“Excellent Adventure”
Review of Port-O-Call Hotel

Port-O-Call Hotel
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Ocean City
Reviewed 27 May 2013

A stay at the Port-O-Call was my excellent adventure. I have enjoyed staying at the Port-O-Call for many years now and getting the best away from home never gets old for this hotel. In my opinion there is no better place to stay in and around Ocean City. I have always felt that the housekeeping staff is the best I have ever experienced in over 5 decads of traveling around the world and for my wife and I this is a huge character trait of an entire hotel. I read their motto of "the only thing we overlook is the ocean" and this is so true. We plan to make this place our travel destination for many times to come. - James DeFeo, Myrtle Beach, SC

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the north side have a view of the Atlantic City Casino skyline.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank toastontoast
There are newer reviews for Port-O-Call Hotel

Reviewed 25 May 2013

I always like staying here. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean and updated and the ocean view is priceless. My only problem on craft show weekend was that the restuarant was very slow for breakfast - delicious though when it was served.

Room Tip: I like ocean front when there are just two of us. I get a corner room with a coastal view when ther...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank misty00115
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We like to come for winter and get an ocean view room and open the sliding glass door to listen to and smell the ocean while we eat Manco Manco pizza (that was delivered) and play scrabble. Then in the morning walk on the deserted beach and boardwalk and just realx There is something special about being at the beach in the winter. If it smows, even better!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SherryH1
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I have been vacationing in Ocnj since I was a baby and am now married with a baby and another on the way! I have stayed at many of the OC hotels during my many vacations down the shore and let me tell you that that port o call is hands down my favorite! I stayed here for the first time last year and the service was wonderful! I love that they have great restaurants and are very kid-friendly! My family will be staying here again this summer and we can't wait! I Love love love the big pink hotel on the beach! The location is absolutely perfect especially when you have small children and need to drag a million things to the beach for them. Can't wait for our family vacation this June!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank xbrosabalx
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I called Port-O-Call several months ago to inform them about my wedding guests staying at the Port-O-Call and see if they offered a wedding rate. We had needed about 25-30 rooms. I figured they'd be thrilled about the business. I spoke to Sandy. She was unfriendly and acted as though I was an inconvenience. I called a few times with questions; I was brushed off and put on hold. Each time she returned to the phone she asked me to refresh her memory. I understand people are busy but really? Do they not keep notes of these things? I'm a business owner and would be thrilled if one of my clients brought 25 families to my business, off season none the less. Well, when the guests arrived (some Friday and some Saturday) which Sara and Scott at the front desk were super confused about, there were major problems. Rooms were given to the wrong people, they couldn't find reservations, and they requested the confirmation # from the guests. Hello, it's 2013 the days of printing a confirmation emails are OVER. All of that info should be in their system. I'm preparing for my wedding the next day and get a phone @ 11pm from the front desk to confirm who's rooms were who's? Last time I checked, I wasn't an employee there so I'm not sure why they think I would have that info. I wasn't even staying there! Days later I'm hearing complaints of drilling on the roof. It's mothers day weekend, a Saturday with 26 rooms booked for a hotel and you're drilling? My guests called to complain, they were told the drilling would stop and it did not. I won't get in to check out time because that was a whole new round of issues. People charged twice, extra fees etc etc. The list goes on. Botton line is, we will NOT be returning. Port-O-Call seems to think they don't need the business, well they don't need our business or anyone else's that we get a chance to inform of the bad business they practice. Stay at the Watson's or the Beach Club.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank heather h
GlennLosch, General Manager at Port-O-Call Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize for any problems experienced by your guests during their stay at the Port-O-Call hotel. I spoke to my Sales Manager, Sandy regarding your perception of her demeanor during your conversations with her. This is completely out of character for her, but certainly does not excuse the fact that you felt "brushed off" and not appreciated. We have built a strong reputation for our customer service, friendly staff and overall goodwill towards our guests. I take this matter very seriously and personally. I assure you I will do everything in my power so this does not happen again.

I also investigated the issues with checkin and checkout and I would like to share my findings. Several rooms were booked by you personally, unfortunately, we were only provided with a limited number of names to correspond with your rooms, this is the reason why our front desk agents contacted you for verification and to guarantee that only the rooms you were paying for were permitted to check in under your name. Unfortunately, without all of the names, it becomes an extremely confusing situation upon check-in not only for the guest but also for our front desk agents. However, I do believe we could have done more by making sure we secured all names from you prior to check-in. I would also like to point out that confirmation letters/numbers are extremely important and should always be provided to the front desk upon request in an effort to verify and validate reservations. This is a practice adhered to by all hotels all over the world.

