mexican restaurant menu. The fish taco is phenomenal: flaky and flavorful white fish with a delicious tartar sauce topping. The one drawback is that the combination meals must all be the same meat. I like to try different things and am disappointed by being stuck with one meat. However, one day we were the only ones in there and I was able to order two different meats! I am excited to eat here year round.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I remember a few years ago when this place opened I hesitated - Mexican food in Ocean City that didn't come from a Taco Bell? Hmm - I'll try it. I did, and I enjoyed it very, very much.

Fast forward three or so years later and, finding myself in Ocean City once more, I decided to give it another shot. The food is certainly above average (bordering on excellent) especially when you take in account where it is. Also, the prices are ridiculously low for being in a town that, as Mayor Larry Vaughn of Amity once said, "....is a summer town. We need summer dollars."

The service, however, is a different kettle of fish - I don't think I've ever had it good here. Tonight was the norm - server takes order, brings me water, I drink it and, for the next 20 minutes, watch as she walks by my table, stares at the empty glass, and turns away like it's going to ask to meet her at the El Rancho Motel at 2am. I wasn't able to get a refill until I asked for the check which took another chunk of time. It was busy, but not crazy busy and, considering I had a table directly in front of the server's station, it was insane.

Chips to start the meal were decent; salsa to go with them was excellent. The restaurant itself is unassuming and straight to the point. Nothing fancy here, nor does it need to be. Simply put, if you're looking for a romantic dinner spot, look elsewhere, unless "romance" to you is a place full of screaming kids seated with parents who think people love to hear their screaming kids while they eat.

In the mood for Mexican? Go. I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially for the price. Just bring a book or iPad to kill time before refills.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had seen some very good reviews on this restaurant and thought we would give it a try. This is no Don Pablo's or Taco Bell. This is real outstanding Mexican food. The place is tiny and we had a 20 minute wait for a table but it was well worth it. I had an enchilada dish and when the waitress asked if I wanted the red or green sauce and told me the red was a bit spicy, she wasn't kidding. The 5 members of our party all ordered different items and all raved about the quality and quantity of the food. I saw some reviews that complained that the drinks (Ocean City is a dry town so it was all soda) were served in bottles. We were offered glasses but chose just to drink from the bottle. Let me tell you...it's worth leaving the boardwalk for some true Mexican cuisine.