“Orders almost never ready when promised”

Voltaco's Italian Foods
Ranked #20 of 224 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian, Pizza
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Voltaco's has good Italian food and has been there for decades. But there is a big problem. You call an order in, they tell you to show up at a certain time, like 30 minutes, and when you go, I would say that 90% of the time, the order is not ready, and they have to run around and try and get it right.

1  Thank 805teacher

Reviewed 30 July 2013

When I was a young lad growing up in Linwood, NJ (about 10 minutes from Ocean City), my dad on occasion would go to Somers Point and bring back Italian takeout from Voltaco's. What I remembered was the spaghetti came in tall cups with lids.

Fast forward to June 2013. I knew from my research that there was a Voltaco's on West Avenue, so our first night, my son and daughter-in-law and I walked over there to bring back food -- and to see if it was the same Voltaco's group. The takeout-only place was crowded, but when we ordered, I asked the woman at the counter if there had been a Voltaco's in Somers Point way back when. Oh no, she assured me, they had been at this location in Ocean City since 1954.

We waited outside for our food to be made and when it was ready, we went back in to pay. And sure enough, the spaghetti came in a tall cup with a lid. So I asked again. And this time, an older gentleman said, "Oh, you're going WAY back. Yeah, we had a place in Somers Point for awhile."

That's a long preamble to say the food at Voltaco's is truly terrific. There wasn't one of the six entrees we ordered that could be finished in one sitting. I think the baked ziti was consumed over FOUR meals. People rave about the cheesesteaks here and that's something we didn't try, but the Italian fare is HIGHLY recommended.

1  Thank glrob54
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

While vacationing in Ocean City we frequented Voltaco's 4 times! The subs were delicious and the cheesesteaks rocked! The people who own the deli and work there were awesome! We are disappointed that we can't get anything like that in Charlotte!!!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We're from New Haven, CT and yes, that's where ultimate pizza is well…, defined.

In Ocean City, Voltaco's seems to define pizza and it's really good; super cheesy and well-seasoned without drowning in puddles of oil (classic pizza mistake) The only disappointing aspect was the limp crust, but still delicious. The take-out storefront was walking distance from our OC rental and we decided to try it based on the rave reviews. Not much to look at inside, but it was hopping with business; a kind of coordinated chaos.

The counter was well staffed and we had arrived early, having overestimated the walking distance. We were promptly waited on with a cheery hello and a nice smile. When it was determined that we were too early, a gentleman came out from the back and said he would do everything he could to move us along. While we waited the counter staff checked in with us several times to provide us with an update. First-rate customer service.
Since we had to wait for a few minutes while our order was prepared, it gave us an opportunity to soak in the local color. There are a few chairs for the people who don't arrive early with a rack of local flyers to peruse. Throngs of customers, obviously experts in the Voltaco’s method, came in, were waited on immediately and were promptly sent on their way, order in hand. We noticed that most of the customers were not ordering pizza, but full dinners. Voltaco’s seems to not only define pizza, but OC Italian food in general.

Cash only. The pizza size was smaller than we are used to at a higher price. Good-sized menu available on-line. Recommended.

1  Thank Hunt201
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

Without a doubt, the best cheese steaks on the planet. Family owned an outstanding for more than 40 years.