We did have an unforeseen problem on our roof that needed immediate attention. I do agree that the drill was noisy and had the work stopped shortly after receiving any complaints. On Sunday morning at around 9:30, our maintenance department started drilling and I personally stopped them and told them to wait until 11:30 to finish. We did receive two complaints from the same guest and I offered a resolution that seemed to rectify the situation. In addition, we also made (2) attempts to contact this guest to offer our apologies, but we did not receive a return phone call.

In reviewing the folios of (2) guests with overcharges, it was discovered that one of the charges was a pre-authorization amount on the credit cards and usually releases shortly after check-out. All other charges on these credit cards were for the proper amount.

It is always our intent to make every guest feel special and appreciated. Your business is greatly appreciated and we were honored to have hosted your guests during your special day.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Our visit was last July, but I just started writing reviews and I wanted to get my opinion in on the Port O' Call. For the last 8 years weve gone for 4 days in July with my wife's parents. It's an old hotel, but quite clean with a good location on the beach. There really isn't another hotel like it in Ocean City. We've seen a lot of changes over the years, including no more dinner service, but that's not a problem as there are plenty of restaurants nearby. POC hires seasonal help, often from Eastern Europe or the ex-USSR and they're usually pretty good. The full-time regular employees are excellent. Opt for an ocean view room - great view of the Atlantic, beach and boardwalk, with a nice breeze. The pool is large and well-maintained. When you check in you will receive a tag for the beach and the pool - don't lose them! The hotel has nothing to do with the beach (and the hotel desk people don't seem to know anything about it), but you can rent chairs and umbrellas in front of the POC. The only problem is they get taken away between 4 and 5 o'clock when there is still plenty of beach day left. We bring our own chairs, and rent the unbrella. First time visitors be aware that Ocean City is dry - no alcohol. But not to worry, simply stop at Circle Liquor or other packies before you cross to the island. You can also bring your refreshments to the room. Our experience with the weather in July has been great. Only a few rainy days over the years. Ocean City in July is pure Americana - colorful beach umbrellas, crowds of families, and very little rowdiness - partiers go elsewhere. The boardwalk is great for people-watching day or night. Compared to the boardwalks in Atlantic City and Wildwood, Ocean City has a much nicer clientele, and truly is a great place to take a family. Overall, the POC is the class of the Ocean City Boardwalk. We're booked for this July and looking forward to it.

Room Tip: We prefer Ocean front, the higher up the better.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Merman3
GlennLosch, General Manager at Port-O-Call Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your most recent stay at the Port-O-Call Hotel. All of our guests comments our extremely important to us and is communicated to our management and staff. We look forward to seeing you soon and please ask for me during your next visit.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

The location and staff were great at the Port-O-Call. They tried to accommodate our needs, but the issues we had were beyond their control.

The hotel is old and run down. Some of the rooms have been updated and are very nice, but many show years of ware and tear.

The hotel in general is NOT soundproof. We could hear EVERYTHING happening in the room next to us, and the guests were just have a regular conversation. We were staying for our anniversary weekend and we didn't want them to here EVERYTHING coming from our room either!

In the morning when the person staying next to you takes a shower, consider that your wake-up call. There is no sleeping past the sound of the water running because it's so loud.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OCNJBum
GlennLosch, General Manager at Port-O-Call Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for submitting you review regarding your recent stay at the Port-O-Call Hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay because of the noise from the adjoining room. It is our policy to ensure that your stay was an enjoyable one, which is why we would have been more than happy to move you to another room for the duration of your stay. Unfortunately, unless we are aware that a problem exists, we cannot properly address your concerns, as guest satisfaction is our top priority. I would also like to address your comment regarding the appearance of our hotel as being "old and rundown". Although the Port-O-Call hotel is an older property, the condition of the hotel is top notch with extensive renovations completed every year. All of our guest rooms have received a complete makeover, designed by professional designers, within the past (5) years with the last phase of room renovations completed in 2011. I do hope that you will contact me directly to discuss the possibility of a future stay with us.