“Better than average hoagies served slowly and with an attitude”

Voltaco's Italian Foods
Ranked #25 of 218 Restaurants in Ocean City
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian, Pizza
Moorestown, New Jersey
“Better than average hoagies served slowly and with an attitude”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I usually stop here at least once every time I come to the shore. I love the eggplant parm hoagie. I realize that if I do not order ahead of time it is a fairly long wait. I have grown to accept the less than ideal attitude when coming here. This time I was totally embarrassed as my extended family was in and I recommended them this place for a lunch time sandwich. I warned them ahead of time of want to expect, but the lady at the counter was just in one of those moods where she was doing us a favor by taking our money. First she was annoyed that some members of the group did not know what they wanted. After the order was placed, my brother asked how long and she replied 30 min. When my brother responded jokingly that he was told that it normally takes 15-20 minutes (by me), she nastily replied that the person who told you that was wrong. Lighten up lady. When it was time to pay, the order came out to slightly over $60 for 3 small hoagies and one large one with a side order of potato salad. When my brother told me the price, I told him that he was overcharged and to go back in. He reluctantly did so to deal with the nasty lady (hopefully she was the owner). The lady said she was too busy to check for the receipt and started throwing money at my brother. When she finally found the receipt in the trash, she found out that she charged $20 for the potato salad, not $2. She refunded the difference with no apology. We wanted to go back two days later, but none of us wanted to see this miserable person again. This place is worth going today, but pray that you do not get Ms. Miserable.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Steven P

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Simply the BEST!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

You name it, whatever you order, you will be satisfied! The hoagies and steaks are loaded, and the frozen entrees are worth every penny.

• Visited August 2013
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Amazing cheesesteaks”
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Well recommended. Great traditional shore service. Very good roasted red peppers too. A definite try. Be hungry.

Visited August 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
“Orders almost never ready when promised”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Voltaco's has good Italian food and has been there for decades. But there is a big problem. You call an order in, they tell you to show up at a certain time, like 30 minutes, and when you go, I would say that 90% of the time, the order is not ready, and they have to run around and try and get it right.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank 805teacher
Arlington, TN
“Blast from the past”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

When I was a young lad growing up in Linwood, NJ (about 10 minutes from Ocean City), my dad on occasion would go to Somers Point and bring back Italian takeout from Voltaco's. What I remembered was the spaghetti came in tall cups with lids.

Fast forward to June 2013. I knew from my research that there was a Voltaco's on West Avenue, so our first night, my son and daughter-in-law and I walked over there to bring back food -- and to see if it was the same Voltaco's group. The takeout-only place was crowded, but when we ordered, I asked the woman at the counter if there had been a Voltaco's in Somers Point way back when. Oh no, she assured me, they had been at this location in Ocean City since 1954.

We waited outside for our food to be made and when it was ready, we went back in to pay. And sure enough, the spaghetti came in a tall cup with a lid. So I asked again. And this time, an older gentleman said, "Oh, you're going WAY back. Yeah, we had a place in Somers Point for awhile."

That's a long preamble to say the food at Voltaco's is truly terrific. There wasn't one of the six entrees we ordered that could be finished in one sitting. I think the baked ziti was consumed over FOUR meals. People rave about the cheesesteaks here and that's something we didn't try, but the Italian fare is HIGHLY recommended.

• Visited June 2013