“really 2.5 stars”

and 1 more site!
Ocean 7
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Really 2.5 stars. Our rating is based mostly on this most recent stay with some consideration for 2 previous stays.

So this was our third stay here in 3 years. We go the same week every year. Our first year, we remember feeling that the room was good value for a beach "condo-tel"- clean, okay condition and we felt the staff was friendly enough. We booked what they call "the parents dream", an efficiency with a pull out couch in the front, walk through the kitchenette and a private bedroom with 2 double beds.

Year 2 found us strapped for cash but longing for a vacation so we downsized to a room with a day bed, trundle and king size bed. Bad choice. We could have tolerated the cramped room, we knew what we were getting into, but being near the utility/storage room and ice maker was not fun. The ice machine was leaking and left puddles in front of our door, housekeeping heaped bags of linens, garbage, carts in front of our door too- not pleasant. We never complained though and we should have. Some of the staff were/are not the most welcoming/approachable. I did comment, to someone I thought to be the manger, that one of the housekeepers who took care of our room was very nice, his response was not so nice. The best part of the room was the giant window and view of the waterpark- I could see my hubby and kids enjoying themselves on the slides!

Finally, this year we decided to get the parents dream again. The first time I called, the woman who answered sounded very busy and told me to call back the next day. When I called back to book, this next woman who answered the phone was informative but curt. Check in went okay. Just business, not a lot of pleasantries. We went to our room to discover it was in disrepair, mold was growing on the front curtains and the room itself not thoroughly cleaned. Another room was available, this one was missing most of the kitchen supplies, a third room was available. It was better than the first two and we settled in for some beach time. We paid the $5 fee for internet, it did not work most of the time but by then, I felt that I had already complained about the state of 2 rooms and did not want to turn into "that customer". I did have the "don't disturb" sign up and they cleaned our room anyway, they did a good job and even used the kids stuffed animals on the pillows but if I had known staff would have been in the room I would have put away my purse- to my knowledge nothing was taken but it was a little disarming.

When we checked out the manager was, I don't know how to explain his behavior other than to say it seemed a little off. I felt rushed, he spoke crazy fast, almost like he had drank way too much coffee. I got the feeling that I was taking him away from something else. That he was being bothered a little or interrupted, but there was not much else going on that I could see, although his attention was on the computer before I stepped to the counter, so who knows.

As we have done on stays previously, we forgot to have the kids pick out a treat from the treasure chest the night before. Usually this is not a problem, so I had my youngest ask for her treat during check out. Let's just say, we walked out with 3 children wearing long faces with tears welling and a long explanation about how sometimes (even on vacation) things do not always seem fair. Not really how I would have like for them to end a fun filled family vacation in America's Family Resort! I know the treasure chest is a "bonus"- I get that if it's busy you can't do it but there was another guy behind the desk just standing there- my kids would have waited a while for their "prize" had they asked them to. It was just sad and disappointing. I mean, they're little kids, come on. Kid's activities got a poor from my kids.

Pros: location (almost on the boards), price (in the off season), super heated pool (hot tub temps), staff (some are nice enough) great beaches, rides close by, personalized mugs for a stay of 5 nights or more, treasure chest (if you remember), beach tags, staff is knowledgeable of the area (if you can approach them), kid's potty seat

Cons: staff (some are cold/rude/swear in front of you), rooms are "individually owned" and not all are well maintained or updated, tiny bathroom in parent's dream room, dodgy internet that you have to pay for (they do give you a 15 min. free trial but it worked great for the 1st 15 minutes! ugh.)

This will be our last stay here for a while. Maybe it will improve over the next few years. Ocean City has a lot of condos and houses for rent, maybe not on the boards like Ocean 7 (there is a condo complex right across from them though) but who couldn't use a little more exercise?

Room Tip: parent's dream is okay but make sure you ask to look at the room before you pay.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank roseyday

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I've read other reviews and I am not sure where they stayed, we've stayed there for years and always found cleanliness, hospitality, a great room. The location is great and staff is always there to help. WE love it.

Room Tip: stay in the rooms ending in 22
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philaoz
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Horrible stay. Never ever again! Awful staff and facilities. Ac didn't work. Room was filthy, mold on the Ac, walls , bathroom was disgusting. Dirty bedding. There was even mold in the coffee maker! Not family friendly either. Elevator is junk and barely worked.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank carl1421
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Have been going there annually for a number of years. Though the staff and service are great, we have noticed the overall cleanliness and condition of the building going down hill. The rooms are not as clean as they used to be when we moved in and there was odors in the bathroom. We wii probably give it one more try. Great location to the boardwalk and beach.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank dickaub
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We made last minute weekend reservations for our family of 4. The location of Ocean 7 can't be beat a block from the boardwalk, parking spot assigned to our room, and efficiency kitchen. The room was small with 2 double beds, but it had everything we needed. Plus the staff was very friendly and accommodating. There are umbrellas to borrow for that unexpected sprinkle, books, boardgames, and coffee in the lobby. The decorating (our room had lots of tropical fish) was rather kitschy, but not overbearing; and the room was very clean. In addition, you can borrow their beach tags and use them after checking out with a security deposit! Definitely worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank thegangof4inNJ
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

We had a corner king room. Got a nice view of the ocean but our room came with no balcony (which was fine because that was disclosed). The room definitely needed some tlc. Bed was not very comfortable and the room was rather narrow. That being said the staff is super nice and the location is rather unbeatable. We'd return but pick a different room because the pictures on the screen behind the front desk looked to be much nicer than our room.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Cliftonduo925
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Was pleasantly surprised with the suite we had. First of all, it was a last minute trip and we were able to get a suite. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The suite is stocked with all the essentials for dining in. Plan to bring grandkids back in Sept.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple