“Horrendous.”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ocean Grove
New York City, New York
“Horrendous.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Rating this as terrible and titling this "horrendous" is actually not saying enough. My friend and I stayed at this "hotel" (which is far stretch) just this past weekend. (Memorial Weekend 2012) We were only staying for a night and couldn't even make it through the night. There were bugs, the windows barely opened and no air conditioning. The "hotel" is old and needs renovating and the owner seems bothered by his guests. When asked for a tube of toothpaste he huffed and puffed as he got up from his place on the couch. Like I sad we ended up leaving and the following day we asked for a refund the owner was extremely rude and refused. Actually fought with us and was extremely nasty and we were threatened with his attorney and accountant. He made us go all the way down there in traffic (we live an hour away but it took about 2) and the coward wasn't even there to face us himself. He made some kid help us out. If you like to be treated badly and want to deal with hot/humid, old and dusty conditions... by all means stay at the Albatross.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Westfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

When I booked my weekend stay reservation by phone, I was told my husband and I were getting "room 1" and that it was one of the nicest at the "hotel". Our stay at the Albatross took place in September 2011. When we arrived to check in, we were told once again that "room 1" was one of the best. I was excited and anxious to see this room I had only heard good things about. When we opened the door to the room, my first thought was, I'd hate to see the other rooms if this was what they considered to be "one of the best". Next, I noticed (and never forgot) the stale odor of the room. Room was also in need of a dusting. Although it did have some "bed and breakfast" charm, there were major parts of the room that were old and in desperate need of repair and/or upgrade. In the room, the plastic, pull-down shades (that should not even be used) that covered the windows were old, and in some places, stained, ripped, and/or damaged in a few places. There must have been a ceiling leak because there were visible water stains, cracking, and buckling of the paint and sheet-rock (or whatever the ceiling is made of) in one corner. There was not a working clock on the room. There was a clock, but with no battery. That is cheap and really inconvenient. The bathroom was the worst. Those that work at the Albatross specifically told my husband and I that bathroom in this room was the "best" because it was the only bathroom at the hotel with a full bathtub. Ok, I seriously hope that NO ONE would want to take a chance taking a bath in that thing. The tub drain had obviously not been cleaned out from the previous guest(s) because there was hair clumps and scum (and mold) in and around the drain. That's right. I had to clean it out myself to take my first shower there. And, it did not help since the tub filled with water while I showered. Another inconvenience. Then there was the over the sink mirror/medicine cabinet - water stained and crackled on the inside. I would never have stored any of my personal items on the dirty shelves of the cabinet. The faucet and spout at the bathroom sink, also dirty and OLD. The mini blinds (surprised it wasn’t a plastic shade) were do caked on with dust, it was clear they were old and never cleaned. Please see photos attached. Who knows if by now (hopefully) the Albatross has done a better job at cleaning their rooms and bathrooms. But, still, room 1 is in need of upgrades. For the price, we expected better and should have gotten better. I will definitely not ever stay here again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HMMonte
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

We made a last minute stop over in Ocean Grove and having never been here before we didn't know what to expect in general. Further, this hotel had a great web site designer--on line the place jsut looks beautiful. Also, the cost of the rooms would also indicate athat it was a bit more upscale. While aware that we would have to share a bath, and that we had only a double bed in the room--we somehow expected more. First of all no parking at all, we were placed on the top floor (no elevator), the room was TINY, and the ath was shared with many rooms! So in the beginning we were a bit put off and felt we had made a mistake.

A bit taken aback, we are seasoned travelers and very positive. So we went with the flow. The desk clerk was friendly and she had a nice kid lug our bags up the four flights of stairs. The location was fantastic--less than a block from the beach--and a nice big porch with rocking chairs. They sale beach passes for only $4 (they cost $7 at the beach)! We were given bottled water to take to the beach--no charge. There were stacks of beach towels at the door, and extra beach chairs if you desired. The room as noted was tiny, but it was very clean. The bed was comfortable. The overall decor was outdated, but in this funky sort of "back in time" way. . .all in all it was very comfortable. Coffee at breakfast was good, and there was a decent selection of breads, pastries, and fruit. We took it to the front porch and ate--so it was really nice. The houses here are very colorful and the streets are quaint and lovely.

In reality, rooms in this area are simply very expensive, and I dont' think anyone provides parking. It is what it is--an old beachside resort area with somewhat dated inns/B and Bs. Not sure I would go back to the Albatross--but for their niceness, authentic experience, and cleanliness--I have to rate it above 3 stars (average). Since you can't give 3 and a half stars, I erred on the positive side. Because overall I had a good time here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank yoyocruiser
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

I stayed here not knowing a thing about it. I was playing a gig nearby and this is where the promoters put us. At first, I wasn't excited about staying here considering how it was described to me. The words "shared bathroom and shower" didn't sit well with me.

When I got there, I was less enthused about having to carry heavy luggage up the stairs for lack of an elevator, non-air-conditioned lobby and a tiny room with a tiny bed...and no bathroom. Our room did have a window unit air-conditioner that blew very cold, but not all the rooms had air-conditioning. There was a certain "The Shining" element to the hotel, but it may have just been the old-schoolness plus the fact that we checked in at night.

