“Awesome location almost makes up for the filthy rooms. Almost.”

and 1 more site!
Sifting Sands Motel
Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
“Awesome location almost makes up for the filthy rooms. Almost.”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Love it and hate it - The location of this hotel is awesome. The beach, shopping, boardwalk, fantastic restaurants...nearly everything you will probably be visiting OC for is within walking distance. The staff is friendly. The room is small, but setup in a manner that makes the most of the space. The pool is clean and nice, but the pool hours are only from 10-6.
The hate it part- when we arrived our room was messy - a water bottle and food crumbs (chunks of food, really) were under a dresser by the front door, and our feet were black from the floor within 20 minutes of walking around. On days one and two we had housekeeping and all was acceptable- except no washcloths were left and not all trash was removed. We left an advance, standard tip on both days. On day three no housekeeping came - trash and dirty towels not removed, etc. At 6pm we had to go to the office on a towel search. The following day we did not leave a tip and housekeeping then left us a note and an envelope! Day five - no housekeeping. The office staff brought clean towels within an hour of going on another clean towel search. This is our last night and its hard to say whether or not we would stay again...if they could have reliably clean rooms/housekeeping, this would be a gem.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank EmyLane

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 9 August 2013

average hotel, but the front desk made up for the average room by letting us check in early and on day of checkout, we were allowed to hold on to our beach tags and park in their lot for a few hours before we left OC even though we had already checked out!! they also offered use of their outdoor showers so we could clean up before we headed home.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank zanyjaney63
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed here Aug 2-4, 2013. The room was miniature size with a "double bed", a 9" TV and not much more than that. The frig, freezer and heating elements were all connected in one piece, so this was really a small room. The bathrm had a stall showed that just about fit one person. I realize this was just a weekend at the shore, but believe me, it was tiny tiny. The pool was clean and they did supply little tiny towels that dried nothing and the parking lot was full. Once you park, you don't ever move your vehicle again. It had the typical August price for the room ($200/night) but it would have been cheaper to go the Islands!

It was conveniently located, lots of restaurants and places to shop which made the rest of it worthwhile. They did have a "cleaning staff" that changed the sheets and towels, but I brought my own and was glad I did.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rita S
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed july 25-27 and were pleased with the rooms. Nice size bathrooms, pool nice, quiet and close to the beach. We were with our 8 month old grandson and being close to the beach was definetly a plus. parking was ok but we didnt move the car the entire weekend. Only downfall was the ice machine was broken. Otherwise would stay here again. You can look at the rooms online before you book. Had a great time!! Linda Pottsown,pa

Room Tip: We stayed in Rooms 47 and 50 and were pleased.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My boyfriend and I wanted a quick get-away weekend so we decided to head to Ocean City. I searched and searched for hotels that were not outrageously priced just for a weekend stay and I stumbled upon the Sifting Sands. I read some reviews that made this place seem like a dump but its truly one of those you get what you pay for. For our weekend stay I thought it was perfect. The ice machine was broken and we had to pay for bags of ice from the front desk which was kind of a bummer, our refrigerator was more of like a freezer (it froze everything). TV was smaller than the one in my son's bedroom. The room was clean for the most part, nice size bathroom, lots of extra towels, blankets and pillows. We had trouble locking our door. Could not lock the deadbolt from the outside and had a hard time locking it from inside. Parking spaces are limited and tight. Great location...2 blocks from the boardwalk. Noise level was great. No disturbances from outside.

Room Tip: Check out the website so you can see what the rooms look like before you book them. Some rooms are...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alia D
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Do Not Stay Here! First of all they do not honor their reservations. When I got there they switched my room that chose ( months ago) and gave it to someone else. The room they tried to give me was small, dirty, dingy and not renovated.

The worst..... human bodily fluids were stewing in the toilet. The room spelled like urine. It was not cleaned. The lady at the desk was nice but, her kid was climbing on the register. The office is piled high with papers.The manager leaves at 5pm and is unavailable until the next day, so if something happens you are out of luck. I made them give me a refund.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Moni S

Travellers are raving about these Ocean City hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2013

When we walked in the room the ceiling fans and blinds had so much dust on them I had to clean them myself. The microwave was filthy which I also cleaned. There was absolutely no cabinet space to put our clothes and we lived out of our suitcases. There wasn't a clock other than on the microwave. The bedside table was missing a drawer and was beaten up. The lamp on the table wouldn't turn on as there wasn't a knob on it, we had to plug it in to get a light. When we came back from the beach the first day we were there at 5pm, we were hoping to go in the pool which was supposed to be open till 6pm, only to find the gate locked. Our 2nd day I asked the office at noon if we were going to get room service and the answer I got was "If you are lucky, but who knows" I had to ask them for towels out of uncertainty we would get room service, but it turned out we did. When we came back from the beach the pool was open, at 6 pm a girl who I assume was the lifeguard left and at the sametime 2 women with 4 kids left also and rode up the street on bikes. They weren't even occupants of this motel. The office staff is friendly, but this motel is poorly managed, The only positives were the water pressure and temperature in the shower were good and also we got free beach tags. Other than that we have no plans to come back to this overpriced motel that is in need of a major overhaul.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple