“Much better this time”

Price range: US$5 - US$39
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 September 2013

In June we had two visits there, once with friends and my son, and once just a friend and me. The visit with the larger party yielded quite disappointing food, and the visit with my friend yielded mediocre food -- tasteless broiled fish and way overdressed salad (get your Caesar salad with dressing on the side, for sure!)

Since our rented condo is only two blocks away, we decided to give them one more try. BUT this third week in September, with a party of 8, we were very pleasantly surprised to have delicious food! Did they get a new chef after the summer rush (they will be open until Christmas!) With only one other party in the restaurant (we were there VERY early, around 4:00), did the chef have plenty of time to cook to order? The huge grilled shrimp were fabulous and a favorite, the salads were very fresh and freshly chopped with tasty homemade dressings, the crab salad and crab quesadillas were good. Even the pasta was delicious -- ask for marinara if you don't care for the sauces listed. We were there with some rather fussy elderly Italian relatives, and the waitress was pure charm, giving good service without a hint of attitude.

We'll be back next June!!

Reviewed 8 September 2013

The blackened swordfish was excellent along with the service. There were twenty in our party and they got us in and served in a timely manner on a Saturday night. The menu had a great selection of fresh fish and plenty of other choices for non-seafood eaters. Loved the atmosphere!

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

I went here twice in 2 days because it was convenient - in a residential area.

Breakfast and dinner food was relatively inexpensive and adequately prepared. The breakfast server was friendly and fast. The dinner server was grumpy and slow. (Business was slow on both visits.)

The menu is fairly extensive (you've probably already looked) but the decor is what sells it. You can dine outside, too.

I'd probably go back - but I wouldn't go out of my way. There are plenty of places in OC!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Until 5:30, they have a bunch of early birds for only 15.99 which includes dessert. We ate outside & it was lovely. Food was delicious & service was great. I would not hesitate to eat there again

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We have eaten at The Island grill many times in the past and food is usually quite tastey. This time was no exception and we all(3 of us) had very fresh seafood. My husband raved about the jambalaya. The caesar dinner salads were fresh and crisp, the dressing is somewhat bland; but, with some added lemon juice it came around nicely. However, our waitress really needs to seek a different summer job. She greeted us in a very smiley and fake way and at the time we were her only table. She rushed us to choose and order and brought the drinks promptly....that is where the service went down the hill. Our salads came after we had finished our drinks while waiting and there was no bread or rolls ever brought although other tables seemed to have a basket of bread. We were unable to get her attention to get a little extra dressing and some lemons but we were able to flag down a bus boy who was able to procure the requested items. Our waitress by then had another table and had spilled a glass of water into one of the six ladies' purses and spent the remainder of our meal trying to make nicey nice with that table to make up for it. We got her attention long enough to ask if we could have more iced tead and in about 10-15 minutes she walked by and sat the huge pitcher on the table and left...no extra lemons, no pour. The food arrived in a timely manner but she never removed the empty salad plates from the table so we stacked them in a corner ourselves as the table had become a bit crowded. She did not check back until we were almost finished and tried to take away dinner plates while we were clearly still eating and then brought the check while we were eating and tried twice to pick it up. I put my credit card in it after we finished eating and she returned it to my husband for signature even though she clearly saw me pick up the check and put it back down beside me. She never asked if we enjoyed the meal or wanted anything else. We had 8:15PM reservations so things were winding down a bit and she was not all that busy. She did put on her nice act again when the check was being paid. Good food......owner/management needs to work on the service.