But after staying there for the night, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised at the overall experience at the Albatross. We slept comfortably, the bathroom/shower thing was not that big of a deal and was surprisingly clean. They have wireless internet and a large flat-screen tv in the lobby. The service was super friendly and accommodating and the breakfast was simple but great!

Now knowing what kind of experience to expect from the Albatross Hotel, my wife and I are definitely planning on making a trip back there for a longer stay! It's a cool looking place in a beautiful and exciting area. If you're looking for the Hilton Garden Inn, then look elsewhere, but don't have in your mind America's Best Value as any sort of a close association. Very close to the beach and close to shopping and great food. And you must go to Nagle's and get the hot pastrami with swiss cheese on rye.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank SANDGRAVY82
Burlington, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

I really like staying at the Albatross. I've been vacationing there for the last four years, and will continue to do so, as long as they don't make any drastic changes.
This hotel is not a good fit for everyone. This huge place has a lot of charm, but it is old. Most visitors have to climb at least one flight of stairs to reach their room. Some rooms (at least the rooms I've stayed in) don't have televisions. There are also shared bathrooms and showers. They are clean, and well stocked. I didn't mind them at all. They were similar in style to some of the B&B's I've frequented in Europe. But the Albatross is not to be confused with a typical modern American hotel.
Staying at this hotel is like staying at a home away from home. Bill and Marcy are by far the most accommodating hoteliers I've ever dealt with. Time after time, they have gone the extra mile to ensure that I, my family, and friends have had an enjoyable stay. This winter my wife and I stayed at a couple of upscale hotels. They had all the modern conveniences, comfortable rooms, and nice locations. But the service was so impersonal as to be forgettable.
That's never an issue at the Albatross. Visitors, guests, and strangers seem to connect there. Maybe it's the proximity to the Great Auditorium that brings people of shared interests together. Maybe the peaceful and spiritual town of Ocean Grove has something to do with it. I don't know. But, whatever the Albatross lacks in modern amenities, it more than makes up for in customer service and old fashioned charm. It's a comfortable place and a very cozy one too.

Stayed July 2010
3 Thank george46334
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

Bill & Marcy Reilly, owners of the Albatross Hotel, Ocean Grove, NJ, graciously opened their B&B along with others across America to honor the Vets with a free night stay at their charmingly renovated inn in a richly historic and architectural treasure of a small seacoast town. They offered a very comfortable stay and even organized and mounted a comedy show for the vets and their spouses. It is a family oriented inn which I highly recommend.
Bill Sattan

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank billsattan
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

This hotel was a "trip" all in itself. Upon arriving to the Albatross, we were unaware of the fact that they didn't have a parking lot, nor any assigned parking. Because of this, we had to drive around for 10-15 minutes (throughout the trip if we wanted to drive anywhere) to go around in the teeny tiny area around the hotel. That's a headache all in itself that I'm not going to write about! Anyway, when arriving there, we had to bring all of our bags up by ourselves, and I'm not some priss that would need something like this, however, we were up 3 flights, and with lots of bags, it's really hard to do all on your own. The woman at the front desk said that there was a boy who was supposed to come into work and he helps with the bags, but she didn't think he was going to show up. There were no TV's in the room (which isn't horrible, but kind of annoying. Especially if you like to do that before bed like me!) and to much of my, and the person I was staying with's dismay, the "free internet" that they promised didn't work in our room. So, it was really ONLY for sleeping. However, I was out to go on a nice relaxing vacation. In the morning, breakfast (every single day) was bagels, not very good pastries, and when they ran out of food, they ran out. They promise a "continental breakfast" BS! Also, the cleaning people never cleaned our room (even when we told the guy who actually owns it about 4 times throughout the day!!) They never cleaned it. We wanted to leave but he gave us a not very favorable option when it came to getting some money back, so we held out for one more day. And just so we could enjoy what little vacation we had left, left there without a refund of one night, and stayed in a beautiful Inn that we usually stay at in Bayhead up by point pleasant. Definitely wish we just went there in the first place!!

To be honest, I wasn't too thrilled with the whole area anyway. Ocean Grove really seems like a place that you would visit for just a day.

The only good thing about the Albatross is that it is down the block from the beach, you can actually see the blue of the ocean from sitting on the deck, and you can walk right into town. But, you can do that with any of the hotels on that strip, and some are even closer to the ocean.

There are some good restaurants, but there's nothing special about this place. You almost sort of feel caged in because if you go one way, you're in a bad area, and if you go another, it's just a couple blocks of restaurants. However, maybe if the hotel wasn't so horrible, the whole place may have been looked at differently. I'd say it's more of a day trip, would never ever stay at the hotel again, and I do not recommend it. Unless you are very low maintenance (which isn't a bad thing) but I mean, you just want to come back to this place and use it for sleep only and just have whatever for breakfast because it's not a big deal to you, then you will be unsatisfied.

• Stayed August 2010

Hewitt Wellington
#1 of 6 in Spring Lake
Hampton Inn Neptune/Wall
The Carriage House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Albatross Hotel? Share your experiences!