“Okay, could be better”

Ranked #5 of 19 Ocean Grove B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Okay, could be better”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed at the Majestic on a busy July weekend. The location is very nice- on the main street and on the ocean block. The place was kept up pretty well. Overall, it was nice but we wouldn't stay there again. The service was not very friendly at all, for starters. Also, a manager or owner had taken up one of the public seating areas and made it her own personal office space - laptop, papers everywhere - pretty tacky. The original rooms in the front looked spacious, with some nice views, but fair warning, all the lobby noise travels right up the stairs and probably to the rooms. We stayed in the newer, added-on rooms in the back. These back rooms were very quiet and the bathroom was new and nice. The queen bed was fluffy and comfortable. But they were extremely small, just barely a bed, dresser and one wood chair fit. Your only choice was to sit on the bed. Basically, only a place to sleep. Our gripes: the wall air conditioner was broken and substituted with a window unit. This wall unit had a large broken panel dangling from it, covered with dirt and mold, which ran down the wall to the floor. Since you only had one seating space - the bed - that yucky thing was constantly in your view. We asked the front desk to clean it up and fix it but they just swiped it - didn't help at all. We finally stuffed the panel with a bunch of washcloths so we wouldn't have to look at it anymore. The wireless does not work in the back rooms - we had to keep going downstairs to the lobby. On our second day, we left for the morning and came back and discovered we were missing one of our keys. We searched high and low, in the car, etc. because we didn't want to get charged for a lost key and key ring. When we told the desk the next morning at checkout, she looked, said she had it, and that the maid must of thought we checked out yesterday so she took it. Really?? We didn't want to take our clothes and luggage with us? Also, the breakfast was nothing special and often ran low before being stocked up again. I know this is a hotel with it's own public restaurant, but during the day, there wasn't a single refreshment or snack out for guests - no water, coffee, an apple, a cookie, nothing. So if you're looking for that nice B&B experience, this is not the place for you. We stay in Ocean Grove every year, trying out new places to stay, and I have to say, while this place was nice in some aspects, for the price, small room, and not-so-friendly service, I would choose another place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Traveller12251213

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

I thought the place was decent until I lost all power to the room and my air conditioner went out! I couldn't charge my iphone either on this steamy night and I started to panic. I picked up the hotel phone and I got the AT&T operator! Not a hotel lobby. I had to google the hotel to get a number to call lobby to ask why the power was lost! I awoke a woman who arrived at my door at 2AM and the power miraculously went on as she knocked. I.e. the air conditioner-
Brutal.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Pmzboston
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We were in search of a quiet, casual, calm, no-energy required, quick getaway to get some rest and respite after my dad passed away a few weeks ago; the last few months were emotional, stressful and very hectic. I wanted to go somewhere that would not require a great deal of travel and would not require fancy clothes, a car, or anything to worry about. (Advice for fellow NY'ers - take the train from Penn Station and leave the car home). A friend of mine used to own a home in Ocean Grove and she recommended a few hotels and B and B's in the town. As it was the absolute height of the season and I had an extremely short amount of time to plan, book, and go, we ended up booking the "penthouse" room at the Majestic. Extremely expensive but I was desperate for some distance and some quiet. I got both at the Majestic.

The hotel could not be better situated. It is two very short blocks from the ocean and two very short blocks from "town." Our room was part of the newer section of the hotel but that was fine with us; I am not a big fan of country kitsch, beachy decor or the whole seashell and sand motif thing that many of these kinds of places have. It is very tasteful, not tacky and not filled with a million knick knacks covered in dust. For quiet, the penthouse cannot be beat. It is on its own floor. The living room, bedroom and bathroom all have their own televisions, and each room has a door that closes so I could easily nap while my husband watched baseball in the other room. The bathroom is terrific, an extra large jacuzzi tub and a stall shower - I went in to town and bought myself some relaxing bath salts and just relaxed in the tub while watching tv! This is something I do not get to do in my tiny NYC apartment so it was a treat. There is a kitchenette that is complete with dishes, cutlery, a small refrigerator and a microwave, so we could buy food and eat in, which saved us some money considering how much we were overspending on the room.

