“Great eatery in Ocean City”
Review of Bongo Cafe & Grille - CLOSED

Bongo Cafe & Grille
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Creative dishes served in an upbeat retro beach setting. Serving breakfast, lunch & dinner. Separate vegan menu available. Gluten-free options. Pet friendly outdoor seating, in season.
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Bongo is great casual restaurant on Bay Ave. The atmosphere is fun and 60's beach style inside (there is a tv that plays campy Annette Funicello & Frankie Avalon beach films from 1965). And there is outdoor seating on the side of the restaurant as well. We stopped in for dinner, and went back another day for breakfast. The dinner was extremely tasty - highly recommend the white clam chowder and the mako tacos. My son had the shrimp po-boy which he devoured.
The next time we went for breakfast and were not disappointed - I had the eggs benedict and again it was very good and plentiful, with potatoes on the side. All the plates look beautiful, and live up to the expectations. Again, try the white clam chowder, its not too heavy and perfectly seasoned.

3  Thank Sunlover2008sandman

Reviewed 18 August 2014

First I have read many reviews about this restaurant and I do agree ( judging only from one visit) that the menu is unique. However, I ordered the moms favorite breakfast with egg whites as I'm on a low cholesterol diet and they gave me the wrong order. Considering we waited 30 mins to sit down in the 80 degree heat outside and were on our way home to PA , I politely told the waitress it was okay and she apologized and said the chef was very busy. Aren't most chefs busy , as it's their job to make sure the right food is going out. My order was good, but when I got the check there was no discount for the error . I'm a business woman and a slight gesture of customer service combined with the great food / menu is what keeps restaurants afloat. Not sure yet if we will be returning! First impressions are very important to me.

1  Thank Travelpro2006
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I saw this restaurant on tripadvisor, and saw that it ranked #3 of about 150 restaurants in this area, so I decided to go. As I pulled up to the restaurant, I was discouraged because it looked like a small nothing place. I was almost tempted not to go in. I went to the front and was told there was a 45 minute wait for breakfast or lunch at 10:55 am. I became interested again, since people were waiting and didn't seem to mind. That indicated to me that perhaps it was worth it after all.
Well, it definitely is worth the wait. Jaime waited on us, and she was a delight. She took her time giving us suggestions on what to order, and seemed to really enjoy her job, and enjoyed helping people. I got a corned beef reuben, which was very lean and very good, with a reasonable price of $8.95. My wife got a very interesting and delicious adult grilled cheese sandwich with real turkey breast, goat cheese, marmalade topping on delicious bread; she loved it. I couldn't help but look at what other people were getting, and each dish looked like a imaginative work of art. I can't wait to go back and try other things on this menu. This restaurant would be a success anywhere, because the menu is original, the food is delicious, and the price is reasonable.

5  Thank evsbabes
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I eat here a couple times a year when I'm in town. Today was a long wait despite many open tables so I'm guessing it was a staffing issue. I'm glad we waited. I had the omelet special, which was pretty much a little of everything (sausage, spinach, bacon, tomato, peppers, mushrooms, cheese etc) and huge! Waitress was super friendly and attentive and handled a special request perfectly.

1  Thank MES3605
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family and I have been to Bongo several times over the last 3 or so years; having breakfast, lunch and dinner. With each of our visits we have always been extremely pleased with our meals.

1  Thank Friendsoffood