“Hated the time there in 2012”
Review of Albatross Hotel

Albatross Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ocean Grove
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Okay, a few things:
1) To start off with, the owner man had a bit of an attitude.
2) Without telling me when I booked the room for 2 nights, the bathroom on the second floor was broken so, I had to go up the stairs to the third floor (after a leg injury).
3) The 3rd floor shared shower had no ventilation and was boiling hot in early August so, that you felt sweaty coming out of the shower while drying off.
3B) Also, someone's left over shampoo and washcloth was in the shared shower for 2 days in a row.
4) There also was undisclosed construction that: A) woke me up B) kept me up during a nap.
5) There was an issue with breakfast I forget what exactly,
Etc. etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NjDah

Reviewed 2 May 2013

I just spent some time at the Albatross and felt I had to right a review. It was a warm and friendly place where the owner went out of his way to make sure all our needs were met. The second floor porch was a delight to sit and drink my coffee and look out at the ocean. I will absolutely be back when I visit Ocean Grove again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank thom c
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I haven't stayed there for several summers now but the last time I was there (maybe about 3 summers ago), it was on the decline. The owner was had a bit of an attitude & some of the amenities I remembered from the summer before were gone. Breakfast was a joke. The hospitality seems to be gone from that place. After reading some of these reviews, I will never go back & that's a shame.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Susan D
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I've stayed at Albatross a couple times over the years but don't plan to stay there again when I visit Ocean Grove. Although we had great interactions with some young helpers on the phone in advance, the owner was really churlish and not hospitable to me or my friend. It's well known in Jersey Shore beach b&b's/boarding houses that guests stay around on Sunday to swim, then shower back at the hotel before they leave. Especially in OG where the beach doesn't open until noon on Sundays due to church restrictions, this is always the case. Well darned if he didn't try to make my friend and I feel strange about that when we asked. Our few interactions with him were negative. Their breakfast was cereal. The rooms are quite run down. There is shared shower on each floor and ours wasn't working, meaning you have to walk up another flight to the one overused shower. The porch was about the only pleasant thing. There are plenty of other places to stay in OG, I think Albatross really needs to step up its game. I was definitely surprised at how it has gone downhill.

Room Tip: we picked a front room so we would have a bit of an ocean view and be near the front porches
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank TravelKBklyn
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This is an awesome old home turned into hotel rooms in a very quaint town!
The front desk people were all wonderful and very helpful!
Price comes with continental breakfast and hosted by very friendly staff. After breakfast the owner gave me a tour of the other types of accommodations, each room was decorated just as wonderful as my twin room, beautiful wrought iron furniture and a few had private bathrooms.
My twin bedroom was so adorably decorated that I took several photos to share with my family and my room had a bathroom sink! The toilets and shower are located down the hall. After reading a few reviews, I felt nervous and brought along my sleeping bag. But there is no need to feel nervous as I found out, this place is clean,beautiful and cared for by the attentive owner and staff. Anywhere you go or whatever you do in life if you have an issue let the personnel know as soon as possible since the owner here only wants the best for their guests. Enjoy your stay, I did! PS. Walking around town was very comfortable and safe even after dark for this single lady. Just know that you will have to buy a pass to walk the beach prior to 4pm. Parking was free!

Room Tip: Just ask about the rest room locations so you are prepared to walk the hall in a cover up
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Theresa M
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My Family of 5 wanted to take a weekend vaca' at the beach and being from Ohio Jersey Shore was the closest. When we found out about the small, quiet town of Ocean Grove we figured it would be just right. Upon seeing the pictures from the Albatross' website we thought it was just too sweet and decided to stay there. Granted it is somewhat primitive, but it was what we were going for. The shared bathrooms were always clean, and the rooms were done up in very charming Victorian shore style, The breakfast wasn't anything to rave about but nothing to complain about either. We found it very convenient that they had the following available for your day on the sand; beach towels, Beach chairs, Umbrellas, (they even had a kite) and yes the shore is just a sweet little walk away from the front porch, so is main ave. which hosts many nice little cafes and shops. The staff were accommodating and friendly. Also they sell beach passes for $4 (at the beach they are $7) which was a nice little bonus.
So if you're thinking of booking this place but your nervous because of the other reviews; my advice is to base your decision upon the kind of vacation you're planning. if you're looking for an all-inclusive, glamour packed trip to the beach, don't stay here. but if you're looking for a family friendly, relaxing, quaint, memorable trip to the ocean that dosn't completely drain your bank account, then this is right for you!
Hope this was helpful!
Happy planning.

Room Tip: There aren't any elevators; so if you don't like having to climb stairs then take the 2nd fl...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Sernsie
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with the Albatross Hotel. We booked this spur of the moment for a Saturday night in June and did not know what to expect. The hotel was remarkably clean and the staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make our short stay a pleasurable one. Granted this is not the most ornate and elaborate B&B in Ocean Grove, but you will pay for that. For the price we paid it was more than adequate for a stay at the beach. The location is perfect, located on the pathway a few hundred feet from the beach and walking distance to the shopping district and Asbury Park. We opted for the room that had a half bath and a shower down the hall, which for us was worth it. Hotel is kid friendly and even has a room dedicated for children to play in. Room was very clean and nicely decorated and there are multiple porches to relax on. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is heading to the beach for a couple of days and does not plan on staying much time in their room, that is what I go down the shore for anyway. There was no TV in the rooms which I found to be a positive, because it gets you outside. Showers and shared bathroom were very clean and breakfast was continental, but had nice touches like breads and pastries from a very good local bakery. If you are on a budget and are looking for a place to get away, this is perfect. We will definitely look to stay in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Lillagaard Inn Bed and Breakfast
Bellevue Stratford Inn
Bellevue Stratford Inn
#12 of 19 in Ocean Grove

Been to Albatross Hotel? Share your experiences!