A few very minor "flaws" truly did not detract from our overall experience. We wondered a little bit about housekeeping - our trash was only taken out once during our four night stay there, and our balcony clearly had not been swept or cleaned in a while - though our bed was made very promptly when we left our room in the morning, which was great. We felt that breakfast could have been even better if it had included something warm or a little more substantive, considering there is a full restaurant on site. The presence of the restaurant is a benefit if one decides to utilize it but can also be an annoyance - twice during our four nights, there were events occurring that crowded the restaurant and closed off the lobby to paying guests, and also, the porch is taken up completely by tables - which is great when you want to eat there but not so great when all you'd like to do is sit on the porch and read. The plastic Adirondack chairs out front just didn't work so well for that. All of these are very minor things, truly - we would happily go back. I guess when you are paying more for a room than you have ever paid before, (kind of ironic its at a Jersey shore B and B and not at a Paris or London hotel!) you look at these things a little more closely! I would most likely not stay in the penthouse again just because it is overpriced, but of course now I am spoiled for any other room!! I also want to add that on the website it said they did not really have the accommodations for children under 10 - which appealed to us on this trip because we really wanted quiet - however there were most definitely a few rooms over a few nights that had very young children in them. Because we were in the penthouse we heard no noise so it didn't matter to us but did make us wonder how we would have felt if we had been in a different room.

The staff was friendly enough. I was not in a very social or talkative mood while I was there, given the reason for my visit, and I appreciated that they were friendly and pleasant. They helped us with taxis, carried our luggage up to the room, and were as helpful as we needed them to be.

Ocean Grove is a beautiful, easy getaway from NYC. Some good restaurants, cute shops, easy access to the livelier Asbury Park area, great for being outdoors, and truly a step back in time. We can't wait to go back, hopefully next time under happier circumstances. Thank you, Majestic, for helping me during my grieving process.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a room with a balcony - if you like to sit outside - because the main por...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I'll start by saying there are two types of rooms here - we stayed once at Christmas time (in a nearly empty hotel) in a big front room with lots of windows and space to relax...comfy sitting area, huge bed, big bathroom...this time we stayed in July in the newer back rooms that, while nicely appointed, are quite small. The bathroom was large enough but the dripping water faucet drove me nuts - not that I heard it; I just couldn't stand the fact that water was being wasted. The bed linens were very nice - bed was a queen. The fridge, microwave, coffee maker were all good and there was a closet with hangers and a bureau and a desk. WiFi was non-existent and no one seemed to know the way to access it. We did like having the small balcony because otherwise there was no place to sit except on the bed. The air conditioner was a window unit and worked until early morning the day we were leaving. Maid service was ok but I could tell the floor was not mopped while we were there or even before we got there - sandy! The included breakfast was very forgettable. So one pays quite a bit for the "luxury" of being at the shore on a prime summer week-end and one makes the best of it but with just a little more attention to detail (and training of staff perhaps) this could still be a winner. The location is very good and we liked that they provide beach chairs, beach towels, and discounted beach passes.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank workfortrips
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My mate and I visited The Majestic last week and my warmest thanks for an incredible time from the minute we walked into the B&B it was just like the picture on their website. A warm space where we sat for their Continental Breakfast while reading the paper looking out to a peaceful view. The spacious room with rich brown walls, shiny clean with fridge to put our champagne and yummy snacks, the microwave in which we heated up our take out leftovers and a darling porch to hang out in the evening while being serenaded by the next door neighbor playing Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra.

Just when you think it can't get better, you've got the beach a block away, a town that looks like time stood still, the best Sea Scallops I've had even in some of the best restaurants in NY, kudos to the Chef!

My thanks to Valerie (remember if I win lotto, I'm going to buy it from you) to Phil the nicest funniest waiter, manager and wine delivery Guy ever. You are the luckiest man on earth, getting to do what you love. Finally thanks to Jim, who promised my room would be great and it was. See you soon!!!!,

Room Tip: I would tell you to choose the room I had, but will keep that my secret as I plan to return this sum...
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2013

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zoila A
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We were given a tiny room in back. There was no closet so we had to hang clothes on the back of the bathroom door. The television didn't work. The advertised wireless was not working. The floor above us was not carpetted so loud footsteps could be heard whenever people walked in the room above us. That being said, the decor was nice to look at and the bathroom was clean. The location is great, right near the center of town and steps away from the ocean. Might stay here again, but certainly would be careful to inspect the room first.

• Stayed June 2013
The Ocean Plaza
The Ocean Plaza
#3 of 19 in Ocean Grove
Lillagaard Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Majestic Hotel? Share your experiences!