“Special Veterans Day Stay”
Review of Albatross Hotel

Albatross Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ocean Grove
New York City, New York
“Special Veterans Day Stay”
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Bill & Marcy Reilly, owners of the Albatross Hotel, Ocean Grove, NJ, graciously opened their B&B along with others across America to honor the Vets with a free night stay at their charmingly renovated inn in a richly historic and architectural treasure of a small seacoast town. They offered a very comfortable stay and even organized and mounted a comedy show for the vets and their spouses. It is a family oriented inn which I highly recommend.
Bill Sattan

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank billsattan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
New Jersey
Reviewed 27 September 2010

This hotel was a "trip" all in itself. Upon arriving to the Albatross, we were unaware of the fact that they didn't have a parking lot, nor any assigned parking. Because of this, we had to drive around for 10-15 minutes (throughout the trip if we wanted to drive anywhere) to go around in the teeny tiny area around the hotel. That's a headache all in itself that I'm not going to write about! Anyway, when arriving there, we had to bring all of our bags up by ourselves, and I'm not some priss that would need something like this, however, we were up 3 flights, and with lots of bags, it's really hard to do all on your own. The woman at the front desk said that there was a boy who was supposed to come into work and he helps with the bags, but she didn't think he was going to show up. There were no TV's in the room (which isn't horrible, but kind of annoying. Especially if you like to do that before bed like me!) and to much of my, and the person I was staying with's dismay, the "free internet" that they promised didn't work in our room. So, it was really ONLY for sleeping. However, I was out to go on a nice relaxing vacation. In the morning, breakfast (every single day) was bagels, not very good pastries, and when they ran out of food, they ran out. They promise a "continental breakfast" BS! Also, the cleaning people never cleaned our room (even when we told the guy who actually owns it about 4 times throughout the day!!) They never cleaned it. We wanted to leave but he gave us a not very favorable option when it came to getting some money back, so we held out for one more day. And just so we could enjoy what little vacation we had left, left there without a refund of one night, and stayed in a beautiful Inn that we usually stay at in Bayhead up by point pleasant. Definitely wish we just went there in the first place!!

To be honest, I wasn't too thrilled with the whole area anyway. Ocean Grove really seems like a place that you would visit for just a day.

The only good thing about the Albatross is that it is down the block from the beach, you can actually see the blue of the ocean from sitting on the deck, and you can walk right into town. But, you can do that with any of the hotels on that strip, and some are even closer to the ocean.

There are some good restaurants, but there's nothing special about this place. You almost sort of feel caged in because if you go one way, you're in a bad area, and if you go another, it's just a couple blocks of restaurants. However, maybe if the hotel wasn't so horrible, the whole place may have been looked at differently. I'd say it's more of a day trip, would never ever stay at the hotel again, and I do not recommend it. Unless you are very low maintenance (which isn't a bad thing) but I mean, you just want to come back to this place and use it for sleep only and just have whatever for breakfast because it's not a big deal to you, then you will be unsatisfied.

• Stayed August 2010
4 Thank lbrookesbee

Travellers are raving about these Ocean Grove hotels

Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Well all I can say is that my daugther and I wanted to try something different we usually go to the Bently in Bayhead which I'm truly sorry I didn't, which we are leaving this horrible hotel and going to the Bently Inn in Bayhead tomorrow for one night so I can still enjoy my vacation. Service is horrible! the continental breakfast was horrible! so if you think of staying here No TV some rooms No Air in rooms just some. Bathrooms' not clean! This area is good for one nite only! I would never recommend this place to anyone. My child wasn't feeling well and I wanted to leave to be refunded for only one day which they would not due! So think twice about coming here!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank lucy46430
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Delightful service included baggage help and tour of facilities with Bill. Owners graciously welcomed my day visitor friends. Accomodations were as expected. Guests were permitted to use kitchen, dining room and bath facilityies on the first floor, even permitting use of the facility after I checked out on Monday. Location couldn't be better. The only concerns were: no extra toilet tissue in bathroom, very noisy bathroom fan and no luggage stand, which meant I had to stoop and lift with a weak back and I wished there were more flowers around the porch and yard area. One special thing was that Bill remembered my name after our first meeting. Can't wait to return and my friends were so delighted with my room that they want to join me next time! PS: breakfast bagels were the best!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 September 2009

My friend and I decided to go to the shore at the last minute on Labor Day weekend. Since we didn't want to travel too far or spend a fortune we decided to try and find a place in at the north end of the shore. Ocean Grove is a place I visited with my Mother when I was a kid. She always called it Ocean Grave since it was a dry town, had no boardwalk honkey tonk and was pretty much closed on Sundays. It hasn't changed. The Albatross had an open room at a very reasonable price ($114) so we grabbed it. The owner was gracious and attentive. Our room, while VERY small had two very comfortable beds and an air conditioner. The shared bath was down the hall and was clean and well appointed. The shower was forceful and there was plenty of hot water. Breakfast was fine. Assorted baked goods from the town bakery, cereal, coffee, juice and bagels. The hotel supplied beach towels and sold discounted tickets for the beach. There is only street parking and it can be a bear to find a spot. The beach is closed until 12:30 on Sunday mornings - we walked up the boardwalk and spread out on the beach at the line between Asbury and Ocean Grove so we wouldn't have to pay again for the beach at Asbury. The hotel was fine for a quick getaway, the cost is reasonable, the owner amenable to our changing there after we checked out. If your looking for elegance, in room TV's, room service etc this is not the place...but if you want room with comfortable beds, cleanliness and a decent breakfast, the Albatross will fit the bill.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
NYC
Reviewed 25 July 2009

I don't know what hotel these other folks were staying in or smoking, but my experience as a frequent traveller was horrible. The gentleman at the front desk that checked me in was about as rude as anyone I've met. We actually squared off, because I interupted a phone call he was on. Now to the room - no A/C, bathroom down the hall shared with everyone else on my floor, and a twin bed. To call this a hotel is a lie! It's an old dilapidated house serving as a hostel. And yet they want $190 a night for this? Not thinking so...

Unless you like to share your shower with others, and sleeping in the humid heat, avoid this place at all cost!! The name is fitting though :) it truly is an Albatross!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I'll admit after reading some of the reviews about the hotel I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm happy to say my stay was great! Bill and his wife are incredibly friendly and gracious. They made our stay comfortable and relaxing, and the location can't be beat! Ocean Grove is my new favorite beach getaway. I would definitely recommend this place for friends and family.

The rooms are simple but have everything you need; towels, shampoo, body wash. The only downside is that if you have a shared shower there are no showers allowed after 10pm.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Bellevue Stratford Inn
Bellevue Stratford Inn
#9 of 19 in Ocean Grove
Lillagaard Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Albatross Hotel? Share your experiences!