“A perfect little getaway!!”
Review of The Ocean Plaza

The Ocean Plaza
Ranked #3 of 19 Ocean Grove B&B and Inns
Swoyersville
“A perfect little getaway!!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We absolutely loved The Ocean Plaza. Our room was cozy, breakfast on the porch was delightful and we especially enjoyed the wrap-around porch. The staff was VERY helpful with directions and recommendations for lunch and dinner.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Phila
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This place was amazing! Perfect location walking distance from Asbury. Very nice staff and they do everything to make sure you are comfortable. My partner and I spent the day at Asbury Park and walked the boardwalk. The next day we rode bikes throughout the towns. Anything We needed was easy to get to. Some things were easier to walk rather drive. To Asbury straight down the beach and in five mins you are on the boardwalk. I am looming forward towards our next stay soon. The breakfast is also a tasty perk!

• Stayed June 2014
Perry Hall, Maryland, Usa
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We planned a visit to the Scupture Gardens in Hamilton, NJ. and decided to find a place to stay for one night. When we recived an email from Travelzoo offering a great deal at the Ocean Plaza, we booked it. How fortunate for us!. The accomodation and the staff were fantastic. Ocean Grove was a great town and the tent houses were a wonderful surprise.

Room Tip: View of Ocean

New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The inn was lovely. The staff went out of their way for the quests. They were so friendly and accommodating. The breakfast served on the 2nd floor porch offered a large variety of items.
My favorite place was the front porch with its cushioned couches that were so comfortable. I will stay again.

Room Tip: Choose 1st floor if there is a problem with steps.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed in the Inskip suite on the 4th floor. If you have trouble with steps stay on a lower floor. I found the steps to be good exercise. I had a wonderful time. Everyone was very friendly. I can't wait to return. I just loved Ocean Grove!

Room Tip: If you have trouble with steps, stay on a lower floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Philadelphia area
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I claimed a travelzoo voucher for a night's stay at the Ocean Plaza. The first thing I noticed when I arrived were the tripadvisor certificates of excellence everywhere you turned. Sorry, although we enjoyed our stay, I have stayed at certificate of excellence hotels before and this should not be one of them. (The Waldorf in New Orleans is a prime example) Everytime there was a positive, there was almost always a negative to balance it. The property is indeed a block from the beach in the quaint town of ocean grove. We arrived early so our room was not ready so we went to the beach for the afternoon. They provided beach towels which is nice. For some reason, the showers on the very nice beach are actually on the sand??? Thus, you have to walk thru the sand again to get off the beach. Ok, no problem, I will just use the beach shower that will surely be outside the hotel. Nope--no sand shower, no hose, no sense. Ok, so the night manager who was very friendly explained that there were free snacks downstairs and a vending machne for soda. I found out why free snacks, the soda machine was $2 for a soda. This property is a cross b/w a hotel and a B&B; they are just not sure what they want to be. A B&B would charge a nominal fee for drinks. However, there was free bottled water in the room. Again, up and down. The room was small but was very nice--the bed had nice linens, bath and body works in the bathroom, even mouthwash. However, for some reason we received a half used bottle of conditioner, and there were no pillows or blankets in the closet. They controlled the temp so if the thin comforter wasn't enough for you, you're cold and out of luck. The room may have been small but the bathroom was downright European. If I was heavier than I already am, I would have had trouble getting in and out of the shower. They provided a top line TV, but placed it to the right of the bed instead of on the dresser in front of the bed or mounted on the wall. I'm not a neck turned to the right TV watcher. There is a fridge in the room which was nice as well. The front desk night manager did not give us accurate information about the town. He told us that the shops stay open to regular time on Sunday. We ate early based on what he said, and guess what was closed when we finished...all the shops. Ah, the half hotel/half B&B breakfast. Someone said it was a Costco breakfast--pretty dead on. It was like eating at a Hampton Inn with less service. The food was fine, but nothing was homeade or hot. Having said all that, I am picky. We had a very nice time, and I would certainly return on another well-priced voucher. However, let's not kid ourselves about this being 4.5 stars. The property has an identity crisis--it should chose hotel or B&B and stick to one.

Room Tip: Room 12 is near the breakfast eating area so it can get noisy in the morning--however, I was made aw...
1 Thank jmcalabro
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 June 2014

just got back from a 2 night stay at the Ocean Grove. It is a lovely b and b. we parked our car, checked in and did not need it until we left. everything is an easy walk away. we stayed in room 15 with a king size bed that was very comfortable. it was on the third floor so if you cannot do stairs I would recommend another room. the continental breakfast was more than we expected. there was good coffee, bagels, muffins, all sorts of Danish, hard boiled eggs, waffles, fresh fruit and a wonderful hostess. There is also complementary candy available all day as well as bags of chips. Ocean Gove is amazing - beautiful gingerbread houses and the beach is wonderful. great restaurants - especially Sea Grass - and 2 terrific old fashioned ice cream parlors. we definitely will return!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Grove
The Carriage House Bed & Breakfast
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
#5 of 19 in Ocean Grove

Been to The Ocean Plaza? Share your experiences!